My dad turns 70 today, need some iron advice

#troy

Jax, FL
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
My dad turns 70 today and I want to get him a new set of irons.
Im not up to speed on SGI irons, he prefers normal iron heads rather than a mixed set of hybrids.

He has been gaming the same set of Titleist DCI irons for 25-30 years. loves them but needs a major upgrade.

I've looked at the following, any other suggestions?
Titleist T400's
MIZUNO JPX923 HOT METAL HL
Ping G430 HL

I'm 70 and play the G425s and love them. I tried the JPX 923 HM and the T300s and ended up with the 425s. It was just an easier club to get in the air and went dead straight. I start with the 6i and go through the GW. I have hit the 430s and they are pretty darn close to the 425s and not worth a change for me.

I would start with the Pings. My dad played those and loved them.

You could look at the Srixon ZX4s as well. They are a good looking forgiving club.

Wish him a happy birthday. Give him the gift of a fitting.

T400s are super strong lofted if I recall - might be an issue for slower swing speeds. I’d have him hit them all. The Mizuno HL irons are really nice IMO with tons of no charge shaft and grip options.

I'm 69 and love my Ping G710's

I am 69 and really like my PXG 0211s. I think the biggest thing is to make sure of a good fitting .

My dad turns 70 today and I want to get him a new set of irons.
Im not up to speed on SGI irons, he prefers normal iron heads rather than a mixed set of hybrids.

He has been gaming the same set of Titleist DCI irons for 25-30 years. loves them but needs a major upgrade.

I've looked at the following, any other suggestions?
Titleist T400's
MIZUNO JPX923 HOT METAL HL
Ping G430 HL

Edel SMS
Callaway Apex DCB.

I've used both the last couple of years with graphite shafts (I'm 64). Either would be a revelation for him after 25 year old irons. Game improvement (not SGI), but very forgiving. If you're not taking him for a fitting, I would rely on the measurements in the Ping Chart. I've used that to fit over the years and it has always worked out well for lie and length.

Are you just going to buy the irons, or is a fitting involved? I would strongly recommend a fitting, or whatever you get will be a crapshoot.

75 here and rally enjoy the PXG 0211DC irons with the MMT senior flex shafts. I still have my Apex CF16 irons, which I put in play occasionally as well. Those have Recoil F2/senior flex shafts as well. The PXGs have a little bit stronger lofts, and I get a good 1/2 to almost a full club more distance out of them.

I have XXIO 12s. 5, 7, 9, AW, and SW Designed for senior golfers who need lightweight clubs.
I'd recommend a fitting also. Tell the fitter exactly what you want.
I wanted to hit tiny greens with approach shots with my irons so the fitter found a shaft that would do that with my swing.
The game is a lot easier when you can hit and hold tiny greens from 100 yards.

Are you just going to buy the irons, or is a fitting involved? I would strongly recommend a fitting, or whatever you get will be a crapshoot.

did a shaft fitting a few weeks ago, validated R flex instead of Senior. Was going to reshaft my 0211's but think i am just going new set route.

he's standard in lie/length.

If you are in place where you/he can try them, the Cobra Air-X are solid.

If he is still in an R shaft a T300 is a great place to start. If he could use just a bit more shot making capability the Cleveland mixed sets are fantastic, and a great deal as well. I got these to try out graphite shafts. Ended up liking them better than my T300s al less than half the price...

I’m 72 and love my Mizuno 921 hot metals so the 923 are likely a bit better. Buy him a fitting first then the clubs that fit perfectly.

I'm 75 and play to a 12 hc.

I've been playing the T300's for the last two generations (about 3 years) and really enjoy them. Will probably buy the next iteration as well; however, I just switched to the G430's HL. I was tempted to go with the regular G430's but after hearing how your swing speed increases with a lighter swing weight, I decided to go with the HL model. I think I made the right decision.

I've only played one round with them, but I've been hitting them indoor with a launch monitor for months and they are easy to hit, get the ball in the air, have decent spin, and don't punish you on mishits.

I prefer to hit an iron whenever I can, but most of the time I resort to a hybrid with my 2nd shots; however, in the one round that I played with the G430's, I decided to focus on hitting irons and they seemed to do just fine so I'm hoping to use the hybrid only sparingly for distance shots when appropriate.

I was also concerned that they might be too light and I would have trouble with dispersion. I'm happy to say that they were very accurate. It will take a few rounds to get really comfortable with them, but with all the positives that I mentioned, I'll keep them in the bag and get them dialed in.

As a senior golfer who is meticulous about my equipment selection, I feel very comfortable recommending these.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Picked up a set of the Mizuno 923 HL's with 4 and 5 hybrid included.
He will get to take them out first time this Sunday. Gonne be fun!

I'm also 70. If I had some money I might say f-it and go with T-rails.

I have a very forgiving set of Diawa G3 Titanium Compo irons. they were my fathers before he passed. Diawa Ultra light weight Slim light shafts. Just need new grips & cleaned up
3 - PW
PM me if interested. Just ask you pay shipping and their yours.
1683151404148928900353165113870.jpg16831514394818579829905803724912.jpg16831514886888010855432802466256.jpg

Great choice! Let us know how they work for him.
First round in the books. He hit them very well, need to get some more time to dial in club selection distances but he knocked some pins down today. Was fun. Back out Sunday and next Thursday.

Back