Photo Heavy (Long post) My journey to Morgan Cup: One Length or Not?

Cobra one length forged tec have definitely helped my game. I am on vacation and just wanted to post a brief update. My cap is dropping lower than ever. Today I shot a 76 and it is the first time I have had back to back rounds in the 70’s. I had a best since Arccos of 13 GIR today on a day where my tee shots were off (5/14 FIR) and my putting was average (35 putts). I feel the forged tec irons and one length suit me perfectly. If you read earlier in the thread, my approach was around 20 in Arccos and I have bringing that down over the last month or so. Last two round stats:
E3DFFA05-4849-4BE4-9995-791B127F4D5B.png
CE793093-551D-421C-A6A0-73349E8B7FD6.png

Sean, what's your handicap down to now? How much has it dropped since switching?

Sean, what's your handicap down to now? How much has it dropped since switching?
When I was selected to Morgan Cup, I restarted my official handicap and was 11.1. I started practicing more to get ready and was 10.9 when I got my MC set of one length clubs. Today, I am at 9.2 on my cap.

I have typically been around 12 on my cap for as long as I remember. I was keeping it unofficial for a long while until this year

Last edited:
Morgan Cup week is a great time to revisit this thread. In case you don’t want to go back, I will recap the journey:

*Picked for MC in January and was interested in OL.
*Almost gave up on OL because not many in PHX wanted to fit for it
*found some demo days and got great guidance from Jose Miraflor and decided on OL
* Got my clubs in March and my hcp was at 10.9
* have had a number of personal bests this year: most gir, most fir, back to back rounds in 70’s
*my 2020 golf goal of single digit handicap was met and I was at historic low in July of 9.1
*my 2020 goal of weight loss was not met ;)
*some health issues limited me in August and beginning of September, but I am back playing as of mid-September.

I will be forever grateful for the Morgan Cup opportunity and don’t see myself playing any irons other than Cobra One Length going forward. I am not a long hitter, below are my smart distances according to arccos.
F26FE4BB-E10D-4540-ACC9-3793849913DA.png
5EBDFAA9-79B7-478B-9C45-83B621157F7A.png

Enjoyed your journey, as I'm in the same boat as your were before the Morgan Cup, with an interest in OL, but never having taken the leap. If in ever afforded the opportunity, I would love to give OL a go. The fact I dont have much time to work on my swing would work well with the one swing for all the iron concept.

Also, would love to hear any OL insights Jose or Yagley speak to during you time with them!

Best of luck with these at the MC!

That is awesome and I know you will kill it at the Morgan Cup. You will destroy someone in Singles and can't wait to follow along.

It may sound silly to some, but when my wife asked what I was thankful for last week, Cobra Golf and the Morgan Cup came up. It wasn't #1 on the list, but it was high up there after peace on earth, health of family, job security, etc. This is the first year that I have not had golf equipment on my Christmas list in a number of years and I really had a fun year playing golf, so how could I not be thankful to Cobra and the opportunity provided?! I can't wait for 2021 and some of the things that Cobra is doing.

I have seen a few people mention their interest in one length irons and wanted to bring this thread back up in case it helps. It isn't the easiest to get fit for when you look at the beginning of the thread but I was probably making it harder than it needed to be. I always share with anyone that asks me about one length to look at the tips Jose Miraflor gave me before they make a decision. https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...s-from-jose-miraflor-with-cobra-golf.8915305/

The equipment that I received in March 2020 is some of the best I have ever played. The irons are everything I hoped that they would be: forgiving and rewarding. If you are making a Christmas list and considering irons, you should really look at one length Cobra offerings. Even if you don't go one length, look at the forged tec irons: I am not sure there are many sets that get such good reviews from such a wide range of player abilities.

Last edited:
It may sound silly to some, but when my wife asked what I was thankful for last week, Cobra Golf and the Morgan Cup came up. It wasn't #1 on the list, but it was high up there after peace on earth, health of family, job security, etc. This is the first year that I have not had golf equipment on my Christmas list in a number of years and I really had a fun year playing golf, so how could I not be thankful to Cobra and the opportunity provided?! I can't wait for 2021 and some of the things that Cobra is doing.

I have seen a few people mention their interest in one length irons and wanted to bring this thread back up in case it helps. It isn't the easiest to get fit for when you look at the beginning of the thread but I was probably making it harder than it needed to be. I always share with anyone that asks me about one length to look at the tips Jose Miraflor gave me before they make a decision. https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...s-from-jose-miraflor-with-cobra-golf.8915305/

The equipment that I received in March 2020 is some of the best I have ever played. The irons are everything I hoped that they would be: forgiving and rewarding. If you are making a Christmas list and considering irons, you should really look at one length Cobra offerings. Even if you don't go one length, look at the forged tec irons: I am not sure there are many sets that get such good reviews from such a wide range of player abilities.
Thanks for continuing to update us on your OL journey. I'd love to try OL one day, and your thread here is a big reason why.

So this was my thread from 2020. I have played variable length one year and had some success but am back with Cobra one length for 2023.

One thing that Jose Miraflor mentioned is that their one length customers are some of their most happy and long term customers. I haven’t ever hit irons better than I have this year since switching back to one length with a little more forgiveness than I had with my 2020 set.

this is my approach since switching back and I am comparing to my goal of a 9 hcp
BABF7D04-D0B4-4329-9599-3A38406C0FEB.png

I always thought OL could be interesting in a half set. Like 4i-8i. The 9 and wedges I would prefer to have shorter, but struggle with contact on the 4-6i. Shorter long irons clubs might help with that.

I always thought OL could be interesting in a half set. Like 4i-8i. The 9 and wedges I would prefer to have shorter, but struggle with contact on the 4-6i. Shorter long irons clubs might help with that.
3 years into this experiment, I have found my sweet spot. I am playing 5i-GW one length and have 3 variable length wedges at the bottom and D/3W/hybrid at the top. I rarely use a one length iron on anything less than a full swing, so the irons cover any yardage from 100-200.

One of my close friends who is a much better player than I am has a set that lines up with your thoughts and he loves them. He got fitted last fall into a set of Ping irons (I don't remember the model but they look great) and within a few rounds he was already gravitating back to his one length irons at the 4-8. He's now thinking about trying to sell the Pings and go with a new set of the Aerojet OL 4-7 or 8 with the rest being variable.

I've been using OL for 5 years, and just this last winter ordered a variable LTDX PW and GW to go with my LTDX OL set. So far it's been awesome and the ability to customize the set to make yourself comfortable may help people decide to try OL.

Back