Moving from regular to mid size grips?

Little thing I've done in the past is vary the layers of tape underneath till you figure out one that feels the best with thickness. I've found 3 layers of tape (yes a pain to remove when you need new grips) works best for me under regular grip.

I've been using midsize grips for the last year or so. I really like them and they feel more comfortable in hand.

Midsize grips were gamer changers for me. More speed from a looser grip and better feel. Seems easier to control irons too.

I play standard irons, but midsize up at the top of my bag. I don't have large hands, but I enjoy the comfort... I honestly couldn't tell you if it has had any effect on my game though

Went from standard to midsize +3 wraps and I am liking it. I probably still grip too hard at impact but at least my fingers aren't digging into my palm and causing finger soreness. No noticeable ball flight difference for me, I guess my senses aren't keen enough.

I went from std. to jumbo a long time ago. love them -- But I have large hands as in palm a basketball.

I play slightly larger than midsize (I use 9 layers of tape on standard .60 grips). Started bigger grips 4 years ago and my ball striking improved instantly. I will never go back to "standard" size.

I switched to midsize about a year ago and have been really happy with the change

It's interesting, this is something I have spent more time on than I ever should have. I got obsessed with using midsized grips while trying new clubs during an ebay phase and was constantly getting them changed. Then at some point I decided it was actually impeding my release and I went to standard with 2 wraps. I liked that better.

Then after the Cleveland Shootout event, I dropped down to standard on everything, and things worked fine, so I've been leaving it alone.

I think the right balance for me is standard with 2 wraps on woods and standard on irons. A little extra heft on the big clubs helps with control. I guess that's next on the experimental list.

I’m sold on giving mid size grips a shot this year.
I think you'd enjoy them if you've have larger hands or close the face to quickly.

I prefer a midsized by feel, but play standard with 3 wraps right now. I haven't been able to justify buying midsized ones when I have some good standard sized still. I don't have a full set anymore so probably will get some next time I regrip.

Went to mid sized last year. While I don’t like the utx at all, I love the size. Will not be going back.

Either midsize or standard +4 wraps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I once switched from REG to MID and found out for me personally I liked the MIDS on the irons but not so much on the drivers

I play slightly larger than midsize (I use 9 layers of tape on standard .60 grips). Started bigger grips 4 years ago and my ball striking improved instantly. I will never go back to "standard" size.

Quick question: I'm glad you found something that works but why 9 wraps under a standard? Why not just build up a midsize?

To answer the question, though, I have tried a lot of combinations and right now I like my setup of MCC Plus 4 standard with 1.5 extra wraps.
Midsize grips will dampen a lot of shock on mishits, but the downside is that it makes it harder to turn your hands.

I can’t imagine getting those on, heck 4 layers of tape can be hard enough to get on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick question: I'm glad you found something that works but why 9 wraps under a standard? Why not just build up a midsize?

I find when building up grips from standard I have more control of the grips overall taper. It also keeps the feel on the firmer side.

When I do 9 layers it’s only 4 layers full, next is 3” down from top, next 3.5”, next 4” till I reach 9 layers.

I only tape to 9.5” down from top since with so much tape it’s hard to get the grip on. I like the grip a bit shorter anyway, keeps it consistent in feel vs when you stretch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I go in between the 2 sizes. Both GP and Lamkin fitting have me in standard very close to crossing into midsize. If I have a .600 shaft, I will try to get .580 grips and add one layer of masking tape under the double sided tape. That gets me halfway from standard to midsize and make the process a little easier than adding 3 layers of masking tape to get there.

Back