Maybe a dumb question?

Slammin'SAM

Never a flatbelly
Reaction score
Handicap
Rare play
This may seem like an obvious answer question, but I really don't know that answer.

When a manufacturer sells iron sets available in both steel and graphite shafts, do they use identical clubheads, or are the heads weighted differently for each shaft material?

This may seem like an obvious answer question, but I really don't know that answer.

When a manufacturer sells iron sets available in both steel and graphite shafts, do they use identical clubheads, or are the heads weighted differently for each shaft material?

generally the clubheads stay the same

Almost all of the time, they are the same. Some companies also use the same heads for men's and women's but painted differently. A lot of the time though the women's head will be lighter than the men's of the same club.

I am still gaming Callaway Pro Series X18 irons with the Rifle 6.0 steel shaft. While they are in the neighborhood of 13-14 years old (bought them new ordered to specs from Callaway), they are in excellent condition, as in the last 7 years I have played maybe 40 rounds total. But, I have aged from 59 to going on 66 in that time, and my swing speed is down enough that my distance loss in the irons is about 1.5 clubs thru the bag. This year there is a good chance I will either get new irons or more likely reshaft these, going to a Rifle 5.0 steel or a similar graphite. I'm old school enough that I am happy with the dispersion I get with steel, and wonder if a very few extra yards with graphite is worth possible dispersion widening. I was always one to hit lower, driving trajectory iron shots, but age has those maybe too low. Would I get more elevation with graphite?

Absolutely no reason you can't get great dispersion from graphite shafts. Graphite is better on joints and you can get shafts that are geared towards lower/mid/higher flight.

If saving money is one of the reasons you're thinking of reshafting with graphite. I would guess it's going to cost more to reshaft than picking up a used set with graphite from a few years ago. I would think that would be the the best way to regain some of the distance lost. You get new tech along with graphite.

Saving money is a big part of the equation, because I don't play 300 rounds a year any more, or even 60 or so like I did in my 50's. I played 8 times last year, and I don't see myself getting out a lot more in the next few years (I still work full time but at a lot less pay than I had thru my 50's). At 65 I still play the regular men's tees, and my scores this year ranged from a low of 74 to a worst of 83 - 5 rounds in the 70's. It would be nice to get more height on my irons and regain a few yards, but I doubt the gain would be more than a half club. Because I use 2 degrees flat lie, it is tough to find used sets to fit, but I guess not impossible - I need to start watching Callaway Pre-owned again.

I am still gaming Callaway Pro Series X18 irons with the Rifle 6.0 steel shaft. While they are in the neighborhood of 13-14 years old (bought them new ordered to specs from Callaway), they are in excellent condition, as in the last 7 years I have played maybe 40 rounds total. But, I have aged from 59 to going on 66 in that time, and my swing speed is down enough that my distance loss in the irons is about 1.5 clubs thru the bag. This year there is a good chance I will either get new irons or more likely reshaft these, going to a Rifle 5.0 steel or a similar graphite. I'm old school enough that I am happy with the dispersion I get with steel, and wonder if a very few extra yards with graphite is worth possible dispersion widening. I was always one to hit lower, driving trajectory iron shots, but age has those maybe too low. Would I get more elevation with graphite?

In my experience with graphite, which is very recent, dispersion has actually been better for me.

I would say the majority are the same clubhead. If you look at iron specs for a lot of OEMs, they will list a swingweight for steel and for graphite. The graphite SW is normally 1 - 2 points lower.

Although the X18 Pros were a great club the technology in todays clubs far exceed that of the X18 era. IMO upgrading to a newer set with graphite shafts is a win win situation. You no doubt would see a higher ball flight and a much better dispersion throughout the set.

Being Old School myself, I was amazed at the difference in distance, dispersion and the overall playability of graphite shafted irons. I'm 73 and still maintain a single digit h'cp. The only regret I have is not switching earlier in my golfing career.

Back