How good do the HMB’s look?!
Reaction score
My Srixon Z565
6- 27*
7-31*
8-35*
9-39*
PW-44*

Now my question is, I'm wanting to take advantage of the new technology that's out there for game improvement irons. Do I need game improvement irons, I don't think so but why not take advantage of forgiveness and distance??
So here's two brands I'd potentially look at-

Callaway B21
6-25*
7-29*
8-33*
9-38*
PW-43*

Titleist T400
6-23*
7-26*
8-29*
9-33*
PW-38*

LOL is this considered loft jacking on some? I want forgiveness and distance so why not? Can I gain another 10 yards or more per iron on these 2?

You could, but spin and descent angle matter more. Case in point, I hit the JPX forged 8 yards further than my i210s, but the descent angle was 43* and spin was 5500 with a 7 iron. I may have added distance but at the cost of being able to hold greens. So if you want to make the change get the numbers first

My Srixon Z565
6- 27*
7-31*
8-35*
9-39*
PW-44*

Now my question is, I'm wanting to take advantage of the new technology that's out there for game improvement irons. Do I need game improvement irons, I don't think so but why not take advantage of forgiveness and distance??
So here's two brands I'd potentially look at-

Callaway B21
6-25*
7-29*
8-33*
9-38*
PW-43*

Titleist T400
6-23*
7-26*
8-29*
9-33*
PW-38*

LOL is this considered loft jacking on some? I want forgiveness and distance so why not? Can I gain another 10 yards or more per iron on these 2?
My Epic Forged irons are 1 degree stronger than the B21's but 1 degree weaker than the T400's No problems getting spin or holding greens.

Modern iron lofts are like having a bag full of 1 irons with spring board faces.

But it's where the game is heading today.........so ya gotta have it right? ;)

My Epic Forged irons are 1 degree stronger than the B21's but 1 degree weaker than the T400's No problems getting spin or holding greens.

I had an Epic Forged 4 iron for about a dozen rounds which is 18* of loft. I hit it 230ish yards so it really didn't have a place in my bag to fill a gap so it's now in my son's bag. With his flexibility and swing speed, he mainly uses it as a driving iron off the tee. Strong lofts are here to stay but I'm not ready to carry 5 or 6 wedges.

Hit the clubs and see what the results are. If you like the results and think they'll improve your golf/make you happy then go for it. I have not hit all of the clubs on the market so I can't comment on what improvements are available.

If 25-26* is your lowest playable iron though then the T400 set should start with the 7.

Dave

I agree the best way to judge would be to try and hit the clubs to see the feel and which are more comfortable to your swing

Are the yellow suit coats bright enough. I think they went back in time to grab them.

You might want one as an additional 6-iron that flies further, or a 5 or 4 that fills in a gap and is easier to hit than an equivalent 565 would be, but you're probably past playing a whole set of that type of iron imo. Snicks epic forged always seem like an anomaly in that they are strong and long but somehow generate some spin. That's not usually the case.

I know I should say “weighting” and all those other key words but I’m just not buying it tonight.

My first set of real irons, Ping Eye 2 (copies, lol) will do everything any current iron I’ve hit will, loft for loft.

They’re primitively perimeter weighted but lofted as such...

PW 49*
9i 45*
8i 40*.

They’re a club down loft wise on my current set, but I hit equal lofted ones the same distance.

There’s only so much you can do to an iron. Maybe the changes benefit someone that doesn’t send it into orbit a little more, but with a HIGH ball flight, better weighting to get the ball airborne doesn’t help.

I know I should say “weighting” and all those other key words but I’m just not buying it tonight.

My first set of real irons, Ping Eye 2 (copies, lol) will do everything any current iron I’ve hit will, loft for loft.

They’re primitively perimeter weighted but lofted as such...

PW 49*
9i 45*
8i 40*.

They’re a club down loft wise on my current set, but I hit equal lofted ones the same distance.

There’s only so much you can do to an iron. Maybe the changes benefit someone that doesn’t send it into orbit a little more, but with a HIGH ball flight, better weighting to get the ball airborne doesn’t help.

I generally agree with this. The last time I said this people were critical and I think thought I was a technology denier. Eventually a golf industry guy came in and basically said you and I are wrong.

I've hit enough clubs that I'm confident it is true for my game.

Dave

Back