Looking for backyard golf mat recommendation for golf pract

TameStranger

Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a golf mat to practice with in the backyard without breaking the bank. Fiberbuilt Flight Deck Golf Mat looks decent for the price. Has Anyone tried it, or would you recommend a different mat?

I’d be looking at getting the Mat alone if I end up going with the Fiberbuilt, not the practice station.

Fiberbuilt Practice Station

PGA Merchandise Show

(Used my golf practice net for the first time last night and am destroying my lawn haha I’m new to golf)

Attachments

• 73F90059-EC5F-4E6B-B6B2-3B7DF0B2A143.jpeg
    73F90059-EC5F-4E6B-B6B2-3B7DF0B2A143.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 5EA27384-D6B2-4F44-A0B7-1E6AE355C1AB.jpeg
    5EA27384-D6B2-4F44-A0B7-1E6AE355C1AB.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 7F9AA6EE-0972-4390-A901-46DB8CF48F3C.jpeg
    7F9AA6EE-0972-4390-A901-46DB8CF48F3C.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 5
  • E0546506-F064-41A2-84A6-0EB58F0F4B2B.jpeg
    E0546506-F064-41A2-84A6-0EB58F0F4B2B.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 580B2766-633D-4217-B01C-CC750046B7BD.jpeg
    580B2766-633D-4217-B01C-CC750046B7BD.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 5
I have never tried the outdoor model, but use a Fiberbuilt full size mat in the THP Tech Studio and like it quite a bit.

Seems like I might really have to cough up the dough to find something decent. This sport isn’t easy on a new golfers wallet haha
- courses are closed due to Covid where I live so I’m trying to get practice in the meantime at home

I have 2 mats. One, I bought from Dick’s (3’x5’) last summer for $150 that was beginning to wear out after only a few months use. It was too thin and I had to add a foam mat underneath. I was trying to save money on that which was a mistake. The second is a Country Club Elite mat ($300) that is light years better. Good, thick padding, a heavy duty texture that as of now hasn’t left residue on my clubs. there is enough give so that if you hit one fat or would have taken a big divot on real grass, you don’t feel like your wrist is going to break. I’m more of a “sweeper” so I like hitting off mats. Costco sells this one $50 cheaper. I wish I’d bought this one first. I know it’s going to last a long time.

I went the very cheap route only because I don't use a mat that much. Maybe less than 10 times a year.....if that.

I purchased a few 12" x 18" (?) hitting mats on clearance. They are normally $20 at Walmart. $40 something at Golf Galaxy. Same mat.

They come with two hitting surfaces, that simulate fairway, and first cut rough. Also two rubber tees.

I use two of them when practicing. One to stand on, and one to hit off of. Keeps everything more even that way. They tend to last me 1-2 years.

Most of my use is during "mats only" days at the local range. Their mats are the larger, firmer, smooth surface types sitting on concrete. I hit off my own. Others seeing me doing this have copied me.

Just another option.

I went the very cheap route only because I don't use a mat that much. Maybe less than 10 times a year.....if that.

I purchased a few 12" x 18" (?) hitting mats on clearance. They are normally $20 at Walmart. $40 something at Golf Galaxy. Same mat.

They come with two hitting surfaces, that simulate fairway, and first cut rough. Also two rubber tees.

I use two of them when practicing. One to stand on, and one to hit off of. Keeps everything more even that way. They tend to last me 1-2 years.

Most of my use is during "mats only" days at the local range. Their mats are the larger, firmer, smooth surface types sitting on concrete. I hit off my own. Others seeing me doing this have copied me.

Just another option.

Thank you for the recommendation!
I’m having a hard time deciding which route to take with this. Seems like I may be using mats frequently during Covid. Courses are closed in my area and after using my golf net for the first time last night in the backyard it is apparent that i will likely no longer have grass within a couple weeks haha

Thank you for the recommendation!
I’m having a hard time deciding which route to take with this. Seems like I may be using mats frequently during Covid. Courses are closed in my area and after using my golf net for the first time last night in the backyard it is apparent that i will likely no longer have grass within a couple weeks haha
Where do you live that courses are still closed?

I have a fiber built and it works very nicely. They go on sale now and then and I got mine for a good price when that happened at Costco.

Courses are closed in my area and after using my golf net for the first time last night in the backyard it is apparent that i will likely no longer have grass within a couple weeks haha
I feel your pain! We are under lockdown too so I've created a makeshift practice area. Like you, I was ripping up the grass pretty good so I needed something basic. I laughed when I read @WLG1952 say he went the cheap route and bought a mat... His route sounds high end compared to my home made setup.

I scavenged some short pile carpet
and fixed it to a piece of semi-flexible pegboard. I cut a hole and inserted a rubber tee for driver work.
Screenshot_20210424-130222_Gallery.jpg

Back