Maltby club discussion

Can anyone comment on the Maltby KE4 Tour TC Hybrids? I have seen very limited pictures of them and can't tell how they look. I do not like offset and a "closed" appearance, but can't tell the profile of these.

Can anyone comment on the Maltby KE4 Tour TC Hybrids? I have seen very limited pictures of them and can't tell how they look. I do not like offset and a "closed" appearance, but can't tell the profile of these.

I have a 17*, purchased as a Pak with the Kuro Kage Black. It sets up a bit closed, but not drastically. (It looks perfectly square on the Golfworks website.) My most common miss is left, so I was concerned I was going to have a problem. It has not been an issue on the range -- subtle draws are the norm. Distance and trajectory are what I was looking for. I'm a different sort of hacker on the course than I am on the range, so time will tell.

attachment.php

I have this in a 3 hybrid, but I haven't really hit it enough to have much of a feel for it.

I have a 17*, purchased as a Pak with the Kuro Kage Black. It sets up a bit closed, but not drastically. (It looks perfectly square on the Golfworks website.) My most common miss is left, so I was concerned I was going to have a problem. It has not been an issue on the range -- subtle draws are the norm. Distance and trajectory are what I was looking for. I'm a different sort of hacker on the course than I am on the range, so time will tell.

attachment.php

Any way you could set that down and take a picture of it like you were addressing it? Is the overall footprint of the club pretty small?

Any way you could set that down and take a picture of it like you were addressing it? Is the overall footprint of the club pretty small?

I'd consider it on the slightly compact side. Here it is alone, then side-by-side with a 4DX IronWood and conventional 3W. (Sorry, attempts to re-orient the attachments correctly have failed. I guess you'll need to save and rotate to get the proper perspective.)

Attachments

• Maltby 2H_1.jpg
    Maltby 2H_1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Maltby 2H_2.jpg
    Maltby 2H_2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Maltby 2H_3.jpg
    Maltby 2H_3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 9
I certainly don’t “need” any new clubs right now, but those have me curious. I’ll be interested to hear your impression of them.

I'm disappointed to report I was given bad information ... GolfWorks cannot bend to adjust loft or lie angle on the FDI series. I really need 20* to maintain proper gapping, so I ended up canceling my order. I guess the 4DX's spot in my bag is safe for now ...

I am sure I saw it here a while back, but how do you like the wedges? I am back in experiment mode and their forged wedges are priced right

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm disappointed to report I was given bad information ... GolfWorks cannot bend to adjust loft or lie angle on the FDI series. I really need 20* to maintain proper gapping, so I ended up canceling my order. I guess the 4DX's spot in my bag is safe for now ...
Who told you the new FDI cannot be bent??? One of the reasons they went away from the DBM finish is so that the club can be bent. I know that on the Golfworks Forum Britt talked about why they went with the new materials and in the description on the web site it clearly states they are adjustable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

^I was notified by email.

Thank you for your recent order. Unfortunately one of the items in your TOUR FDI HYBRID is on backorder and due back into stock in approximately the second week of May. We would like the opportunity to find a suitable substitution for this item so that the order can be processed in a timely manner.

Also be aware, we are unable to bend this hybrid. Please contact us at the customer service number below so that we may assist you.

Thank you,

GolfWorks Customer Service

I called and it was confirmed by phone. They will not bend the FDI either for loft or lie angle, which contradicts a previous email which clearly said they could either the 19* or the 21* could be bent to 20*. I'm disappointed, but it is what it is.

I get the impression they initially thought it could be bent. There's plenty of evidence to indicate that's the case. I won't pretend to know what changed.

It works out anyway. If they can’t give me a flat lie angle I won’t be tempted to order one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried the Ufw fairway woods. They look pretty good. How deep is the face compared to a ping g fairway?

@Popeye do you have any experience with the current model KE4 Tour+? I'm looking for comparisons between them and the PTM, besides being cast vs. forged.

@Popeye do you have any experience with the current model KE4 Tour+? I'm looking for comparisons between them and the PTM, besides being cast vs. forged.
Yes,, a whole lot. The KE4 Tour + has more of a players profile yet still has a thicker topline. Its unique ability to be able to change the weight in the head can allow you to really dial in swingweight and feel. It had a higher COG and has a more penetrating flight. Feel wise it's good as far as a cast club goes, I always liked how they felt but it's not quite a forged head feel.
The PTM has a much larger overall size and the latest V type sole. Its lower COG gets the ball up quicker. Being a forged club it has a softer feel to it. The PTM is also easier to adjust if need be.
Personally my eye liked the KE4 better and I had played them for a good season or so plus I had done extensive shaft testing with the KE4 heads.
If you are purely shopping on a budget the KE4 would do very well for you and they matched up great with the Score LT shaft.
If I had to game either one right now I would lean to the KE4, just purely on how I like an iron to look and fly.

Well I finished my Tourney at Pinehurst and had an experience of a life time. It's a truly world class venue and its grandeur is something that just needs to be taken in, in person.
We had a three day tourney with a practice round starting on #1, then played #6, 4 and 2.
I brought a mixed bag of TS-2S and TS-1s. The conditions were still pre season so most of the grass was still dormant and to say there were tight lies,,, everywhere,,, is an understatement. The grass was completely matted down and below was a sandy wet turf. IF,, you didnt find the fairway you wound up in a waste area that had sand that was super fine and also these foot high tufts of grass and random pine straw.
From the fairway I was able to do very well with the TS-2 irons which were 5,6 and a Gw. I struggled with the smaller sole TS-1s and even though the soles are not all that much smaller it makes a big difference in truly difficult conditions. So in a nut shell I brought the wrong clubs. I should have had an all TS-2 bag.
The added forgiveness and wider sole allowed me to hit some awesome 5 and 6 irons which you have to do a whole hell of a lot to minuscule greens that slope off in every direction.
With the TS-1s I just struggled to get the heads cleanly through the turf giving me contact and directional issues.
And playing out of the waste areas,,, is something that is wildly frustrating. The sand is so fine it nearly stops the club mid swing. Again I did great with the 5 and 6 and even the GW a few times. Here I struggled with the TS-1s.
If the fairways were grown in I may have faired much better with the TS-1s. So I'm headed back to the all TS-2 Bag

Yes,, a whole lot. The KE4 Tour + has more of a players profile yet still has a thicker topline. Its unique ability to be able to change the weight in the head can allow you to really dial in swingweight and feel. It had a higher COG and has a more penetrating flight. Feel wise it's good as far as a cast club goes, I always liked how they felt but it's not quite a forged head feel.
The PTM has a much larger overall size and the latest V type sole. Its lower COG gets the ball up quicker. Being a forged club it has a softer feel to it. The PTM is also easier to adjust if need be.
Personally my eye liked the KE4 better and I had played them for a good season or so plus I had done extensive shaft testing with the KE4 heads.
If you are purely shopping on a budget the KE4 would do very well for you and they matched up great with the Score LT shaft.
If I had to game either one right now I would lean to the KE4, just purely on how I like an iron to look and fly.

Thanks that helps. I'm mainly asking for my friend who doesn't know about equipment. He is a high handicap that doesn't play much but wants to start. He likes a slightly bigger profile, wants distance and forgiveness, a higher straight flight with no need to work the ball, probably doesn't care about that softer forged feel, but also wants something that he can play for a long time.

He upped his budget to 500 for a set of irons. I'm leaning toward Maltby because I can get him the shaft he needs and a set of new heads for that price. His best fit on shafts was DG 120 X100 and I can't find any suitable OEM clubs on the used market with similar shafts. They are all smaller players clubs. Though he has the speed for those, they wouldn't benefit his game. That's why I'm leaning toward PTM. TS-2 would be perfect but over his budget.

Thanks that helps. I'm mainly asking for my friend who doesn't know about equipment. He is a high handicap that doesn't play much but wants to start. He likes a slightly bigger profile, wants distance and forgiveness, a higher straight flight with no need to work the ball, probably doesn't care about that softer forged feel, but also wants something that he can play for a long time.

He upped his budget to 500 for a set of irons. I'm leaning toward Maltby because I can get him the shaft he needs and a set of new heads for that price. His best fit on shafts was DG 120 X100 and I can't find any suitable OEM clubs on the used market with similar shafts. They are all smaller players clubs. Though he has the speed for those, they wouldn't benefit his game. That's why I'm leaning toward PTM. TS-2 would be perfect but over his budget.
He sounds perfect for the PTM.

Well I finished my Tourney at Pinehurst and had an experience of a life time. It's a truly world class venue and its grandeur is something that just needs to be taken in, in person.
We had a three day tourney with a practice round starting on #1, then played #6, 4 and 2.
I brought a mixed bag of TS-2S and TS-1s. The conditions were still pre season so most of the grass was still dormant and to say there were tight lies,,, everywhere,,, is an understatement. The grass was completely matted down and below was a sandy wet turf. IF,, you didnt find the fairway you wound up in a waste area that had sand that was super fine and also these foot high tufts of grass and random pine straw.
From the fairway I was able to do very well with the TS-2 irons which were 5,6 and a Gw. I struggled with the smaller sole TS-1s and even though the soles are not all that much smaller it makes a big difference in truly difficult conditions. So in a nut shell I brought the wrong clubs. I should have had an all TS-2 bag.
The added forgiveness and wider sole allowed me to hit some awesome 5 and 6 irons which you have to do a whole hell of a lot to minuscule greens that slope off in every direction.
With the TS-1s I just struggled to get the heads cleanly through the turf giving me contact and directional issues.
And playing out of the waste areas,,, is something that is wildly frustrating. The sand is so fine it nearly stops the club mid swing. Again I did great with the 5 and 6 and even the GW a few times. Here I struggled with the TS-1s.
If the fairways were grown in I may have faired much better with the TS-1s. So I'm headed back to the all TS-2 Bag

I'd love the opportunity to play there. Very cool experience. That's good feedback on both irons. I got my first round in with my TS2 4i and understand what you mean. It's just so easy to hit, and even mishits go straight.

The Xcaliber website is back up and operational.

@Popeye I tested clubs with my friend again and showed him my TS2 iron. He is willing to pony up the extra money for a full set of them over the PTM. Is there anything about the PTM that would make it a better choice or is the TS2 just in a different class top to bottom?

@Popeye I tested clubs with my friend again and showed him my TS2 iron. He is willing to pony up the extra money for a full set of them over the PTM. Is there anything about the PTM that would make it a better choice or is the TS2 just in a different class top to bottom?
The TS-2 is just a different animal. Its cutting edge for an iron build on every level. I hit a ton of irons over the winter and I couldnt find something that I felt had an advantage. Sure some were excellent. PXG, P790, i500 and more but none had anything that stood out as better and all cost nearly 3x more. It's an easy chouce.. go TS-2.

The TS-2 is just a different animal. Its cutting edge for an iron build on every level. I hit a ton of irons over the winter and I couldnt find something that I felt had an advantage. Sure some were excellent. PXG, P790, i500 and more but none had anything that stood out as better and all cost nearly 3x more. It's an easy chouce.. go TS-2.

Thanks! Not having both in hand and not having tried PTM, it's hard trying to guide someone else. I appreciate your help.

Summary: First, a HUGE thanks again to TheLetterSee for a great fitting. Swing changes still in flux, but starting to gel. My guess is I will need to get the lies flattened to tone down the draw. Overall, I'm very impressed with this club, and I think it represents a great value for the performance it delivers!

Update: Swing changes are ingrained. Stock PW carry is 135; stock 7-iron 165. Swing speed has increased 5 mph, with typical 6-iron in mid-80s.

Problem: I'm fading the 4-5 irons and hooking PW/GW. These are the Kuro Kage S-flex that come in the Maltby TS-2 pak.

Is this a shaft issue? Descending weight effect from parallel tip shafts? I do have some AMT S300s I could pull from a backup set. Or, am I better off just getting a whole new set, two months after I bought the current set? LOL. It's a sickness, but a good problem to have, I guess...

Back