MIZUNO Exsar™ IS4 Graphite shaft questions

rrpruett

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a set of JPX 800's with the MIZUNO Exsar IS4 Graphite (Regular) shafts in them. I have been looking at some different shaft options just to see if I can get my ball flight lower. I hit the ball really high and short. Example I hit my 6 Iron 135 to 140 yards. When I got fit for this club I they did not put me through the shaft optimizer, maybe because I told them I liked graphite.

My questions is, where in the food chain is the Exsar’s IS4 shaft? and would it be beneficial to check out something else that may be an upgrade to this shaft and get me a lower ball flight.

Has anyone had these shafts and made a change for the better?

Im a 10 handicap, 49 years old and do not hit the ball a long way. Driver average is 225-235.

I do not have a big problem with my irons now just looking at options. You know how Golfers are, always looking for a little advantage.

Did you opt for the graphite out of a personal preference? Or do you have a slow swing speed/health issues that graphite helps? I believed that the shaft optimizer could throw up graphite too, so I'd have thought they'd still put you through it.

I have a dislike of the Exsar shafts I've tried in woods, they just don't feel great for me, but I've never tried the iron versions.

Did you opt for the graphite out of a personal preference? Or do you have a slow swing speed/health issues that graphite helps? I believed that the shaft optimizer could throw up graphite too, so I'd have thought they'd still put you through it.

I have a dislike of the Exsar shafts I've tried in woods, they just don't feel great for me, but I've never tried the iron versions.

No health issues, my driver swing speed is about 95-98 or so. I did tell them I like to try graphite as I had never had a set of graphite but they did not do a optimizer test. Maybe ill go and get that done and see what it says.

No health issues, my driver swing speed is about 95-98 or so. I did tell them I like to try graphite as I had never had a set of graphite but they did not do a optimizer test. Maybe ill go and get that done and see what it says.

Sounds like you could easily try out a few more shafts. The shaft optimizer is definitely a good option here. At worst, you'll try a few shafts that you don't like, but have solid numbers to get some more recommendations on, as well as comparing them to your current shafts.

Well today I went and had my swing checked with the Mizuno swing Analyzer. It came up with a very different shaft then what im playing. That is very disappointing since I went and was fitted for these irons at a Roger Dunns. The person that fitted me did not do this as part of the fitting. he just look at my swing speed and said, your a regular flex.

using my readings today the shaft recommendation was as follows.

Graphite shaft Exsar Is2 tour spec stiff 103 grams
Steel: Dynamic Gold s300 soft Step 130 grams & Project X 5.0 115 Grams
Rifle: 5.0 Stiff

Im not sure the store I was at had the updated Mizuno software with the new shafts loaded because the Is2 is the old shaft.

my average numbers with a 6 iron were.
Swing speed: 78,
Tempo 5
Toe Down: 2
Kick angle: 8
Release Factor 3

The shaft I currently have in only weighs 65 grams has a torque is 3.5 flex is regular. Thats a big difference in weight.

woah, that is quite a difference. You're playing a shaft that is half the weight of the steel recommendation! Did you get to hit some with the recommended shafts?

Holy wow! That's a huge difference, hopefully the store will help you out on the reshaft if you go that route. I just can't understand why the guy wouldn't have taken 5 minutes and put you on the optimizer.

--
tapatalk

Im not sure either. At the time I did not know about the tool so I did not recommend it. I would now. The shop was out of town so I am now working with a local shop to see if I can hit some different shafts and check them out. Thats what I get for going out of town. The reason I did is because I had a gift card from Roger Dunns and we do not have one here in town. O well. Ill hit some different shafts here in town and see how that works out.

ive been thinking about starting to do some club work myself anyway so this may be an opportunity to start.

I am also looking at the Mizzy JPX 800's with either the Exsar or Project X 5.0 shafts.

Currently I game the Powerbilt Air Foil nitrogen charged irons with a 65g Fujikura regular graphite shaft.

My 6 iron is 145 - 155

The footprint is about the same as the JPX 800's

My driver swing speed is 87 - 90 mph

I just picked up a Callaway FT-iz with Project X 5.0 graphite shaft and simply love it. The trajectory is so straight.

So I want to know if I should hold out for the Project X 5.0 graphites or go with the Exsar?

Im not sure either. At the time I did not know about the tool so I did not recommend it. I would now. The shop was out of town so I am now working with a local shop to see if I can hit some different shafts and check them out. Thats what I get for going out of town. The reason I did is because I had a gift card from Roger Dunns and we do not have one here in town. O well. Ill hit some different shafts here in town and see how that works out.

ive been thinking about starting to do some club work myself anyway so this may be an opportunity to start.

RR
I would be interested in knowing what shaft you went with. Based on your swing speed the 103 g Stiff graphite would look too stiff unless you have a fast transition. My 6I ss is 83 and because of my mild transition being fitted with a regular Aerotech or SK Fiber.

FWIW - I'm a 3-4-5-6 on the Swing DNA and my 6i SS was 85mph - I was fitted for DG S300s.

Well today I went and had my swing checked with the Mizuno swing Analyzer. It came up with a very different shaft then what im playing. That is very disappointing since I went and was fitted for these irons at a Roger Dunns. The person that fitted me did not do this as part of the fitting. he just look at my swing speed and said, your a regular flex.

Graphite shaft Exsar Is2 tour spec stiff 103 grams

Im not sure the store I was at had the updated Mizuno software with the new shafts loaded because the Is2 is the old shaft.

my average numbers with a 6 iron were.
Swing speed: 78,
Tempo 5
Toe Down: 2
Kick angle: 8
Release Factor 3

The shaft I currently have in only weighs 65 grams has a torque is 3.5 flex is regular. Thats a big difference in weight.

Given those numbers the S300 soft stepped or the PX 5.0's would make sense. PX 5.0 graphite would be a good option if you want to stay that route. You could also do Program 95's in a firm flex as well.

SS is fine. You aren't putting a lot of load on the shaft with the toe down and kick angle. Tempo being average means you handle handle a variety of weight as long as it's not too light but nothing too butt stiff. 3 release means you're releasing early so you're going to want something with a softer tip to help the ball get up.

The PX makes the most sense to me in this regard. Your tempo is enough to load it and the tip of the 5.0 is soft enough to give you that extra bit of help.
You could go with the soft stepped DG' S300's and be fine but it wouldn't be my first choice. Soft stepping them will get them close to a 5.0 flex but the kick/toe angle might be iffy with them.

What you've got now isn't helping you. It's too light and too tip soft. Between them you're probably launching the ball both too high and I would bet that your standard miss is a hook.

I wound up pulling the graphite shafts and putting in KBS CTapers. Much better. I went with an R+. Much better ball flight I.e.lower and better accuracy.

I do have a fast transiition and a short backswing.

I would go with the Project X, I'm not a big fan of the Exsar.

I just got a set of Wishon irons with the lightweight steel shafts in stiff. Fits me perfect. Never hit a ball so straight in my life.

Maybe someone can answer a question that this brings up for me. The DG S300 is a stiff shaft, the Project X5.0 is a Regular flex (right?).
Does soft stepping really make that much difference to the shaft to take it from S to R? why not just go with an R instead?

Maybe someone can answer a question that this brings up for me. The DG S300 is a stiff shaft, the Project X5.0 is a Regular flex (right?).
Does soft stepping really make that much difference to the shaft to take it from S to R? why not just go with an R instead?

From everything I have seen from PX shafts there is no fool proof way to give them a R S X flex description. They seem to be a murky step up or down from the R S X designations depending on how you look at things. I've done multiple fittings with PX shafts, 5.5 in driver and 5.0 in irons is what works for me. Lots of vague descriptions but the consensus always seems to say that PX shafts play a little stouter if you consider 5.0 a regular shaft (5.5 stiff, etc). This seems to be true based on my fittings as well. I will not recommend taking this to heart. Only one way to know for sure and that's to get cold hard numbers based on your own swing. We're talking PX OEM shafts, not PX made for OEM shafts.

So, soft stepping a DG S300 could get you closer to a PX 5.0. It's a difficult shaft to get in to without fittings, least for me it has been. Results with the driver have been great, glad I spent the extra time.

Wow your knowledge is impressive.

Wow your knowledge is impressive.

I must post my data and see what shaft you recommend :)

Given those numbers the S300 soft stepped or the PX 5.0's would make sense. PX 5.0 graphite would be a good option if you want to stay that route. You could also do Program 95's in a firm flex as well.

SS is fine. You aren't putting a lot of load on the shaft with the toe down and kick angle. Tempo being average means you handle handle a variety of weight as long as it's not too light but nothing too butt stiff. 3 release means you're releasing early so you're going to want something with a softer tip to help the ball get up.

The PX makes the most sense to me in this regard. Your tempo is enough to load it and the tip of the 5.0 is soft enough to give you that extra bit of help.
You could go with the soft stepped DG' S300's and be fine but it wouldn't be my first choice. Soft stepping them will get them close to a 5.0 flex but the kick/toe angle might be iffy with them.

What you've got now isn't helping you. It's too light and too tip soft. Between them you're probably launching the ball both too high and I would bet that your standard miss is a hook.

Back