Minimalist Set Up Question

Full-time minimalist player here -- D, 3h, 5, 7, 9, 48°, 58°, P is my standard kit.

That is a nice setup! For me less clubs means less chance to make a good score, to a degree so to me your set would also fit a mid handicapper like me or close to it.

I play a half set from time to time and usually go with 3 wood, 4 hybrid, 6 iron, 8 iron, PW, 54° wedge and putter.

This is the set I am talking about! I really think I could play this exact combination! If I went to 8 clubs like Tommy56 does, I would add either a driver or GW since my PW is only 45 degrees!

That is a nice setup! For me less clubs means less chance to make a good score, to a degree so to me your set would also fit a mid handicapper like me or close to it.

This is the set I am talking about! I really think I could play this exact combination! If I went to 8 clubs like Tommy56 does, I would add either a driver or GW since my PW is only 45 degrees!

Don't under-estimate the ability to still score well with a minimalist setup. I've continued to drop my handicap (currently 4.1), and playing the best golf of my life. It frees up your thought process considerably and you become intimately familiar with each club in your bag.

Don't under-estimate the ability to still score well with a minimalist setup. I've continued to drop my handicap (currently 4.1), and playing the best golf of my life. It frees up your thought process considerably and you become intimately familiar with each club in your bag.

I don't think I am underestimating the ability to score well, just my ability! :) I will say that I have played the partial set but that was many moons ago and there wasn't much scoring difference! I am tying to think of the lofts of the irons not the numbers on them and the yardages I can get from them but I am sure I could play with 8 clubs vs 13.

I don't think I am underestimating the ability to score well, just my ability! :) I will say that I have played the partial set but that was many moons ago and there wasn't much scoring difference! I am tying to think of the lofts of the irons not the numbers on them and the yardages I can get from them but I am sure I could play with 8 clubs vs 13.

The major benefit to having half a bag of clubs is that the player naturally learns to swing with good effective tempo and rhythm.

If your length is strong, I would go 3w, 4h, 6, 8, PW, 54°, and putter. 7 clubs and your gapping should be consistent

If your length is strong, I would go 3w, 4h, 6, 8, PW, 54°, and putter. 7 clubs and your gapping should be consistent

I am not strong off tee distance wise but usually in the fairways! I would guess my 3wd would be around the 200 mark. That said I think I could play this setup and only run into a few holes if that during a round that may be tougher but still should be able do fairly decent I think! I really am thinking about this alot and just trying to think of the right club setup cause I get wrapped up in lofts vs my rough yardages when compiling the set.

So with my current set of clubs if I put together this setup it would like 15 deg (3wd), 21 deg (4H), 28 deg (6 iron), 36 deg (8 iron), 45 deg (PW) and 54 deg (SW) plus putter! Too much loft gap??

I am not strong off tee distance wise but usually in the fairways! I would guess my 3wd would be around the 200 mark. That said I think I could play this setup and only run into a few holes if that during a round that may be tougher but still should be able do fairly decent I think! I really am thinking about this alot and just trying to think of the right club setup cause I get wrapped up in lofts vs my rough yardages when compiling the set.

So with my current set of clubs if I put together this setup it would like 15 deg (3wd), 21 deg (4H), 28 deg (6 iron), 36 deg (8 iron), 45 deg (PW) and 54 deg (SW) plus putter! Too much loft gap??
Setup looks good

A bit late to the party, but here goes ...

My "full" set is 7 clubs – D, 19*H, 5i, 7i, PW, 54*, Pu.

Personally, I don't really regard it as a minimalist game until I'm down to 4 clubs or fewer. Usually 19*Hy, 8i, 54*, Pu these days.

I'm not a big hitter at the best of times, but I don't find my score suffers terribly with the lack of a driver.

In any case, as someone else pointed out upthread, the trick with a minimal game is to cover many uses with each club. So a club I can hit 180m to 190m off the tee AND hit confidently off the deck (my hybrid) is very useful.

That said, the course I usually play is quite short (average par 4 length is around 310m), with only two holes longer than 400m. So I'm usually hitting my 8i for the second shot in a 4 club game.

Of course, "proper" minimal is one club :) usually my 6i.

bm

Driver, 4h, 7i, 9i, SW and putter.

That's a perfect half a dozen, but I'd add a GW for 7.

For those 3 wood fans, a Driver is longer and more forgiving from the tee for most of us. I like alternate tee clubs, but a 3 wood is waste in a short bag.

I think the question that hasn't been asked here yet is what's yours choice for the Sunday bag itself??
Can't forget the bag! :ROFLMAO:

I think the question that hasn't been asked here yet is what's yours choice for the Sunday bag itself??
Can't forget the bag! :ROFLMAO:

Nice little leather pencil bag. What else?

bm

Attachments

• IMG_2659.jpg
    IMG_2659.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 8
Back