Maltby PTM Black Forged Iron

TRA024

Reaction score
Handicap
No experinence with them but do like the looks of the black finish.

They do look pretty good. Never hit a Maltby.

No Maltby experience here either but am equally curious about them and have been for 3 or 4 years.

These paired with some KBS black finish shafts would look pretty sweet. Let's see if they do a Club Pak deal on these I might pull the trigger.

I've had my DBM's for a few seasons and they're the most forgiving players iron I've tried. These new PTM look great!

This release from Maltby has been in the works for a solid year and was told feedback has been very positive. Actually quoted as the best feedback if an iron,, ever. Initial testing has them longer than the DBM due to loft increase, but very similar flight. This should be an increadible iron. I ordered a few in the Pearl Chrome for testing. Says they are in stock, possibly have data next week.
9de9d2cded5d0182992cae996ad0c0f5.jpg
cd9dc17a882c68b4eaacc62d9c0a575b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Couple of friends have played Maltby irons over the years. One still has them in and out of his bag. He can afford to play anything he wants but as he says, he'll play whatever works.

I only had a Maltby putter years ago, a longneck blade, tei3 type. It was very nice.

If I ever happened to hit them and they worked best for me, I'd play Maltby irons. Played KZG, Penick and Golfsmith in the past, why not?

As to the questions about how maltby irons play? If you were given a blind iron testing situation where you had no idea of what brand they were you might be surprised about your choices. Now,, with the price of OEM irons being North of 1k and many irons in the 1500 range,,, you can build a top of the line forging with a high end shaft for around 400 to your exact specs. You can go with their True temper score shafts and build that same set for a little more than 300.

If you have never tried any of their irons pick up a catalog, learn how to put irons together and go have a blast. You will never regret it.

As to the questions about how maltby irons play? If you were given a blind iron testing situation where you had no idea of what brand they were you might be surprised about your choices. Now,, with the price of OEM irons being North of 1k and many irons in the 1500 range,,, you can build a top of the line forging with a high end shaft for around 400 to your exact specs. You can go with their True temper score shafts and build that same set for a little more than 300.

If you have never tried any of their irons pick up a catalog, learn how to put irons together and go have a blast. You will never regret it.

Looking forward to your feedback when you get the irons, the pearl looks awesome too. Have started getting in to club build / repair lately so would definitely be building these myself. Yeah OEM have a pretty significant marketing overhead that needs to be paid for...

what is the tech story? why is the feedback so good? genuinely curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty extensive write up at the linked site. Yes it’s marketing copy but it’s fairly descriptive also.

I used to game the KE4 irons, a cavity back forged head. Had a set built with cheap uniflex shafts, and I loved them. I got to tinkering and ended up cutting down the shafts and then moved on to something else, but I’ve always thought about having them reshafted and using them again. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, probably better quality than many OEMs out there.

Maltby has been building forged heads for a long time. The current MMB-17 and the DBM have been tweaked every few years for at least ten years and might be closer to 15.

They measure and analyze every club head that has been and is being built and publish the results. They apply their principles to every head they make. They make the COG in the middle of every head they make and it's not by accident.

Britt says the new, non cavity back coming out mid summer has him more excited to play that iron than any iron in years. He said he will have to build two sets, the PTM and the new non cavity,, he might have to give up his beloved DBM irons.

Spend some time with a Maltby forged head and a properly fit shaft and you might tinker with an OEM iron but you will never buy one retail again.

As the OEMs seem to have no end to the price tags they are throwing on clubs, I like the sound of perfectly fit forged irons for $400. And that's with fancy price tag shafts.

I've built a few sets of Maltby for friends and myself. Mostly the DMB forged. Weights, lofts, and lies are all pretty good. It's a quality iron with nice even sized hossle walls (meaning it's drilled in the center) and bore depths were pretty consistent. The diamonized black metal wears pretty slowly too. Eventually looks more gray where you hit it, nothing like the black wedges from other companies that just look raw after a while.

If second hand irons weren't so cheap and easy to rebuild I would probably be gaming Maltby or Wishon irons. I get a good discount with being a club builder.

I will have a Pearl Chrome 6 iron for testing Thursday. I will put it against my 6 iron MMB-17. I will have a Nippon 950GHs shaft in both. Should be interesting, I have some TE heads but I don't think I have a 6. I'll post up some data. Should have Flight scope and Skytrack numbers. Can't wait.

Maltby has been building forged heads for a long time.

Do they actually build? Or is it design and built off shore? I know the Maltby utility head in my bag was built off shore, just wondering if they do something different with the iron heads.

Do they actually build? Or is it design and built off shore? I know the Maltby utility head in my bag was built off shore, just wondering if they do something different with the iron heads.
No one actually uses foundaries in the states that I know of.. they are all made in China these days. Maltby does all of their own design work and have in the past done quite a few OEM designs under contract.

I will have a Pearl Chrome 6 iron for testing Thursday. I will put it against my 6 iron MMB-17. I will have a Nippon 950GHs shaft in both. Should be interesting, I have some TE heads but I don't think I have a 6. I'll post up some data. Should have Flight scope and Skytrack numbers. Can't wait.

Have you had a chance to put the new iron together?

I have one of the cast sets. They are a solid budget club, no real bells and whistles. I think I built my irons for under $25 a club when combined with FST 125's and superstroke grips on a huge sail. The wedges are good as well. I game then and going to get them again when they get worn out. The big downside is the black coating makes them very hard and brittle(not actually in danger of breaking) which makes them not able to be bent more than 1 degree. Nice part is you can just buy a single head and see if you like it.

Just realized they are brand new model. Will have to try one out.

Does anyone who is even slightly reasonably priced? Even lots of high end clubs use foundries over seas and finish them in the States.

Have you had a chance to put the new iron together?
Yes i did. The PTM is a very solid iron. It has a great soft feel and it is quite long. It has the added loft but flys like a 6 iron and has good spin.

I have some data from a MMB 6 i with Nippon 950 gh.
A PTM 6 i with the same shaft
A PTM 6 i with an Xcaliber prototype shaft.

First one is the MMB, PTM with steel, PTM with graphite.

I have spend more time with the PTM with the Xcaliber and it flies high comes down steep and spins as it should.

Over all I really like the PTM. Very forgiving and easy to hit. I have yet to hit it off if turf but really look forward to it.
0778cdb7ffac3b66efd7794d3e99abfd.jpg
ac5b5f8d446abcd105a52c5d39e72218.jpg
4a4485b3d2a7221f7993946046ca95b4.jpg
8d27f3036431e182cb9bc880530da015.jpg
8212b7aa83cf0067a7b37f9622985424.jpg
3add0dab3651c8ac9f33332a3e33a66b.jpg

Yes i did. The PTM is a very solid iron. It has a great soft feel and it is quite long. It has the added loft but flys like a 6 iron and has good spin.

I have some data from a MMB 6 i with Nippon 950 gh.
A PTM 6 i with the same shaft
A PTM 6 i with an Xcaliber prototype shaft.

First one is the MMB, PTM with steel, PTM with graphite.

I have spend more time with the PTM with the Xcaliber and it flies high comes down steep and spins as it should.

Over all I really like the PTM. Very forgiving and easy to hit. I have yet to hit it off if turf but really look forward to it.

Thank you for the update, very interesting.

I've been using Maltby stuff for 20 years. Excepting a Cleveland driver; every club I carry is a Maltby product. They are not just good for the money...they are good clubs period.

Back