Beating Adults at 13
Reaction score
Handicap
Front - 0
Driver Specs:
TaylorMade r5 Dual N
46' long, Fujikera Fit on e360 in Stiff
I hit the ball in a mid launch angle.
I usually hit the ball in the 200-240 yard range, and I hit a slight draw. I usually make great contact right in the middle of the face.
My swing (as I have been told) is a weird combination of John Daly and Jack Nickleson.
I have to grip down 4 inches or more on the shaft, so should I cut it down a few inches, or should I just leave it be and hope it will be good in a few years?
Thanks

4 inches or more onto the shaft? Are you still holding grip or are your hands now onto the shaft?

If you're gripping 4 inches down onto the shaft I would go cut it down 2.5 or so at least today. If you think you will grow and still play that driver, don't cut it all down but at least cut some off. I think there's negative consequences by playing a driver that long if it's too long for you.

I'd look into backweighting the club if you vut it down, to adjust for the change in swingweight.

What ever you're comfortable with

When I am having trouble off the tee I'll grip down an inch or so to try and gain back some control. Most standard driver grips are 11" or so. Gripping down 4" is a lot, I'd look at shortening the shaft 2" or so and adjust the weight accordingly.

I think you will benefit more by playing 3 wood with 13 or 14* loft.

especially if you are choking down 4 inches. That is if you are comfortable playing 3 wood off the tee. You will have more control, and don't think you will suffer too much on the distance, if you make the same swing. And maybe just sell the driver, if 3 wood works out.

do you play 3 wood? If so, what is the length on that wood?

I agree that maybe a 3 wood would be best or even get a 3 wood shaft put into the driver head. Cutting a shaft 2 inches or more will dramatically change the characteristics of the club.

Cutting down that much would drastically change the swing weight. I forget the formula but it will be a lot to make up. You might not like the end result. What was mentioned previously is good advice.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Back