Slammin'SAM

Never a flatbelly
Reaction score
Handicap
Rare play
For those that have been to the Augusta National for a Masters practice or tournament round, I would love to have you share your stories of cool or interesting things you saw or that happened there. I am sure I have been to at least 50 practice or tournament rounds (lived here since 1977), so I will start this up.

In 1983, Seve blitzed the front nine and took a nice lead, but Tom Watson was trying to chase him down. I was following Tom, and at #10 I was down the left side when he teed off (not sure patrons can go there now). His drive rattled in the pines above my head, and fell down to rest maybe 2 feet from the massive trunk, dead blocked to the green. I moved to get a good position to watch what he did, when a 'patron' who was walking toward the tee passed the pine and saw the ball - he stopped and was reaching down to pick it up when a gallery guard rushed up and said tersely, "Get away from that ball!" After a moment Watson arrived, shook his head looking at his lie/position, grabbed a wedge out of his bag, and stepped up and pitched it maybe 80 yards on up the fairway. It couldn't have been 20 seconds from the time he arrived at his ball until he was walking away after the shot.

In the sudden death playoff between Nick Faldo and Raymond Floyd, they both teed off #11, but as they began to leave the tee, Floyd turned left and went to a players bathroom that is (was, at least) in the trees left of that tee. Faldo walked briskly on, and even tho Floyd made a quick potty trip, when he came out Faldo was at his ball atop the hill. Floyd hustled up the fairway, but he looked rushed, and his hurried approach of course was dunked in the pond left.

The first time John Daly came to Augusta after his PGA win, a friend called me with Friday tix. I really wanted to see Daly crush it, and to hear the impact sound of his huge drives. We got really close at the #5 tee as they waited for Curtis Strange and John Cook to hit their approaches. They finally hit, and Daly stepped up and ripped, flying it probably 30 yards past Strange walking up the left side (but nowhere near Strange). I had mixed feelings - the drive was crushed and awesome to watch, but the sound was a dull thud off that Kevlar driver he used then. Fast forward to #13, and we are at the corner - Cook and Strange wait for the green to clear, then approach. As they walk off Daly pounds another, this time maybe 50 yards past Cook as he walked - Cook never looked back. Cook and Strange get to the green and start putting, and Daly is waiting. Cook putts out and Strange misses his eagle,
but from back at the corner it appears he left a tough birdie try, because he studied it from all angles, plumb-bobbing, circling. Finally he got over it, stood over it forever, and then putted - DINK - must have been no more than 6 inches. Man, it was funny - Daly must have thought so, too, cause he applauded. He didn't hit into them the rest of the day.

It's a practice round, probably a Tuesday, at #2. Fuzzy Zoeller had laid up short and well right, and his ball was behind a lot of gallery. The gallery guard belatedly started clearing the shot path, but Fuzzy just waved him off, and stepped up and pitched it right over the heads of the patrons like they weren't there. From there I eased over to #7 green, where Jeff Sluman is in a front bunker practicing the pitch. After about a half-dozen tries, all pretty close to the pin, Jeff holes one. Someone in the gallery hollers, "shooda saved that one for the tournament". Jeff stops and looks and replies, "plenty more where that came from!"

I'd love to read more stories....

The one that stands out to me the most was at a practice round where Gary Player was playing with Danny Lee who was the reigning US Am champ. They were on the tee box of #7 for this one.

Player steps up and hits his shot and it's a heck of a drive, esp for a guy his age. Then Danny Lee says to him "Very nice Mr. Player." Then proceeds to fly his ball about 25 yards longer than Players ended at. So Gary breaks down in to a big story about how he played Augusta with Elvis Presley and how the king didn't exactly know how to play golf. Says he watched him take some swings and then walked up to him and offered some help. Player said to him, Elvis this is a difficult game and if there something I can tell you that will help you out it's this(now he starts wiggling his hips back and forth) "As long as you have a good tempo and can control your hips, this game will be easier." Elvis looked at him and says, "all in the hips? You sure are talking to the right man!" At the end of the story he is still swinging his hips back and forth and yells, now let's see if this works THWACK! He blasts a ball that ends up about 5 yards from Danny Lee's and says, "There you go young fella, the old man still has it!"

I'd love to read more stories....

Didn't you end up on the tee with Palmer and Nicklaus one year? Seems like there was video or pics someplace?

I went once. 1989. I was a 17 year old high school senior and golfer. It was everything it was supposed to be and more.
I got to meet Arnold briefly after a practice round. Had a great bit of banter with Gary Player during a practice round as well.
Was at the tee box for the ceremonial shots Thursday morning, Sarazen in Plus Fours. Then walked down to Amen Corner to see it in the early morning quiet.
Sat beneath the tee on 6 Friday morning for about a dozen groups...that's an interesting perspective to watch the shots come in over you.
Jack almost hit us on his approach to 15 on Saturday. The first thing he asked was if everyone was OK. It seems they let the galleries much closer to the greens back then.
Seeing all the big names in the game back then, close up, was very cool.
Everything was a perfect then as it looks now on TV. I remember it like it was yesterday. I try for the ticket lottery every year. I've told my son if he ever gets a chance to go, you drop whatever you're doing and go, as it may be a once in a lifetime chance.
It was everything it was supposed to be and more.

SMALLVILLE - Didn't you end up on the tee with Palmer and Nicklaus one year? Seems like there was video or pics someplace?

My friend that volunteers there did - here's the video - par 3 contest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHFEC-R5Pc&feature=share

Nothing quite like video proof of the Big 3 signing for you all at once!

That's crazy! So awesome you actually have the footage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back