Modus 120 vs c taper vs project x

Clarkey

Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm looking for a little more info on the above!

How do they play in terms of flex compared to each other and project x?

How would launch and spin compare across the 3

Looking for new shaft options heading into some new irons!

Any info would be great thanks in advance

I've played all three, namely Modus3 120X, C Taper S, and Project X 6.5. Here's my experience:

Launch: Project X will launch the highest. Modus in the middle. C Taper the lowest.
Spin: Modus and Project X spin similarly with the Modus spinning ever so slightly higher, C Taper spins the least.
Feel: Modus has the best feel, and by that I mean it feels the softest. Project X is in the middle, and C Taper feels the harshest/boardiest.

Notice I'm comparing X-flex in the Modus and Project X to Stiff flex in C-Taper. C-Taper is extremely boardy and stiff, but you may like that. I did for a time, but off-center hits were painful.

Modus3 is my favorite of the bunch, best combination of feel and flight. I prefer a mid-flight with the ability to work trajectory as needed.

Project X is a great shaft but it has a really different ball flight than the other two, it launches real high but has a really flat trajectory, it soars and soars and then drops from the sky.

Got a buddy with some serious power and have been looking at C-taper for a lower trajectory, now it sounds like Modus3 is worth a looking into. He definitely needs to get fitted but at least now we have a direction.

Here's some information on the bend profile with some excerpts on another site, I don't know the linking policy so I'll just share what I've found.

" For this area of shaft swing speed rating, iron shafts with a 820-830 tip stiffness under our methodology are more for a midway release player. Early release iron shaft for these butt stiffnesses would be more in the area of 730 to 770.

Also, For this area of shaft swing speed rating, iron shafts with an 870 to 900 tip are still later release players' shafts. Not for a VERY late release as that is more in the area of where the DG is at 950. " Tom Wishon

Shaft BP.jpgShaft BP X.jpg

Back