Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pros

Stemmy66

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find a thread specific to this iron so I'm posting up this one for those interested to read.

I recently acquired a set of these bad boys during the Ultimate Weekend with True Temper event and to be honest was really surprised they were still on the board as I picked #10 in the draft order. That said, I was really happy they were still available and today was the first day I was able to put them in play! I was only able to play the back nine due to...... work!

So these irons are fitted with True Temper DG120 S400 and with the exception of these being standard length I absolutely love the feel of these shafts. My previous gamer was 120g PX 6.0 in the Callaway Rogue Pro. I have to say that the heads of the HMP and the Rogue Pro are so similar in looks that it was super easy to transition into the HMPs from RP. The top line, the offset, the profile of the head were all pretty much virtually the same in both irons.

So, how did these irons and shafts perform on my first go? I would give them a B+ grade thus far and some of this has more to do with my current set up and the fact that these clubs are more stock clubs. I play my irons plus 3/4'' in length and 3* upright. My normal divot pattern is a shallow 3-4" long turf cut and what I was seeing today was more of a toe impact divot that was shallow and only toe end. Overall the ground interaction feel was very similar to my previous irons and I was very pleased with impact and feel of ball contact.

With the HMP, my misses were to the right throughout the bag. Long iron misses were more significantly right than scoring irons (to be expected) but not severely enough for me to be horribly out of position. However, I did miss a couple greens in regulation that I feel I would normally hit. Overall, I hit 4/9 greens in regulation and using the 4i off the tee on 3/9 holes I hit the FW all 3 times with 4i and 5FW out of 7 overall. I think a little lie adjustment will rectify this issue.

Moving from a forged iron in the RP to these cast 919 HMPs there was a noticeable difference in club distance which I didn't realize at first. On the first couple approach shots I hit I was long by about a 1/2 a club.... Initially, I thought it was more about mis-clubbing myself but it became more noticeable as I continued to play. On #15 which is a par 4 plays about 359 yds, I hit 4i off the tee and had 150 into an elevated green with the pin in the middle.... With the elevated green it usually plays about 1/2 club longer so I typically play a soft 8i into that green. I pulled 8i and stuffed it on the back of the green confirming the Hot Metals are hot. These clubs, paired with the TT DG 120 S400s are really prefect for my swing. I'm pretty quick transitioning from the top so this stability is a positive for me. The ball flight is exactly what I would expect and what I like, not overly high but high to land softly.

I have some plans to add some wraps under the current grips and maybe tweak the lie angle and see where these things will take me. I have some work travel coming up so I won't be able to get out again until mid-November but I'm hopeful that I can get in a range session in between to continue to get a feel of the club and shaft combo.

IMG_5122.jpgIMG_5123.jpgIMG_5124.jpg

Enjoyed reading that. Thanks for her review. Looking forward to following along

Great review big brother, great looking sticks and great job on the photos. Good luck with those babies, I’m sure once dialed in you’ll be hitting lasers. Just keep that snake ? out of your bag :ROFLMAO:!

Great review big brother, great looking sticks and great job on the photos. Good luck with those babies, I’m sure once dialed in you’ll be hitting lasers. Just keep that snake ? out of your bag :ROFLMAO:!

this set up is definitely gonna work for me! Paired with DG120 S400 allows me to swing easy and let the club do the work! Loved that the irons are a bit longer than current gamer errrr previous gamer! Just need some more time with these!

I love my HMP’s too! They are so easy to hit and so forgiving it’s almost unfair!

Although I don’t have the HMP’s (I’m a lefty so stuck with “just” the HM’s), I agree with how forgiving they are. I have the Nippon Modus shafts in mine and they feel amazing.

Although I don’t have the HMP’s (I’m a lefty so stuck with “just” the HM’s), I agree with how forgiving they are. I have the Nippon Modus shafts in mine and they feel amazing.
HMs are a damn good looking iron too! I would not be too upset about those beauties

Nice to read your take on this setup. I’ve become a big fan of the entire JPX919 lineup. Also enjoy hearing about the DG120. ?
The DG120 shaft just works for me! I have a less than smooth transition and tend to hit down on the ball so these shafts just work! Stability is very good and still produces a good ball flight for my swing. Looking forward to my next opportunity to get this combo out!

Finally got these back out today and what a blast. Played 9 holes with my wife (she plays rarely and hasn't swung a club in over a year) on a executive course (she had 2 pars). Longest hole was 315 and most holes played about less then 215 so I had lots of opportunities to these clubs.

Again, I have the True Temper DG120 S400 shafts in the 919s. My other iron set (Rogue Pro) the shafts are PX 6.0 and I have to say I was a big pessimistic about the switch, but I have to say that I am very happy with the performance of the DG shafts! The ball flight is a bit lower than PX and (hope I can explain clearly) the ball flight is a good high arc and seems to fly along the peak height before it starts the decent. With the PX the trajectory seems to reach its peak and just fall out of the sky. This trajectory may explain why I'm a 1/2 a club longer with the Mizuno irons.
The DG shaft just fits my swing and the weight perfect to help keep my dispersion pretty tight which is key for my iron game success.

I have a couple pictures on my phone from the day but have yet to send to my computer. I didn't take as many pics as I wanted, because I was spending time helping my wife with her club selection and alignment (not sure why I know how far she hits her clubs, but she doesn't). Shot 4 over with 5 pars and 4 bogies using just irons. Still getting used to the distances of these irons a bit. #2 was a par 3 168yds to the flag which is a 7i for me. Pin was in the back about 2-3 paces on. Hit a high soft draw (I don't draw) left of the flag that hit about 3 feet over the green and slid down the back side of the green. So carry was probably 175ish which 1/2 longer than my Rogue 7i. Got up and down to save par. 4i & 5i distances were more difficult to judge than my low irons. Played the par 4 315 hole using the 4i off the tee with a plan to have about 105-110 in as I hit my Rogue 4i about 185-190. I must have flushed this shot as I ended up with 95. The very next hole played 290 so I played 4i again from the tee and I had 100 left there...... But I felt like I flushed that shot as well..... Need some more work with these and lucky for me the weather looks good tomorrow and I'm scheduled to tee off at 7:12am.

Still need to change the club set up a bit to fit my preferences which I think will make me really comfortable with the clubs..... Shafts are standard length so I will add 3/4" also, will add 3 wraps to build up the Lamkin Sonar grips that are installed. Grips are really nice, tacky and fairly firm which is my preference. Adding the extra wraps should help me keep my hands relaxed and able to release the club. More to come.

Back out this AM with this 919 HMP and DG120 S400 combo and these continue to perform for me! Really starting to love the feel of the shafts paired with this.... is firm, but not boardy and provides a good feel for my swing speed. Played my local Baylands course which is a links style layout with a couple local guys. Played Blues which are 6200 yds and besides missing 3 very make-able birdies I played pretty well again with these irons. Course is pretty wide open but greens undulate a lot and are pretty fast. Hitting fairways was key as there was quite a bit of roll in the course. Kept stats and pretty similar numbers on both sides: FIR- 4/7; GIR 5/9 shot +4 Back 9 FIR 5/7; GIR 6-9 and also shot 4 over. Miss continues to be right side which I attribute a bit to the length and lie of the set up. Gotta put some work in to pull grips and lengthen.

Irons are hot and play really similarly to my Rogue Pros. I'm very happy these were available when I picked.

Some great feedback here Stemmy

Some great feedback here Stemmy
Honestly, I am very happy with this combo! @Canadan did a great job pairing the head and shaft combo.... almost like he knew someone like me was gonna end up with these bad boys. The shaft weight + flex provides the exact feel that I prefer in an iron shaft and paired with the head makes this a great combination for me. Next time I'll have to make sure Dan knows to leave this sort of set up +1'' .... just for me :banana:

Enjoyed reading through this thread, thanks Stemmy!

Honestly, I am very happy with this combo! @Canadan did a great job pairing the head and shaft combo.... almost like he knew someone like me was gonna end up with these bad boys. The shaft weight + flex provides the exact feel that I prefer in an iron shaft and paired with the head makes this a great combination for me. Next time I'll have to make sure Dan knows to leave this sort of set up +1'' .... just for me :banana:
Sooooooo picky.

Ok, finally back to these irons.... finally got these back in the bag after some tweaking of the standard LLL. Added 3/4" to length and removed Sonar grips to build up more to a midsize or jumbo grip. Was in SoCal unexpectedly to help my BIL do some work on his house and I threw the clubs in hoping to get some range time.... well I did one better.... worked in a round on Saturday afternoon (only got 15 holes in before dark, not bad since we teed off at 2:10 and the course was packed).... I only had my irons, driver & my shoes in the truck, not expecting anything but range time....

Weather was perfect to play and my iron game was pretty good overall. Chose to play white tees which played about 6k and I used quite a few 4 iron tee shots. I typically play a fade because of an upright swing and time to time OTT swing, but yesterday the swing was pretty fresh and these irons absolutely responded.... feel off the face is better than I remembered in FL and any of the previous rounds I've played. A couple times after launching the 4i about 215-220, I had to do a double take and look at the club face to see where I made contact...... when these clubs are flushed they are definitely hotter than my previous Rogue Pro Irons.... overall, I have to say that I really like the longer irons, but the scoring irons I'm not seeing as much difference on distance, feel, than previous irons, but some of that may be limited rounds.

I have to say the added length made the clubs more 'playable' from an address perspective.... I felt like I was crowding the ball prior and now feel as though I'm where I should be, which mentally may have helped my ball striking. I am really liking these irons and will continue to have them in play for the foreseeable future. Thanks #TrueTemper, #THP for the awesome event..... These Mizuno are legit for me

Was back out on the links today and it was another fun day with these clubs! Really loving the extra yardage I've getting from these irons over my previous gamers. Hit the range to get loose..... cool 60* windy day on the bay! The wind today was coming from the south east which is 180* from normal so holes that normally play into the wind were with the wind and vice versa.... course played completely different than normal.

I hit a lot of long irons again today and they just flat out are nuts..... Most of the Par 3s on this course are in the 150 range but the back 9 has 2 Par 3s that play 180 and 200 respectively. Played the 180 with the wind at my back hitting 7 iron (normally 165 distance) stuck on the green left of the flag but an easy 2 putt for par..... #16 is the longer Par 3 which played at 194 today but was into the wind.... Hit the 4i which is my 190-200yd club. Hit one on the screws that stuck on the green right of the flag and about 25-30 feet past the hole. Green is sloped back to front which helped keep the ball on the green, but the putt down hill breaking right to left made it a tough putt which I blew by about 10' and missed the come back, but it felt absolutely great to nut the 4i into the wind and hit that green.

I continue to love the lower trajectory that my True Temper DG 120 S400 shafts are giving me as well, but I think i need to get on a launch monitor with the lower irons.... I seem to hit a lot of balloon 8 & 9is so I think I'm spinning it too much, but my distance is still good and predictable. The dispersion with these shafts are on point, I know when I miss a shot now that its fully my swing and nothing with the shaft. Clubs are flat out performing for me and with the adjustments I made to length and grips is really helping my confidences with these sticks! Oh, and did I mention how nice the Sonar grips are..... love them!

Attachments

• IMG_5517.jpg
    IMG_5517.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5518.jpg
    IMG_5518.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5519.jpg
    IMG_5519.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5520.jpg
    IMG_5520.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5521.jpg
    IMG_5521.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 19
For those still following...... I've been out with the HMPs 3 times in 5 days and I'm starting to dial in these bad boys and its just not fair how long these irons play! I am easily 1/2 to 1 full club longer with these irons compared to my Rogue Pros. In the past several rounds with these in play, I didn't really focus on distance I was getting out of my scoring irons and my scores were evident..... Previous 2 rounds I shot 85, 88 and I don't know how many times I was long and off the green from 170 and in..... too many to count and was losing strokes. Spent some time on the range before the round trying to get a better feel for distances and it paid off.... wasn't really trusting the distances I was getting.... kept blaming a bad yardage or something else..... Today, I was certainly much better and my GIR rate went from 35% to 50%. Front nine I didn't putt very well and had a couple 3 putts and also had several 8 or 9i that I hit long. Overall, went 43/39 and had 19 putts on the front and 15 on the back!

As for the #AmericanSteel...... True Temper DG 120 S400s these are definitely the best shaft I've played..... I hit the ball high..... NOT @Canadan stratosphere high, but high (PX 6.0s have been in my last 2 Iron sets) and these DGs have lowered the trajectory a little which is also why I'm seeing a bit more distances.... Stopping power is still good....most of my approach shots that hit the green were within 5-10 feet of their divot with a couple checking up and spinning back a couple feet. Didn't do a good job with pictures so I can't show the shot on 17 Coyote Creek Valley played down wind 155.... Hit a PW and rode the wind a bit to 7' and the ball literally hopped and stopped..... And I made the putt!

Hoping to get out again tomorrow if I'm not too hung over..... or maybe a practice run for THP Experience 2020! ;)

Seriously pondering HMP 4 and 5 irons to go with the 6-gw 919 Forged that I won. Need the help in the long irons and think they are the more forgiving irons in the 919 series.

Seriously pondering HMP 4 and 5 irons to go with the 6-gw 919 Forged that I won. Need the help in the long irons and think they are the more forgiving irons in the 919 series.
I absolutely endorse this..... These are super forgiving irons and truly are hot.... feel is really good even though they're cast clubs.... I can't be happier with these irons.

Back