Mixing hybrids into your bag

What combination of hybrids and irons do you use?

• Total voters
You’re a better man than me if you can hit a 1h. That’s one club I just couldn’t tame. Granted I only tried one old one I picked up for $20.00 on CPO but I had visions of a 30ft high wind cutting dart that carried 260 and ran out another 50 on a dry FW. I spent a very frustrating 50 shots or so on a sim with maybe 2 looking like I envisioned.

I could hit the 2 ok of the same line but not well enough to justify it being in my bag, nor the expenditure for a better one.

That club just had me totally confounded.

The Mashie Plus #1 hybrid was 15.5* degrees. I used it like I would a 3-wood, meaning mostly off of par 4 tee boxes. I never had a Mashie Plus #2 (18*) but my guess is that it would have carried for me about the same yardage as the #1, but not roll out quite as far.
My 20.5* and 23* loft Mahie 3 and 4 I played off some long par 3 tee boxes, from some fairway bunkers, from lies within the rough, and mostly to lay up a par 5 second shot.
In high wind conditions none of the lofts in the Mashie hybrids were especially good for me, and I think that was mostly due to their light weight c.kua shaft.

Currently due to gapping (and not having fairway woods), I carry 4 hybrids... epic flash 3h, ping g410 17, 19, 22 degree. Then I start irons with. 6i.

I find I can get 210-220 yards with epic flash and that fits perfectly with the 195-210 ping 17 degree

The Mashie Plus #1 hybrid was 15.5* degrees. I used it like I would a 3-wood, meaning mostly off of par 4 tee boxes. I never had a Mashie Plus #2 (18*) but my guess is that it would have carried for me about the same yardage as the #1, but not roll out quite as far.
My 20.5* and 23* loft Mahie 3 and 4 I played off some long par 3 tee boxes, from some fairway bunkers, from lies within the rough, and mostly to lay up a par 5 second shot.
In high wind conditions none of the lofts in the Mashie hybrids were especially good for me, and I think that was mostly due to their light weight c.kua shaft.

Maybe I’ll have to break it back out and take it to the real range, I never tried it from a short tee mainly because that sim at the time didn’t have a short enough tee. just hit it from the mat. I found it much much less forgiving than my 3+ wood off the deck so I just kind of gave up on it.

I don’t hit my 3+ wood off the tee much it at all, as if driver isn’t appropriate I’d rather drop down to something that gives me a chance for success. Usually 4i or occasionally 4h if nothing else is working I can usually bunt that 200 yards pretty straight.

Maybe I’ll revisit the experiment, I’m not sure what I’m going to be working with spring of next year anyways so my equipment setup may change drastically as well.

I had visions of a 2i stinger when I got that club. Instead I found it the most difficult to hit club I’d ever attempted to hit. I generally like as low of a loft on everything possible so it wasn’t that. Maybe it was damaged in some way too, or tweaked well beyond normal specs? But I know for sure by about 50 swings it had humbled me and got relegated to the “bad club” set of bags. As far back into there as I could get it too.

I carry 3 hybrids currently, 3,4,5 and I’m thinking very hard about a 6h as well.

I have a 3 and a 4 Hybrid then the regular irons which come after that. Don't have the swing, speed or skill to use 3 or 4 irons at all. Using the G400 which is the first hybrids that I have liked the shape of and the sound. Overall happy with them and I am actually a skilled hybrid player it seems because they go left on me, which seems rare.

As a newer golfer still trying to fine tune the swing, I am going to get a few hybrids at the turn of the year. I do lose a little bit of distance but the confidence I get behind the ball makes them worth it. I'll probably get a 3h and 4h to replace my 3i and 4i. I've hit the Ping G410 and absolutely loved them! I will more than likely lead that way come Jan.

I currently have a grand total of zero hybrids in my bag. D, 3w, 5w, 3-pw, 58*, and putter

I currently have a grand total of zero hybrids in my bag. D, 3w, 5w, 3-pw, 58*, and putter

By my count (it’s early, might have counted wrong lol) that’s only 13 and seems like there would be gapping issues between PW and 58*. There would certainly be for me.

By my count (it’s early, might have counted wrong lol) that’s only 13 and seems like there would be gapping issues between PW and 58*. There would certainly be for me.

Yup!

Back in the day, PW used to be 48* or so of loft (not any more!) and SW was usually 56*. We learned how to play an array of shots either delofting or lofting the SW, to essentially cover the GW or LW range. Hooded or opening the face. We actually got quite skilled at it. I actually carried two 56* SW's with completely different soles. One for tight lies (custom ground down sole by Ernie Vadersen - Spalding Top Flite club designer days) and the other for sand/gnarly rough, much bigger sole and bounce.

I currently have a 4h (21*) and a 4 iron in the bag. The 4h fills the gap between my 4 iron and 5 wood.

I carry a 4 hybrid mainly for the versatility of the club. Prefer the 4 iron for full swing shots but very rarely have a need for it on the course I play.

13 HCP. I carry both a 3 and 4 hybrid. Just way more forgiving and versatile for me than long irons.

I think some of the single digit guys carry just one but they have the swing and skill to utilize the long iron properly.

I wouldn’t be shy in carrying at least 2-3 hybrids at this stage.

I'm a big hybrid fan. Helps my game a lot. I carry 4, 5 and 6 regularly and have a 3 and a 7 I can put in rotation if called for.

Sorry, that should have read 3-GW. My gap wedge is my 100 yard club. I hit my 58 a max distance of 85 yards. I'm very rarely in the 60-90 yard range. I'm either off to the side of the green and just a short chip or over 100 yards from the green. Club setup works for me.

I did however experiment last round and ditched the 5w and put a Cobra 1 length hybrid in the bag. I used it for 2 types of shots. First is when i was short sided to a pin just off the fringe. Grass too long to putt and too close (for me anyways) to attempt a short chip and (knowing my game) decelerating through the swing and making the ball hop 2 inches and not reach the green or skulling it all the way across. The 2nd instance when I was short of the green but in the fairway with a nice look at the pin. Instead of attempting a chip (too long too putt) I would take the 1 length hybrid and hit it like a chip and roll it up close to the pin. Due to the hybrid being 7 iron length it was easy to set up like a putt without having to hold down by the shaft like a regular hybrid would require. With more practice I think it could become a valuable addition to the bag!

Yup!

Back in the day, PW used to be 48* or so of loft (not any more!) and SW was usually 56*. We learned how to play an array of shots either delofting or lofting the SW, to essentially cover the GW or LW range. Hooded or opening the face. We actually got quite skilled at it. I actually carried two 56* SW's with completely different soles. One for tight lies (custom ground down sole by Ernie Vadersen - Spalding Top Flite club designer days) and the other for sand/gnarly rough, much bigger sole and bounce.

I played my best golf (20+ years ago my best ever had me at +2.2) with Driver, 3-SW (the sets SW), and a $40.00 WalMart putter. I then played many years with the same setup minus the SW because it met a watery demise. I learned to hit every wedge shot with the sets PW, and still golfed a lot better than I do now. Now I play a more traditional setup, Driver, 3w, 4h, 4-GW (same loft as my prior PW), 52*, 56*, and putter.

So if you can make it work, I ain’t judging:)

Being a senior, I have hybrids 3 to 7. My first iron is an 8.

As an older golfer, I love hybrids. I have 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 hybrids. The 7 alternates with a 7 iron, depending on the course I'm playing and on how I'm hitting the ball that day.

I chose zero hybrids. I'm currently going from 5wd to 4i, but that could change at the drop of a hat. While I'm hitting my Z585 4 iron (relatively) great, I still haven't built up the kind of confidence I need in it. Only time will tell, but if I find a deal on an Apex 2019 4h with a decent shaft in it, then I'd probably jump at it right now.

being a new golfer, I was told hybrids are a gift to me...I am not finding that to be the case. if there's a long way to the green, i'm still hitting a 5i (since I don't have anything longer at the moment)...every time I pull the hybrid (or 3W) out on the FW or rough, it never really goes well...the 3W and Hy are the 2 clubs that I strike well but never on target. irons are a bit better in my case...not much...but better :/

Hybrids are good out of say, the first cut and fairways, not out of deep rough. Out of deep rough you need an iron. 3W is a hard club to hit, but you need a FW lie for it. You need to practice hitting hybrids at the driving range off the mat or grass. Play hybrids like irons, not like your 3W.

I carry a 4 hybrid mainly for the versatility of the club. Prefer the 4 iron for full swing shots but very rarely have a need for it on the course I play.

That's my current thinking as well, so I recently bought a 22* hybrid. At my usual courses the only time I play my 4-iron is to position a par 5 second shot lay up ball, and for that I could use any number of clubs.

Back