Lighter Shaft Weight in Irons

What’s the lightest weight and flex you would play?

• 121 + grams

• 105-120 grams

• 90-104 grams

• 75-89 grams

• 74 and less

• X-Stiff

• Stiff

• Regular

• Senior

• Ladies

Results are only viewable after voting.

Golfers Anonymous

Just Decent
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Over my fitting we tried some drastic stuff to get me where I wanted to be numbers wise so was curious as to what’s the lightest weight you could play as well as flex?

As light as possible. Played 65g for months with no issues and actually liked them quite a bit.

Playing 105 now which is why I chose it but no issues playing the same shaft in 75gm

Playing 105 now which is why I chose it but no issues playing the same shaft in 75gm
So in the 75g range what flex would you be able to comfortably control?

So in the 75g range what flex would you be able to comfortably control?
The shafts I'm using have a Stiff flex in that weight, my 105 are S+, in the 75 it's had some serious swing speeds thrown at it in testing and has come through with flying colors for stability and not feeling like you are losing control.

I've twice tried 95g and twice found better dispersion with 110/115g ranges.

That said, I'll play any flex if it works well.

105 was best for me in a fitting, but I'm sure I could play 95 if needed.

105g. Played them for a while, specifically the modus 105. In my recent fitting DG x100 just worked better. I did really like the Modus 105 though

110 g and stiff is working for me.

I tried DG S300 at 127g Saturday with the Blue Print S.
Man that was a real heavy club.
I couldn't break 80 mph with my swing speed.
With my shaft I'm 85-87 on average.

110 g and stiff is working for me.

I tried DG S300 at 127g Saturday with the Blue Print S.
Man that was a real heavy club.
I couldn't break 80 mph with my swing speed.
With my shaft I'm 85-87 on average.
At the other end what’s the lightest you could comfortably play?

The most “ideal” set of numbers I’ve seen in two years was with 60g R flex Matrix. Lower launch and more spin than 110g steel, believe it or not.

I saw very good things with XXIO 45g shafts in certain clubs too.

I’d play anything in any flex, or at least give it a shot.

My Aerojet irons that I got last year have the UST Recoil ESX 460 F4 shaft and I believe they are about 67g. The lighter weight, higher launching shaft has been a fantastic pairing with the Aerojets. Easily the longest irons I've ever played.

High 80s is the lightest I have tried so far but would certainly be willing to try lighter. Maybe mid 70s. Moved to reg flex in wood shafts and time to do the same for irons.

Too heavy and it costs me clubhead speed and makes it hard to consistently square up the face (lots of low, cutty shots).

Too light and it's flip city, lots of flipped-fat duffs mixed in with the occasional handsy pull-hook.

I can play OK with anywhere between 95g and 110g or thereabouts but I gain a little distance and height by staying in the lower end of that range. Basically no graphite and no "Tour" weight DGS300 type stuff but most things in between work OK.

I think if I could speed up my body turn and post up better on my front side there might be a lot to be gained from really light shafts. Like even 60-70g graphite. But with my regrettable tendency to hang back and flip I need some more club weight as a safety throttle on my arms swing. If I'm going to hang back it's better to hit a high, straight push than hanging back and sling a big old handsy hook.

Whatever the fitter says works best for me- I'm open to anything as long as it works!!

I was playing 95 gram R flex steel shafts and in my latest fitting 75 gram KBS graphite shafts in R flex worked best.

Prefer something in the 90s now, could play 80s if necessary. Wouldn’t rule out lighter weights as I get older.

Whatever fits best. Don't care. Currently in 95g graphite Regular flex.

I might schedule a big box fitting to try out some heavier shafts. If the results look good, I'll get with CC and the fitter I used before. I just don't want to spend the $$ unless it's worth it. It's one of the only real ponders I have right now...

I don’t want to go any lower than 95g in fact I have better feel through my swing with something in the 105 range usually.

I’ve played Recoil 95s for 3 years now and have a good understanding of what the shaft does with my swing so went with it again in my most recent iron purchase.

Also never going back to steel so this is me talking graphite specifically.

I have a light shaft in my PXG 0211DC irons, the MMT60 that specs out at 60g for "senior" flex. I hit my Apex CF19 irons better that have a little heavier shaft, the UST Recoil ES which in F2 flex is supposed to be 68g. One of these days I am going to go back to PXG for another iron fitting and see if that holds true for either the Gen 5 or 6 0311P irons.

I have a light shaft in my PXG 0211DC irons, the MMT60 that specs out at 60g for "senior" flex. I hit my Apex CF19 irons better that have a little heavier shaft, the UST Recoil ES which in F2 flex is supposed to be 68g. One of these days I am going to go back to PXG for another iron fitting and see if that holds true for either the Gen 5 or 6 0311P irons.
I have those same Recoil shafts in my Srixon ZX5's. They work great for me.

Up until recently I played 75g shafts with no issue. I'm sure I didn't see the numbers I wanted probably distance wise a bit, but I felt comfortable with them and would go back to them with no problem.

At the other end what’s the lightest you could comfortably play?
I played TaylorMade R7s and believe those were 90-95g shafts. I'm not sure though.
Right now, Modus 105 S or X are as low as I would go.
Otherwise and start to over swing a ton.

note: I did like the Steelfiber FC 90, I think that's the name.
They were in used Forged TEC X irons and swung them for about 20 swings.

Back