My DIY backyard putting green

My DIY backyard putting green

Can you give us a preview of what's next in the process? what are you filling in with? This looks like a great project!

Sure. I'm in Chicago for a few days on work, so not much until later in the week, here's what's next with some pics.

I made a few trips with my dads truck to get the crushed limestone, right now I have about 2.4 tons, which cost around $90. I think I may need more, but won't know until I start putting it down. The next steps will be to lay down a weed barrier, then start filling with the crushed limestone. After that get it compacted and leveled, making any breaks in the green I want, as well as installing the cups. I'll post more pics and details as I do that. Here's my pile of limestone, lots of shoveling (it's much bigger than it looks in the picture:

4bdf3ee24f6a2f13f7e9bdbb9336b00b.jpg

Had a few supplies come in yesterday as well. A pair of heavy duty shears for cutting the green, some galvanize landscape staples for fastening the turf, and some cups!

528f74a9bfaa5aa8abbb78f11d6cc44d.jpg

Great looking project. Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Awesome idea..another benefit to having a house!

Misike, your doing great! I used to own a commercial manufactured grass company called Green Eagle. I can't overemphasize the importance of essentially creating a solid road bed before you put the grass on top. Keep in mind two things keep the grass in place: The bender boards you have around the edge of the green and the fill you put into the grass. For that reason don't get too crazy with undulations when you create the base. But if you put some thought into it, you can give yourself a lot of different types of putts even on a small green like that.

Looks like you are on the right track, can't wait to see the finished product

Good stuff, can't wait for some after pictures.

Looking good, can't wait to see the finished green!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been thinking about paying someone to put one in for me for about 4 years, and the $12-20k always makes the decision pretty quick. Never really thought about trying to do it myself so this is one of my new favorite threads! Subscribing and looking forward to more updates and seeing how it holds up a few months down the road. Thanks for taking the time to post this!

12-20 K seems pretty high

8k of that was labor

I'd love to do this. Looking forward to updates!

This is looking great. Can't wait to see the results

subscribed. Really looking forward to seeing it completed.

Last edited:
Excited to see the finished project and feedback on difficulty installing.

Nice!

You have a key part of your infrastructure already in place: a good fence. I've thought of putting in a practice green as well. I live in a wooded area - without a fence, the deer would really enjoy the turf

This looks really interesting. Going to follow along with this one.

Excited to see the finished project and feedback on difficulty installing.

So far difficulty level has been low. As long as you're ok with some manual labor. The part I think will be hardest is getting the slopes how I want them (planning too, since I'm not 100 percent sure what breaks I want), putting in the border, seeing how the turf lays down, and digging/placing the cups. I've researched it all and watched videos, all seems very doable. Just like first time with anything, you don't know until you know.

Nice!

You have a key part of your infrastructure already in place: a good fence. I've thought of putting in a practice green as well. I live in a wooded area - without a fence, the deer would really enjoy the turf

Hmm, I would have never guessed deer like to eat artificial turf. Fence will help with that for sure. That fence was another DIY project, much more of a beast than this simple green (300 plus yards, hand assembled from pieces, not prebuilt).

This is cool. Looking forward to see the finished product.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Very cool, now you have me thinking :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So far difficulty level has been low. As long as you're ok with some manual labor. The part I think will be hardest is getting the slopes how I want them (planning too, since I'm not 100 percent sure what breaks I want), putting in the border, seeing how the turf lays down, and digging/placing the cups. I've researched it all and watched videos, all seems very doable. Just like first time with anything, you don't know until you know.

Hmm, I would have never guessed deer like to eat artificial turf. Fence will help with that for sure. That fence was another DIY project, much more of a beast than this simple green (300 plus yards, hand assembled from pieces, not prebuilt).

Not so much the munching, but the pawing, trampling, pooping, and all the other deer activities that would lead to the early demise of your hard work

Looks like a great project !

There are lots of colorful plants and flowers that really deter the deer. They don't like the smell so they stay away. A few of those along the fence might do the trick.

http://gracefulgardens.com/deer-repellent

Looks like a great project !

There are lots of colorful plants and flowers that really deter the deer. They don't like the smell so they stay away. A few of those along the fence might do the trick.

http://gracefulgardens.com/deer-repellent

Thanks for the tip, but there won't be any deer coming in, the fence is just over 6 feet high and goes around the complete back of the property. Good to know for the front yard though.

Project looks great so far. Looking forward to following along.

As far as cost though.... The total compensation for your 2 laborers, not to mention the supervisor (wife), will skew your initial cost estimate. :D

Back