Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pros

For those still following...... I've been out with the HMPs 3 times in 5 days and I'm starting to dial in these bad boys and its just not fair how long these irons play! I am easily 1/2 to 1 full club longer with these irons compared to my Rogue Pros. In the past several rounds with these in play, I didn't really focus on distance I was getting out of my scoring irons and my scores were evident..... Previous 2 rounds I shot 85, 88 and I don't know how many times I was long and off the green from 170 and in..... too many to count and was losing strokes. Spent some time on the range before the round trying to get a better feel for distances and it paid off.... wasn't really trusting the distances I was getting.... kept blaming a bad yardage or something else..... Today, I was certainly much better and my GIR rate went from 35% to 50%. Front nine I didn't putt very well and had a couple 3 putts and also had several 8 or 9i that I hit long. Overall, went 43/39 and had 19 putts on the front and 15 on the back!

As for the #AmericanSteel...... True Temper DG 120 S400s these are definitely the best shaft I've played..... I hit the ball high..... NOT @Canadan stratosphere high, but high (PX 6.0s have been in my last 2 Iron sets) and these DGs have lowered the trajectory a little which is also why I'm seeing a bit more distances.... Stopping power is still good....most of my approach shots that hit the green were within 5-10 feet of their divot with a couple checking up and spinning back a couple feet. Didn't do a good job with pictures so I can't show the shot on 17 Coyote Creek Valley played down wind 155.... Hit a PW and rode the wind a bit to 7' and the ball literally hopped and stopped..... And I made the putt!

Hoping to get out again tomorrow if I'm not too hung over..... or maybe a practice run for THP Experience 2020! ;)
Glad you are enjoying these so much. I really like my Tours but the thought of a HMP 4 iron still intrigues me. But then I remember my first on course swing with it during the event off the first tee. Absolutely smashed center face contact...but the most violent pull hook I've ever hit lol. Anyway, it does provide legit firepower in a long iron and feels pretty good.

Glad you are enjoying these so much. I really like my Tours but the thought of a HMP 4 iron still intrigues me. But then I remember my first on course swing with it during the event off the first tee. Absolutely smashed center face contact...but the most violent pull hook I've ever hit lol. Anyway, it does provide legit firepower in a long iron and feels pretty good.
[/
It is an absolute weapon.... I’m pretty confident with my irons for the most part but these have taken that confidence to another level. On shorter par 4s now I’m always reaching for this 4i and it rarely has disappointed!

Played again today with the HMPs and today was the first bad day with these irons.... Up to this point I've been really consistent with my ball striking with these clubs.... not sure what was going on with the swing today but I just couldn't adjust..... I hit several really good shots in the round but for every good shot, I probably hit 2 bad ones.... really nothing worthwhile to note other than the long irons were still really good today even with a bad swing going....

Won't be able to play this weekend so I have to get some swings in at the range to get this bad taste out of my mouth after today's round.

I added a HMP 5i to the bag to go with the 919F to see if HMP could replace the 5Hy. THe HMP is paired with a Recoil 460ES F3 shaft - not a shaft I would normally choose; I tend to reshaft. But results were --

Impressive

Ball comes off light and hot off the face.

Was getting mid to high mid trajectory

I'd estimate at least a club more in distance, and this is winter (okay, it was 48-58F during the round).

I was happy and smiling at the results which is tough to do.

Only question is whether to order the 4 and 6i in HMP to sandwich the 5i and strengthen the 919F 7i, which I hit well. But then I hit the 919F 6i from 163 against the wind on a part 3, hit and stuck to 5 feet - it was a good striking day.

But I think the HMP offers more consistency.

Pondering for a few more rounds. But I'm intrigued with hitting a 4i again instead of a hybrid

Last edited:
I added a HMP 5i to the bag to go with the 919F to see if HMP could replace the 5Hy. THe HMP is paired with a Recoil 460ES F3 shaft - not a shaft I would normally choose; I tend to reshaft. But results were --

Impressive

Ball comes off light and hot off the face.

Was getting mid to high mid trajectory

I'd estimate at least a club more in distance, and this is winter (okay, it was 48-58F during the round).

I was happy and smiling at the results which is tough to do.

Only question is whether to order the 4 and 6i in HMP to sandwich the 5i and strengthen the 919F 7i, which I hit well. But then I hit the 919F 6i from 163 against the wind on a part 3, hit and stuck to 5 feet - it was a good striking day.

But I think the HMP offers more consistency.

Pondering for a few more rounds. But I'm intrigued with hitting a 4i again instead of a hybrid
How would you characterize the feel off the face and the sound? From my experiences, I've been really surprised (pleasantly) on feel. Coming from a forged iron, its been really hard for me to tell the difference.

How would you characterize the feel off the face and the sound? From my experiences, I've been really surprised (pleasantly) on feel. Coming from a forged iron, its been really hard for me to tell the difference.
On the course, the HMP went off the face so fast with a real golf ball (Mizuno RBX - very soft feeling ball) that it felt like nothing - light and hot. With my MIzuno 919F, I had a similar feel. I don't even recall the sound on the course - the ball went off so fast with graphite shafts that I noticed no sound - so I'd say it was pleasant. lol. On less than great strikes, the 919F feels a tad crisp. I did not hit a poor resulting shot in 6 shots during the round with the HMP, I guess that says something BUT I did hit one thin shot with the HMP and it felt like any other thin shot - embarrassing - but straight and longish. But I lost something skidding along the ground.

Had the 919F and HMP 5i's on the range yesterday. Was hitting both well --- BUT I think I will have more consistency with HMP - I need to get the lie angle right - it' a little flat. Sending it in for a new shaft and will order the 6i HMP for the consistency factor. The 4i - tempting - need to check my talent level and put on the brakes for a ponder.

Last edited:
I just wanted to chime in here that I'm loving my HMP's. I've had them a couple of months now and have about got the distances sorted out. They are definitely longer than the AP2's I was playing before. I was fitted into the X100, whereas the AP2's had S300's in them so this may have added a bit to the distance-dunno. When I first got them and took them straight to the course I was hitting "fliers" at times and thought it was going to be an issue. Now that some lessons are paying dividends and my ball striking is a bit more consistent, these are fewer and farther between. For me they are very forgiving irons, but when I pure one the distance is pretty incredible.

My set is 5-GW

I just wanted to chime in here that I'm loving my HMP's. I've had them a couple of months now and have about got the distances sorted out. They are definitely longer than the AP2's I was playing before. I was fitted into the X100, whereas the AP2's had S300's in them so this may have added a bit to the distance-dunno. When I first got them and took them straight to the course I was hitting "fliers" at times and thought it was going to be an issue. Now that some lessons are paying dividends and my ball striking is a bit more consistent, these are fewer and farther between. For me they are very forgiving irons, but when I pure one the distance is pretty incredible.

My set is 5-GW

Haven't posted in a while on the HMPs but I continue to love these irons and the shaft set up! The DG120's are such a good match with these irons for me..... I will say that the X100 is the other shaft that I was looking at, but am very happy with DG120s.

Played today and if my damn putter would get right would have scored really well. Played Moffet field which can play long if windy, today wasn't too bad, but #12 Par 3 plays 188 on the score card from white and 212 from the blue, they had white and blue together playing 202 directly into the bay, breeze (probably played 210) added maybe half a club and I hit 4i to 20 feet below the hole..... buzzed the cup and ran it 5' past and luckily curled in the come backer to save par..... The beauty of the iron shot, is I hit it high (normally) and did so with this shot..... that distance is the top end of 4i for me and I hit it easily.... thanks to the irons being hot!

These HMP irons continue to impress..... played again today and this iron and shaft combo is outstanding and so, so easy to hit! Irons are long and hot and launch high! When I put a good swing on these the contact with the ball is like the scene in Rocky where he's punching the raw meat..... punching raw flesh! On top of hitting my irons really well today, I finally putted well.... shot even 36 on the front and a more normal 42 on the back! I missed two greens on the front which is why I scored so well, ..... definitely the irons at work! I continue to be excited about these irons and are definitely staying in the bag for the foreseeable future.

Hit these today and was super impressed. Was thinking apex pro combos or mp20mmc for the next set of irons. But now I'm not sure about those. These felt suprisingly good. Better than regular apexs but not quite mmc. Modus 120 shaft was money for me. Need to get on a monitor to get numbers but these were maybe slightly longer.

Forgiveness was superb on these and provided enough feedback to locate mis hits. That seems to be a rare thing with cast clubs but is something I want. Looks pretty nice too.

All at a cost well below apexs or mp's...kind of a no brainer.

Hit these today and was super impressed. Was thinking apex pro combos or mp20mmc for the next set of irons. But now I'm not sure about those. These felt suprisingly good. Better than regular apexs but not quite mmc. Modus 120 shaft was money for me. Need to get on a monitor to get numbers but these were maybe slightly longer.

Forgiveness was superb on these and provided enough feedback to locate mis hits. That seems to be a rare thing with cast clubs but is something I want. Looks pretty nice too.

All at a cost well below apexs or mp's...kind of a no brainer.

I think people were sleeping on the feel of these irons because they are cast, but I went from a forged to these and love them.

I think people were sleeping on the feel of these irons because they are cast, but I went from a forged to these and love them.

I'd agree with that. Honestly never even gave them much thought, but now they're at the top of the list. Will do a fitting in a few weeks to get some actual numbers and make a decision but these are gonna be tough to beat. Played mizunos and blades in the past and these really felt really good.

I'd agree with that. Honestly never even gave them much thought, but now they're at the top of the list. Will do a fitting in a few weeks to get some actual numbers and make a decision but these are gonna be tough to beat. Played mizunos and blades in the past and these really felt really good.
After the fitting, I'd love to hear what you choose.

Great read thanks for posting. I went from MP18 mmc to just regular 919 HM and really enjoying the switch. I have to agree these feel very nice especially when you find the middle.

Since moving to the HM I’ve shot my two lowest scores (80/84) for me that’s the best I’ve done and got my first hole in one on a 180y par 3! These are staying in the bag for sure and I have absolutely no plans to change at all.

Thanks for your reporting on the Hot Metal Pros. Please keep it up. You are obviously playing well with them, and your experiences are valuable to the rest of us. I am going through a similar transition.

I got fitted for and bought Hot Metals (not the Pros) in September and immediately noticed they are nearly a club longer than my previous set of irons (Cleveland HB3 super game improvement clubs with graphite shafts), which were in turn a half club longer than my earlier generation Pings. (This distance was gained while getting a decade older - go figure.) The trajectory with the Hot Metals is a bit flatter that the Clevelands. I wrote that off to the Mizuno's jacked lofts (7 iron = 30 degrees), and figured the distance was a function of the same thing, with maybe some influence from the KBS C-taper Lite 105 shafts. But maybe not - maybe it is the face.

I really like the feel of the Hot Metals. I think there is something to the whole "Nothing feels like a Mizuno" thing, forged or cast. I heard or read somewhere that a lot of the feel of an iron is not whether it is forged or cast but rather the type of metal the head is made of and the shaft it is mated to. In the case of the Hot Metals (and, I think, the Pros), the Chromoly isn't suited to forging but with the faces that are installed on the cast Chromoly frame the irons seem very soft feeling to me. It is just that the face just seems really hot. Do the Hot Metals Pros have a similar springy feel on proper contact?

I had long dreamt of owning true forged irons, but decided my game (i.e., me) wasn't worthy and it would be a waste. Then I had a chance to buy a lightly used set of forged Hogan Ft. Worth Blacks from another THP'er. I now have about 15 rounds on them and I have been shocked that I can actually hit them. They are surprisingly forgiving. Also, I'm more than a bit shocked that they are slightly longer than the Hot Metals despite having traditional lofts (7 iron = 34 degrees). Through the bag I'd say the Hogans have been maybe 5 yards longer with the 7 iron through PW and perhaps 8 to 10 yards longer on the 5 and 6 irons. I'm easily carrying the Hogan 5 iron 175 and the ball is stopping on greens like it is Velcro. That doesn't happen for me. The Hogans include a 4 iron which I have been carrying nearly 190, but I don't have a 4 in the Hot Metals. I went with a Titleist TS3 hybrid to gap properly between the Hot Metal 5 iron and my 3 metal.

Maybe some (most?) of the difference in distance between the Mizunos and Hogans is simply air temperature. I played the Mizunos in 60 and 50 degree temps at home last fall and early winter. We are now in New Zealand for the southern hemi summer (northern hemi winter), and I have been hitting the Hogans in 70 and 80 degree temps. Also, I brought some Snell MTB Xs down here, and they seem longer than the Chrome Softs I used to play. Perhaps the irons actually carry about the same distance.

There actually is a slight difference in feel between the Hot Metals and the Hogans. Neither are loud or clicky if you hit them right. The Hot Metals feel velvety but are noticeably hot - the ball jumps off the face and I think I can sense it when I flush one. They gap consistently through the set (thanks Mizuno). The Hogans don't feel (or sound) hot at all - the ball just flies quite high and long. They are also very nicely gapped, which I guess is known as a Hogan trait. I will leave the Hogans here and switch back to the Hot Metals when we get home. It will be interesting to have a chance to reflect on my initial impressions of the Mizunos after having had some time working with the Hogans. And I would like to keep up with your experience with the Hot Metal Pros as a comparison.

Bottom line, I am really pleased with both sets of irons, and finally having a really good set of irons. A part of me wishes I had tried the MP20 HMBs when I was doing the fitting. They are SOOOO cool looking.

When I hit the Hot Metal Pros flush, they feel like nothing, which is the feeling I get when I hit the 919Forged. But the HMP just rockets off the face with a bit lighter feel.

I don't have the numbers from my fitting, but will say that my ball flight seems about right with good descent angles. Playing with the DG120 X100 and get very little roll out in the mornings here in Florida as the greens are typically still wet from the morning watering. I truly couldn't be happier with the HMP's and agree they feel velvety when flushed (guess most irons do). Now if I can just get my swing to be more consistent so I can lower my scores!

Back