Looking to Upgrade Irons (Burner 2.0s)

Fisher_88

Reaction score
Handicap
15ish
Hey yall, new to the forum, but have been lurking in the shadows lately reading up. I get to play 3-4 times a month, I normally shoot low to mid 80s (have played my local courses alot in my past). I played golf in high school but took off for a good amount of years. I am getting back into it and have learned to enjoy the game now and not get pissed/blowup.

I currently am playing Burner 2.0s w/ KBS shafts and they have oversized Winns. I am looking to upgrade irons soon and get away from the oversized grips that I now hate, but can't find much comps close to my irons because of the age. I can't afford to be fitted at the moment due to my situation and not having much time to play for it to make sense. Does anybody have any recs that would be kinda close to my old Burner 2.0s?

I know I should get fitted, it is just an option right now so don't bash me to hard! Thanks for letting me join the forum and look forward to hearing everyone's opinions.

Hey yall, new to the forum, but have been lurking in the shadows lately reading up. I get to play 3-4 times a month, I normally shoot low to mid 80s (have played my local courses alot in my past). I played golf in high school but took off for a good amount of years. I am getting back into it and have learned to enjoy the game now and not get pissed/blowup.

I currently am playing Burner 2.0s w/ KBS shafts and they have oversized Winns. I am looking to upgrade irons soon and get away from the oversized grips that I now hate, but can't find much comps close to my irons because of the age. I can't afford to be fitted at the moment due to my situation and not having much time to play for it to make sense. Does anybody have any recs that would be kinda close to my old Burner 2.0s?

I know I should get fitted, it is just an option right now so don't bash me to hard! Thanks for letting me join the forum and look forward to hearing everyone's opinions.
Welcome to the forum. I won't be of much help but I'll be watching this thread as I have a friend that is looking to upgrade from the same irons and he also wants something similar.

Have you considered just changing the grips, for now, and see if you rekindle the romance with the 2.0s?

I have considered re gripping, but I’m leaning towards new irons. I recently upgraded to the Sim Max Driver from my old Ping G30 and have been getting off the tee much better.

The newer TM m4 irons, appear to be much like the old burners. The Sim Max’s look too chunky for me. I’m not good enough for blades but I don’t like the huge chunky irons either.

I have considered re gripping, but I’m leaning towards new irons. I recently upgraded to the Sim Max Driver from my old Ping G30 and have been getting off the tee much better.

The newer TM m4 irons, appear to be much like the old burners. The Sim Max’s look too chunky for me. I’m not good enough for blades but I don’t like the huge chunky irons either.
Srixon irons might be up your alley. Callaway Apex are fantastic irons, too. I play CF19s in the Callaway Apex and absolutely love them. I love them enough that I'm not even interested in the 21 version (which is alien, for me).

Good luck with your search.

I played those same clubs for several years until 2019. I got fitted and was put into the Callaway Apex CF19's with the Project C Catalyst shafts. I really like them.
I'm not sure how the Apex 21's compare to the Burner 2.0's but I'm sure someone here can weigh in on that.
As far as the grips go, I have been using the Golf Pride MCC + Midsize for a few years now and still really like them as well.

My advice is pretty boring: try as many clubs as you can before you buy, and you will be both surprised and disappointed vs your preconceived ideas. If you're looking for feel and forgiveness, there are a lot of options out there and it ultimately comes down to which fits your game and preferences best.

Someone mentioned the TaylorMade M4 irons. I was a long-term tester for THP and I can tell you they provide a lot of feedback on mishits while providing high levels of forgiveness ("That shot looked a lot better than it felt.")

Last edited:
Back