Matte golf balls vs non matte

PapaJohick

#ShortKnockerBombs
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
stumbled upon this guys instagram recently and while nothing earth shattering, some fun and good information. Not super scientific or technical I guess but gives a good visual of scenarios being asked. This one was about matte golf balls on the greens

I've used matte golf balls. They're fine.

MaxFli used to release their tour ball in a matte white. I really liked those.

This would be a great 5th grade science fair project.

I'm going to need to see more data than that. :D

haha for sure. I’m not so sure that matte golf balls travel less than regular but some of his other videos are pretty good.

I saw a video where they tested matte vs regular and matte actually spins less on full shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was pondering this question yesterday.
I play both the Divides and the Yellow Q Star Tours and was thinking the Shiny Yellow balls don't seem to pick up as much dirt as the matter Divides.

JMHO

During the club champion titleist ball experience last year, the matte cover topic came up. Although the reps said it was more a question for engineering, the ball is slightly less aerodynamic then glossy cover balls.

It won't make a difference to my game though haha.

Obviously I don't remember all the details, but I can imagine why.

Cool stuff though.

I always found matte balls picked up more dirt and grime. Even green grass marks. I played Vice Pro Softs for about 2 years when Vice first came out. They got so dirty!

After falling in love with the reactiv tech by Bridgestone, will never go back to matte.

Will not use matte balls.

I do feel that they roll different, but it only takes a round or two to adjust to them. Maxfli Softfli is my ball.

Fun to watch.

Still looks like internet science to me. ymmv.

My many years of cricket , shining ( glossy smoother ) a new leather ball on one side of the seam and leaving the other side to scuff up ( matte finish ) the ball turns / deviates in the air , as air flow is disrupted making matte side slower.

So that lead me to think there maybe marginal loss in distance due to air flow over the finish of the whole ball …

yes I’ve used matte balls , but don’t have apparatus to
Measure distance that minute

I know some of the LPGA players have used matte balls, and Bubba used them for a while, but do you know of any tour players currently using matte balls? I think those that experimented with them all went back to a noon-matte ball.

Back