azfarrier

Average Hack
Reaction score
Handicap
So if you could only play one round of golf while on vacation in Maui which course would it be and why?

Kapalua or Kaanapali Wailea in Kihei

Kapalua Plantation was a great experience, because it's a PGA Tour stop, but if I had to only pick one it would be The Challenge at Manele. You take a ferry from Maui over to Lanai and you can play both the Challenge and Experience for around $300 (including the ferry fee). http://golfonlanai.com/

I would want to play the Plantation course just b/c of the ToC event there. I'm sure there are better courses, but if only playing one, that'd be my choice. But I was a good boy, on our honeymoon I never even mentioned golfing while we were there. :(

Kapalua Plantation was both the most expensive course I have played and one of the most fun. At least when I went (granted, this was 9 years ago), there were twilight rates available at about half off the normal rate, and as long as you got in one of the first of those times you would get through 18 before dark.

I'm sure this is true on other Maui courses, but the views off the mountain side are awesome while you are playing, and as others have said, there is something extra special to me about playing a PGA Tour course that you can watch on TV each year and "relive" your round at the same time.

I played on a couple of courses in Wailea and they were really nice. Not Kapalua Plantation but really nice. Check out the Hawaii Golf Card:

http://www.hawaiigolfdeals.com/ghc.html

There is deals through the card on all of the islands and I believe Kapalua is one of them. If you are on Oahu and can play, I recommend Royal Kunia. The course overlooks Pearl Harbor. Very good golf course and bring your camera.

Maui Golf

Maui Golf

The Plantation is a great course in terms of views and some pretty cool holes. Its really hard though, with insane wind and lots of blind tee and second shots. I remember I birdied the first hole with a chip-in, and it went downhill from there.

The Bay course at Kapalua was fun but not as scenic and more ordinary than the Plantation. Its windy too. There was a par 3 around 200 yards, directly into the wind. I hit a solid driver and just made it onto the green.

I had more fun at Makena. Its a more 'normal' course, but still has some ocean holes and views and is more fair in my opinion.

-Byra

My boss just got back from Maui he played 3 times on the plantation course and loved it

My boss just got back from Maui he played 3 times on the plantation course and loved it

See now this I don't get unless you go regularly and have played all the courses already. If I'm in Maui and can afford 3 rounds, I'm playing 3 different courses if at all possible. If I can go anywhere new and play multiple rounds, I'd want to play different courses. For me it's the same thing with travelling in general; I've been to NYC and Maui (pretty much my only 2 vacations not road tripping, though a pretty decent 2 lol), but if planning another trip I'd like to try somewhere new just to have a different experience.

Waialea Emerald was pretty good when I played there over 10 years ago. Great views and conditions. Its a resort type course utilizing the natural beauty of the landscape.

Waialea Emerald was pretty good when I played there over 10 years ago. Great views and conditions. Its a resort type course utilizing the natural beauty of the landscape.

I have played Wailea Emerald the last 3 times I was in Maui. The course is gorgeous and the views are amazing. Next time I am in Maui I will be playing the Plantation Course.

Kapalua Plantation was a great experience, because it's a PGA Tour stop, but if I had to only pick one it would be The Challenge at Manele. You take a ferry from Maui over to Lanai and you can play both the Challenge and Experience for around $300 (including the ferry fee). http://golfonlanai.com/
I did not play there, but I went snorkeling around the island of Lanai and it looked beautiful looking at the course. There is one hole that are way up on top of some cliffs that looked awesome. Next time there I am going to play there.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I ended up being able to play two rounds so I played both the Plantation and the Bay course at Kapalua. Both beautiful courses in their own way. Really struggled with the greens though. I had one eight foot, downhill, with the grain putt. Knowing it would want to take off I barely tapped it. Barely missed and watched the ball continue to increase in speed and not only run all the way across the green but then roll 30 yards down the hill. If I'd hit that same putt on most of the courses I play at home I don't think the ball would have gone more than a foot. Definately worth the experience to play the two courses though and hope to go back and try again sometime.

Just got back from staying at Kapalua. Played plantation in what felt like a hurricane. Was definitely an experience! Thankfully had played it before so didn't form opinions base on that. Never been so wet though! Also played the Bay Course. Personally I prefer bay because of the water but that's just me. Had nothing too do with me hitting my best drive ever(325 with a 3 wood) I swear!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I ended up being able to play two rounds so I played both the Plantation and the Bay course at Kapalua. Both beautiful courses in their own way. Really struggled with the greens though. I had one eight foot, downhill, with the grain putt. Knowing it would want to take off I barely tapped it. Barely missed and watched the ball continue to increase in speed and not only run all the way across the green but then roll 30 yards down the hill. If I'd hit that same putt on most of the courses I play at home I don't think the ball would have gone more than a foot. Definately worth the experience to play the two courses though and hope to go back and try again sometime.

Honestly felt the greens were a real downer to the rounds overall. Judging speed and break was nigh on impossible.

Back