Long hitters gym routines

Keegik

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey.

Have any of you guys ever looked into long hitters gym routines?

Would really like to get my swing speed from 110 to 120-125

I have superspeed as well, but would like to put in some serious gym time to support the gains.

Any good plan out there?

Would be ready to work on it 3-4 day a week for a year to gain that.

I can't speak to specific plans other than hitting core and compound movements HARD.

Due to Father Time and a bad back, I've since lost much. But in 2010, at nearly 43 yrs old and after yet another back injury, I parked the clubs and hit the gym where I HAMMERED core and compound movements.

I'd always (prior to and around that time time) been an avid lifter but had slacked off for a while. Within 6 months I'd put on 20 lbs of muscle (thank goodness for muscle memory!) and became very strong once again.

In this particular offseason, I never once touched a golf club. Truth be told, after getting hurt again, I was spooked and afraid to do so. So I just kept lifting.

Come the next season I felt stronger, younger, like the athlete who I once was.

Hit the range and then the course, took the same swing, or so it felt. Yet suddenly I was nearly 2 clubs longer with irons and 20 to 25 yards longer with driver. Same swing, similar effort, vastly different results.

Since, I've become a huge proponent of overall strength, especially core, being of immense benefit to the golf swing.

I became lazy over time due to repeated back injuries and have only recently returned to the gym at 52 yrs old.

Again hitting core hard along with squats (scary wrt injury history), leg presses, bench press, etc. I still can't deadlift due to the back, but waddaya know?

Without even trying, just a few weeks in, my distance has jumped. A lot.

Strength WORKS. Just maintain flexibility (or improve upon it) at all costs.

I can't speak to specific plans other than hitting core and compound movements HARD.

Due to Father Time and a bad back, I've since lost much. But in 2010, at nearly 43 yrs old and after yet another back injury, I parked the clubs and hit the gym where I HAMMERED core and compound movements.

I'd always (prior to and around that time time) been an avid lifter but had slacked off for a while. Within 6 months I'd put on 20 lbs of muscle (thank goodness for muscle memory!) and became very strong once again.

In this particular offseason, I never once touched a golf club. Truth be told, after getting hurt again, I was spooked and afraid to do so. So I just kept lifting.

Come the next season I felt stronger, younger, like the athlete who I once was.

Hit the range and then the course, took the same swing, or so it felt. Yet suddenly I was nearly 2 clubs longer with irons and 20 to 25 yards longer with driver. Same swing, similar effort, vastly different results.

Since, I've become a huge proponent of overall strength, especially core, being of immense benefit to the golf swing.

I became lazy over time due to repeated back injuries and have only recently returned to the gym at 52 yrs old.

Again hitting core hard along with squats (scary wrt injury history), leg presses, bench press, etc. I still can't deadlift due to the back, but waddaya know?

Without even trying, just a few weeks in, my distance has jumped. A lot.

Strength WORKS. Just maintain flexibility (or improve upon it) at all costs.
Any set routine or just as long as I have well focused training on different sections of the body during my 3-4 routine and adding core routine to each?

Most of the ones I’ve seen are compound movements as mentioned above. Squats, deadlifts, rows, pull up or pull downs. Core core core! It’s about building a foundation that can support the swing. Also I am sure they are doing stability work, meaning balance exercises. Bryson has mentioned doing the workout in explosive movements meaning you don’t get faster by moving weight slowly.

So core core and explosive movements?

12 and 16 ounce curls. Occasionally a 23 oz schooner or 32 oz mug when I really want gains!

Back