Moving - Hire Movers or Rent Truck

Hire movers. If unsure, hire movers.

Years ago we hired guys to load up a U-haul truck for us. They loaded up the heavy furniture and all the items we boxed up. When we got to our destination, we hired another set of guys to unload it. We saved a bunch of money and didn’t have to kill ourselves moving. Not sure if that’s an option for you, but it might save you some money. No idea what the cost would be today.

This thread has me going...

Seriously though some good info...

Good luck with your move Matt, sorry I won't be seeing you at the "Wick" this season. I'll be there one more year then it looks like we'll be moving towards the Sandusky area to be closer to the kids and our grandson.....why am I moving north, wrong damn direction!!

It depends on how far you are moving and how reliable is your help. If not too far and you have reliable help renting a truck is fine but if you have to move a long way or you are not sure you can rely on your help hire movers. When I moved, I rented a truck and loaded it mostly alone but did have a few friends help with some large items. However, when I got to my new house, all of my help suddenly had excuses why they couldn’t come help me unload it when they had already said they would be there. Fortunately for me, my new neighbor is just a great guy. I was sitting in the U-Haul in the phone trying to get some help when he walked over and asked where my help was. I told him I wish I knew. 15 minutes later, he and I had unloaded the entire truck.

At 54, I am not moving myself again unless it's mid zombie apocalypse! Like others have mentioned, the process (other than paying for it) is harmless and the guys who do it for a living make it look easy, get it done fast and will take better care of your stuff than your friends/family who help.

Movers all day every day..............i moved myself enough in my single days that's a young persons game.

Accept my condolences. Moving at the same time is a big joy and a real headache.
Add in the COVID-19 crisis and it exponentially adds to the real headache part.

We’ve decided to load up & will be making the drive down on Friday morning.

Hopefully I don’t run into state line closures.

When I moved, the guys from move my stuff helped me, so check them out and take an online quote. This will be quite a trip so better organize everything to categories and reduce everything to a minimum. I know it's hard to get rid of the stuff you think you need, but believe me, you won't need all that in a new place. I donated and sold a lot of stuff before I moved and I didn't have to pay extra money to take them with me and sell them after. My case, was a happy one, with no issues and problems, but I read some scary stories online the other day, so make sure to find a reliable company.

Last edited:
At 54, I am not moving myself again unless it's mid zombie apocalypse! Like others have mentioned, the process (other than paying for it) is harmless and the guys who do it for a living make it look easy, get it done fast and will take better care of your stuff than your friends/family who help.

I’m not 54 but I’m not doing it either. When I bought this place I told my then wife I was tired of moving and would die here.

She gone! Cya! But I’m still here. Not sure about long term as I’m thinking of just GTFO’ing now and using equity to buy a smaller place outright, will have to see.

At any rate, whenever I land, I’ll be using movers again. 1. I can’t do it myself anymore 2. I don’t want to do it at all.

It’s like working on my car. Sure, I can do it. But all it does is aggregate the hell out of me.

About 5 years ago my wife and I packed up a 1200SF 3BR vacation home and moved it into a storage unit then about 4 months later moved it out of the storage unit and into a new home. On the move out we found a couple of guys we paid $20 an hour to help get the truck loaded and on the move in got my son and a couple of friends to help us out. We didn't have a ton of crap because it wasn't our primary home and nothing was special.

10 years before that we moved our primary home 3 miles and I paid movers to do it. That was 2200 SF of stuff and lots of crap. I wouldn't have wanted to do that move myself.

Last time I moved myself I was down for a week. Pay them!

When I was younger I always preferred to do it myself and save money. Last time I did it in my late 40’s it took me 2 weeks to recover from the soreness. That was the last move I’ll do.
This is basically my answer.

I will definitely be paying someone when I move again.

Last month, I only moved across town and was ready to kill someone by the end of the day. I just couldn’t bear moving to another state, especially on my own. It’s a lot of bloody money, but if you can afford it, I’d be going down the professional route. More so after the truck U-Haul gave me was the sketchiest vehicle I’ve ever had the misfortune to drive!

I just don't have the familial social network to impose upon and ask to heave my heavy stuff. Last time my 77 yr old uncle and I lifted a heavy queen size mattress, I thought we were both going to expire. :ROFLMAO: (It wasn't elder abuse, he's super strong!) :LOL:

Have used the last 4+ years to rid the family house of excess stuff. Need to find a nice townhouse now. Near or on a golf course.
I haven't moved in eons. Very imposing. :eek:

What type of stuff are you moving and how many flights of stairs are we taking. The drive is the easy part. But if you have big furniture or are moving to a second or third story, MOVERS

I have two bedroom pieces that are enormously long and heavy that I want to keep and there is no way on this earth I envision myself even laying a hand on them, other than to empty the drawers. (y) Same with some dining pieces. No way, no how. Or couches...or....
The treadmill will be the fun one. Not touching that at all but to walk on it.
Anything old and valuable is packed by me and more than likely moved by me.
I've never had a mover before, so it would be a nice change.

Years ago I helped my son move to Nashville. We rented and did the move ourselves because I was still young enough to do some heavier lifting & moving. Three years ago my wife and I moved from a home we had lived in for 40 years to a house in a town just 8 miles away. We moved small stuff but had a mover due the furniture, appliances, etc. I was shocked at all the "stuff" we had accumulated over those years. I live in Ohio. Going to Florida is a long way to drive a big UHaul. They are not really comfortable. I would use a mover.

Me and my wife moved from Dallas to KC, and we took kind of a "hybrid" approach.

We rented a UHaul which I drove up here, but we paid a couple of movers to help us load the truck, wrap up the valuable stuff etc. Kind of the best of both worlds, and definitely saved some of the costs associated with a cross-country move.

we sold our home in july and moved things into storage ourselves over the course of a month, followed by one last hurrah to move the big stuff out the week before we closed.

absolutely zero interest in doing that ever again. we're hiring somebody to move our storage unit into our new home when we move in.

i'm totally fine packing everything into boxes. but actually moving it? HARD pass.

Alright fellas...so here is the question. We are scheduled to move our stuff down tonFlorida from Ohio in a month. We’ve had a few moving quotes & they are anywhere from $2000 - $10000+. Honestly we aren’t taking all of our stuff, most of our stuff is already packed in the garage. I’ve looked at U-Haul and I can rent a truck, pack it & drive down for under $2,600. I’m skeptical about movers, I’ve heard & read the horror stories.

What would you do? Anyone have any discount codes for U-Haul or know a well recommended moving company?
I hire movers on both ends and rent/drive the truck myself. This is a little more expensive than doing it all yourself but far cheaper than outsourcing the entire move.

Plus, I HATE moving!!! If I go to Hell, I know that's the job waiting for me down there...

we sold our home in july and moved things into storage ourselves over the course of a month, followed by one last hurrah to move the big stuff out the week before we closed.

absolutely zero interest in doing that ever again. we're hiring somebody to move our storage unit into our new home when we move in.

i'm totally fine packing everything into boxes. but actually moving it? HARD pass.
I prefer this in reverse. Y'all can wrap, and bubble, and pack, and label, and I'll load the truck. And drive it, actually.

We recently had Mayflower move our stuff from NE to AR, into storage. Little over 7k. Not worth it. I could have paid my guys for a day to pack and load, and they sure as heck wouldn't have damaged a couple of my more expensive tools doing it. My wife didn't even want to tell me what she saw as some of the stuff was unloaded. When we decide on a house, it'll be my guys and a a few big UHaul trips to get the stuff there.

I hire movers on both ends and rent/drive the truck myself. This is a little more expensive than doing it all yourself but far cheaper than outsourcing the entire move.

:LOL::LOL:

Back