LTDx driver spin and shaft pondering

Inioch

Morgan Cup 2024 participant! #HackersNation
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was testing shafts and loft settings on my LTDx 10.5 driver and I have a hard time trusting the numbers. My plan was to see how my available shafts perform and later test the Tensei white against this data. But can these numbers be correct?

Equipment used: Trackman 4 indoors, Titleist Pro V1 RCT balls.

Shaft + loftClub speed (Mph)Ball Speed (Mph)Smash FactorSpin Rate (RPM)Carry (m)Total (m)Side Total (m)Attack AngleLaunch AngleLand Angle
iM10 9.5D (AVG)91.7134.91.472081189.6220.60.8 L4.713.429.5
Consistency0.92.50.043236.14.77.41.4
iM10 10.5 (AVG)92.3136.41.481839194.2226.88.6 L3.013.629.0
Cons.3.45.00.0241512.39.510.90.92.14.5
iM10 12.0 (AVG)90.6132.91.471974191.1220.711.6 L3.615.231.6
Cons.2.53.60.053559.210.011.60.92.46.0
Matrix 65M4 Black Tie 10.591.5134.91.471887185.4219.95.9 L3.812.827.0
Cons.2.04.20.042457.54.58.61.43.97.8

I was slower than I can remember, but especially the spin rates have me wondering. The previous testing (10.5 setting) I did in the same location had me measuring around 102 swing speed, 154 ball speed, 237m carry, 2350 RPM. That was with TP5's.

This makes me wonder if the data is correct. Or is it just the slower swing, different ball and my sucky swing on the day. My normal gamer is Chrome Soft TT, but wanted to do this testing with the RCT's for data accuracy. Obviously consistency is not my strong suite and the data I included is handpicked to remove the atrocious ones. The spin number seems awfully low on all lofts and the change is neglible to my eye in the data even when jacking up the loft.

Any thoughts? Which setting would you use?

We all have heard Trackman indoor data is just math based calculations. 10mph swing speed is a significant drop though and the ball isn't going to affect your swing speed. Numbers look fairly consistent across the board. Based on those numbers you definitely need more spin or higher launch.

highest spin was the 9.5 D setting, any reason you didn't try the D setting in the higher lofts?

highest spin was the 9.5 D setting, any reason you didn't try the D setting in the higher lofts?
With the lower loft It was likely because of hitting low on the face not because of the D setting on the hosel.

I was in the 1600-2000 spin rate when I did my fitting. I was using the ProV1 and normally use the ProV1x so that helped my spin some. I also lifted mine up a degree to help with launch as I hit it pretty low. I’ve been happy with this set up.

With the lower loft It was likely because of hitting low on the face not because of the D setting on the hosel.
fair, but what if being more upright changed the swing?

fair, but what if being more upright changed the swing?
He hit more up on the ball by 1.7* on the 9* setting vs the 10.5*, smash factor was lower and still had more spin. That tells me (no expert) it was not a center strike other wise the other settings where his AOA was lower there would be more spin.

I was already left enough that I didn't feel like I needed the D. That's the setting it was on from my last rounds. My miss has traditionally been a straight push to right, which I wasn't really seeing even without the D-setting on higher lofts.

He hit more up on the ball by 1.7* on the 9* setting vs the 10.5*, smash factor was lower and still had more spin. That tells me (no expert) it was not a center strike other wise the other settings where his AOA was lower there would be more spin.

The spins were not really that much higher even on the hits with smash at 1.50. That's what throws me. That even on good shots, positive AOA and higher lofts, the spin was just not higher.

The spins were not really that much higher even on the hits with smash at 1.50. That's what throws me. That even on good shots, positive AOA and higher lofts, the spin was just not higher.
LTDx is not a high spinning head. Maybe its just not a good fit 🤷‍♂️

Here's the background data.
Screenshot_20221129-184637.jpgScreenshot_20221129-184657.jpg

LTDx is not a high spinning head. Maybe its just not a good fit 🤷‍♂️
That's what I was starting to think about too. But this low on non-LS? Wow, didn't think so low. But likely getting my SS up again would help too.

I played the F6+ previously and was carrying about the same distances. But I don't have the budget for a new one now, so need start giving serious thought on balls to use.

That's what I was starting to think about too. I played the F6+ previously and was carrying about the same distances. But I don't have the budget for a new one now, so need start giving serious thought on balls to use.
If you are not looking to change I'd definitely loft up. Maybe consider a different shaft and a ball that will give you some spin as well.

If you are not looking to change I'd definitely loft up. Maybe consider a different shaft and a ball that will give you some spin as well.
Shaftwise I'm interested in trying the Tensei white that I have lined up to get during the winter. Balls are easy to test and I'm not hung up on CS.

Probably will go back to the 10.5 setting for now.

The purpose of this thread was also to learn more about why the data is as it is. I'm a data nerd in many aspects and this I'm really just starting to understand something about the physics behind the data.

So thank you all for helping in this quest 👊

Shaftwise I'm interested in trying the Tensei white that I have lined up to get during the winter. Balls are easy to test and I'm not hung up on CS.

Probably will go back to the 10.5 setting for now.

The purpose of this thread was also to learn more about why the data is as it is. I'm a data nerd in many aspects and this I'm really just starting to understand something about the physics behind the data.

So thank you all for helping in this quest 👊
Tensei White is a low spin shaft so that likely won't help. You could try the Tensei Blue in that line of shafts though.

Tensei White is a low spin shaft so that likely won't help. You could try the Tensei Blue in that line of shafts though.
Will have to look what's available at reasonable costs. LTDx was sold here with the Whites and that's why they are avilable second hand too, but I get your point.

Getting aftermarket shafts up here is stupidly expensive

Will have to look what's available at reasonable costs. LTDx was sold here with the Whites and that's why they are avilable second hand too, but I get your point.

Getting aftermarket shafts up here is stupidly expensive
Maybe you can find a deal here... just a thought

Back