Popeye

Reaction score
Handicap
I have spent about a week testing the Maltby TS2 and in all honesty if this was stamped with any OEM label it would be iron of the year.
On its first outing I put it directly against the TM 790. The TS2 had the TT Score Lt shaft which in raw length is a 115g shaft the 790 has a Dynamic Gold 105. In the Simulator they were virtually identical but the TS2 actually spun more. First pic is the TM 790.
Feel wise it wasnt very close. The TS2 had a very soft yet solid feel. It gave me a feeling of staying on the face for a long time.
On course I actually saw the TS2 getting a little more distance but that may have been strictly because I found them to very consistent. The TS2 on course got through the turf very well. It has a very subtle sort of V sole. It's not overly wide in the heel. Yet the top line is healthy. I'm used to playing a blade style MMB and at first it looks big. How it plays let's you forget that quickly.
On day two of testing I put them head to head with the PTM and the MMB all in 6 iron heads. I dropped three balls on 7 holes from 190- 205. All the MMB shots just reached the green but all were on. The PTM didnt fair as well and just sort of seemed to be out classed. The TS2 found the middle of the green on almost every shot. I hit one way out on the toe and figured it was toast. Right on the green. Even badly thinned one, same result. This club very quickly felt as if I have played it for quite a while.
Day three I had it in a round as my 6 iron. Anytime I called on the club it not only performed,, it did it with ease and style.
I blocked a drive right on a par 5 and was blocked out by a giant oak tree. 185 out to an elevated green about 40' high. I said what the hell and hoisted the TS2 right up and over to pin high. It also stuck a par 3, 210 yards to a tiny green and wound up 3' fwd of its ball mark. This is not just a distance iron,, but it's highly accurate and it spins just as it should.
I'm building a full set and will load up some of my gamer shafts KBS Tour 105. But I see no reason why I couldnt put the Score shafts directly into play. Cheap shaft but flat out works.
I do have to say that this looks way way better in hand then they do in catalog.
I pesonnaly was looking forward to the blade version TS1 but damn these are good.

Last two pictures are of the tree hole and then the long par three. This has proven to be very versatile. Can't wait to get the whole set in play.

Like I said, with an OEM badge it would be a wild hit.
88a21924daa0d7043e608973ccfe2a46.jpg
fd4dda52b4a09129ab19080fedbd89b6.jpg
475bfede922d94af49f79e6a7ed5b702.jpg
e554a12e9ede009c9eec84848e6269dc.jpg
61bf016d398ef9c18fc1db1ed99b81c3.jpg
1226831ffb24a90f7d1b565337f3821f.jpg
e76e979f4ca345615564e3f04215bbd5.jpg
1c054ed537753092b2d610ef6ff200a7.jpg
bc266eeecbffd01a224de7ab0e948225.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

How would you say this is different compared to the PTM? Been eying these and by the way you're describing them would be a serious contender to kick-out the PTM for the spare set.

How would you say this is different compared to the PTM? Been eying these and by the way you're describing them would be a serious contender to kick-out the PTM for the spare set.
Dont get me wrong the PTM are a great set and its money well spent. But the TS2 is just a far better club head. Feel, forgiveness, sound,, it's just better all around. The TS2 was a step up and hit it kind of club. Just felt right at home with it. The PTM has its weight kind of low. It feels completely different. It's a club I would have to get comfortable with. The TS2 into my bag as just a 6 iron was seemless.

I have yet to miss a green with the TS2 in play.

Nice looking iron.

This kind of makes me want to replace my DBM's...

This kind of makes me want to replace my DBM's...
Its definitely worth it to buy a head and tinker. Just be ready to buy a whole set.

So missed my first green. 205 yards, was dead pin high just off the green. What has impressed me most is the ease at which I am swinging this club. I'm not trying to do anything special. The rest of the set is on the way. Hipefully I can have them in play Friday.

I've read a lot of great things about Maltby and dived right in the deep end ordering a set of the TE's 4-GW with the Score shaft. I'm really excited that they are supposed to be here Friday.

I expect they'll be over my head a bit at first (18 cap), but I anticipate as time goes on I will get good with them. I'm tired of huge club heads and fairly numb feel. Give me soft metal, great feel on decent strikes, and low CG to help with launch. I have an Mizuno MP52 6 iron and have been hitting it ok.

The TS2's sound awesome. The pricing on the Maltby forged irons is fantastic when ordered in a pak.

Dave

Well you just described the TEs perfectly.
I've read a lot of great things about Maltby and dived right in the deep end ordering a set of the TE's 4-GW with the Score shaft. I'm really excited that they are supposed to be here Friday.

I expect they'll be over my head a bit at first (18 cap), but I anticipate as time goes on I will get good with them. I'm tired of huge club heads and fairly numb feel. Give me soft metal, great feel on decent strikes, and low CG to help with launch. I have an Mizuno MP52 6 iron and have been hitting it ok.

The TS2's sound awesome. The pricing on the Maltby forged irons is fantastic when ordered in a pak.

Dave

Until joining THP forum, I had never heard of Maltby products. I’ve seen several members rave about their Maltby irons so I decided to do some research myself. I am very intrigued with their wedge offerings and am seriously considering replacing my current wedges with Maltbys when I have a little extra cash saved up. Thanks for the informative write-up Popeye.

Until joining THP forum, I had never heard of Maltby products. I’ve seen several members rave about their Maltby irons so I decided to do some research myself. I am very intrigued with their wedge offerings and am seriously considering replacing my current wedges with Maltbys when I have a little extra cash saved up. Thanks for the informative write-up Popeye.

People seem to really like them and they're such good deals. The black finish is supposed to wear fantastically, but they have very limited bend options.

Dave

I have a 56 and a 60 Tour Grind wedges that I never got along with and went back to my M series. Maltby makes fantastic clubs...

So missed my first green. 205 yards, was dead pin high just off the green. What has impressed me most is the ease at which I am swinging this club. I'm not trying to do anything special. The rest of the set is on the way. Hipefully I can have them in play Friday.

You have me in serious ponder on these. The PTMs I just assembled are supposed to go to my oldest son. Although I did enjoy playing them and am planning on gaming them Saturday. I would like to get your feedback on the low end of the set 8 - PW when you have the whole set. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You have me in serious ponder on these. The PTMs I just assembled are supposed to go to my oldest son. Although I did enjoy playing them and am planning on gaming them Saturday. I would like to get your feedback on the low end of the set 8 - PW when you have the whole set. Thanks in advance.

They should get here Friday. I will try to work them out Saturday and see how they do with the KBS. The KBS is a little more aggressive and suit my swing a little better.

How would these compare to the TE/DBM? Hotter and less or more forgiving?

I would say these are definitely more forgiving and would be longer given the increased loft. I have a TE 7 iron that I will probably throw together when the rest of the set shows up. Then I can do a direct comparison.
How would these compare to the TE/DBM? Hotter and less or more forgiving?

Blade version has been posted online but wont be available till Sept. These are the ones I have been waiting for.
c3d5b2ee1cf1c70edebb8aa6b19a7001.jpg

Omg the ts1 in a black finish would be a dream come true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Popeye I know you've compared these numbers-wise to the p790 - I don't know a lot about the Maltby stuff other than it's well regarded and considered game improvement with player-type qualities. Is the p790 the best comp for this in the ts-2? I found I didn't spin the p790 enough with the irons, but I love the idea of getting the game improvement qualities in a player look.

Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Blade version has been posted online but wont be available till Sept. These are the ones I have been waiting for.
c3d5b2ee1cf1c70edebb8aa6b19a7001.jpg

I saw those on line yesterday, very attractive. Nothing on the specs but got to thinking, split set, ts2 4 -6 and TS1 7-PW. Could be tasty.

Popeye I know you've compared these numbers-wise to the p790 - I don't know a lot about the Maltby stuff other than it's well regarded and considered game improvement with player-type qualities. Is the p790 the best comp for this in the ts-2? I found I didn't spin the p790 enough with the irons, but I love the idea of getting the game improvement qualities in a player look.

Any thoughts on this appreciated.
As for what's available right now for forged / urethane construction,, yes. The TS1 will be very close when its available. I too found the 790 to not spin enough for me. I should have a whole set of TS2s for testing Saturday am. I am very interested to see how the higher lofted iron do.
The level of forgiveness with the TS2 6 iron I have found is fantastic yet I am able to put the ball just where I want and it stops. I have also not seen any crazy fliers or out of the ordinary distances with the 6 iron. Distance has been very consistent. I usually play. A blade style and the TS1 really suits my eye. I could definitely see a mixed set in the near future.

I saw those on line yesterday, very attractive. Nothing on the specs but got to thinking, split set, ts2 4 -6 and TS1 7-PW. Could be tasty.

You could even expand that set some more with working in a few MMB-17,, G and PW. Should be easy to bend those to fit loft gaps.

love my PTM in the DBM finish. i would need these in black to make the switch, i think.

And now I wonder if I just wait for the TS1 to come out - do their blades really play like Super Game Improvement clubs from a forgiveness standpoint? Almost too good to be true.

I played a full round with entire set of TS2 irons. I kind of feel dirty because it was like I was cheating on my MMBs. Like taking out the hotter younger sister and she is better than your girlfriend.

I found myself swinging much easier. A more relaxed swing. Knowing I had a bit of extra club on each distance. The accuracy really stood out. Feel was spot on and the way they spun for me was just right. Always just forward of the pitch mark but never more than 4'.

I fell in love with the PW and was using it all over the place. It was so easy to take some distance off,, or step it up and hit a slight draw.

As for working the ball they are not near as workable as the MMB. It's more of a hint of a draw or a slight fade. But it was very easy to dial up the required shape at will.

Turf friendly really comes to mind. Sort of like the Srixon 545/745 line. The rocker sole has a lot of tech going on and divots were very minor.

I know the TS1 is a lot sexier looking but these are an extremely good iron. I shot a -2 today and it was the most boring -2 I have ever shot. I'm looking forward to the TS1 but I can't imagine playing any better with them.

Back