Looking at starting to do my own work. Need advice.

rrpruett

Reaction score
Handicap
OK im thinking about taking the plunge into club building and doing some of my own work. I have 4 boys that all play golf and we are always paying to get work done like regripping, shaft replacements etc.

I have watched some of the videos on a couple of websites and checked out some tools at Golfsmith and Golfworks. I am a fairly handy and have build lots of stuff, So I can’t imagine its that difficult, but like everything im sure there is lots to learn.

My questions is, I seen some starter kits online with tools to get started. Im looking for some opinions /advice on if you think its worth it to get a starter kit or just pick up tools as I go. Here is a kits that I have looked at http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW1206_A_cn_E_47vV .
I want to start out with doing some regrips on all our clubs and putting in some spinner shafts in my wedges. I would also like to be able to check out all my boys lofts and lies to see if they are correct for them.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

PS: if anyone has any used equipment that they are looking to sell let me know.

I can't help you in the least on how to build a golf club. Sounds rewarding and fun. I am fairly handy with anything wood related and I have found over the years it is usually best to "buy as you go" for woodworking. If making golf clubs is anything like woodworking most tools only save time. Very few things can't be handled by hand tools. I would guess quality vises, clamps, measuring devices, air compressor, and controllable heat sources would be a great start to a golf club making shop. Like a table saw in woodworking, I am guessing a Mitchell device would be a required investment.

If i were you i would get as you go. Like you i build and work on my own clubs as well as friends. The Vise kit from GW http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_UCMVK

This is a great setup for regriping and reshafting. Most of the hand tools can be bought from other sources such as HD or Harbor frieght for alot less.

If i were you i would get as you go. Like you i build and work on my own clubs as well as friends. The Vise kit from GW http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_UCMVK

This is a great setup for regriping and reshafting. Most of the hand tools can be bought from other sources such as HD or Harbor frieght for alot less.

quoted for the truth....

Keep googling online for stuff...I found a way to build my own shaft extractor for about $20...way better than $100+

There have been some good threads here about club making. Might try to see what a search turns up. Good thread recently on building a shaft puller.

I've been building or working on my own clubs for many years and I still don't have much in the way of any specialized tools.

As for getting started, the one thing I'd suggest as an absolute "must have" is a sturdy vise mounted on an equally sturdy workbench. That vise is the nerve-center of any club building operation and without it, I can't see how anyone could do much in the way of serious work.

As far as the rest of the tools go, there are many ways to either adapt existing tools or to purchase inexpensive tools for club building. For instance, if you already own a chop saw, there's no need to go out and buy a "Golf Shaft Cutoff Saw" when all you really need is an abrasive disc that fits your chop saw. I myself have a small abrasive disc attached to one of the grinding wheels on my bench grinder and I use it as a shaft trimmer. It has a larger diameter than the grinding wheel and I rest the shaft on the tool rest that comes with the grinder and I just roll the shaft against the disc and it makes a nice neat cut. The added bonus is that if the cut is a little messy, I can use the other grinding wheel to smooth it out.

I do my own lofts and lies (something I added only in the last few years) and I bought an inexpensive "Loft and Lie" machine which is basically just a glorified clamp. It's not an all-in-one type of thing and I have to check my clubs on a separate gauge, but it works for me and it didn't cost hundreds of dollars like the "pro" all-in-one machines do.

For me it's been pretty much "get as you go" (or "Macgyver" as you go) as others have suggested and that's really the best way to go. That way, you can get into doing some stuff and find out if you'd really enjoy doing it before investing what can be a lot of money into getting "set up" with all kinds of gear only to find out later that you're really not as into it as you thought you were. If you DO get into it, there's always time to go out and buy whatever you think you'd need.

I think club building is a lot of fun and there's a definite level of satisfaction and self-reliance in doing things yourself, not to mention the fact that adjustments and "customizing" is only as far away as your own garage and the labor is free! :clap:

Thanks for all the advice. I do own a cut off saw and I have a vice and a bench mounted grinder. It looks like I just need to pick up some job specific tools and get started. I had two spinner shafts come in yesterday. Ill give it a go with replacing them into my LW and GW.

Thanks

Back