My Golf Swing Journey

Scooby555

Reaction score
Starting this to keep track of where i've been and where I'm headed.
Been hitting balls for 2 months now and making solid progress.
I need to edit a bunch of video and get it posted. I have some from very early on and need to film some from now.
Irons are S&Tish and Driver is SPSish.

I only have 2 swing thoughts. Keep left arm straight and slllooooowwwww during the take back. The rest just happens. I swing the club and the ball just gets in the way.

My goals for the near future are to continue making solid contact with the ball and improve my aiming. I don't care about working the ball and probably won't for a long time. Hitting a fade or draw before I can accurately strike the ball doesn't make sense to me. Working on distance control and aiming seem more important.

1st course I played about 1 month ago was rated 68/118 and I shot a 117. 2nd course was rated 70.5/126 and I shot a 136. I really gave up after the 5th mentally and was done caring after the 9th. My fault for not staying in it mentally. Playing again on Sunday November 15 at a 3rd course that is rated at 66.9/113. Ratings are from the white tees.

Shot a 106 yesterday, so improving a good deal. Had a stretch that was horrible though that kinda killed my round on the front 9. Need to get back to the range for more practice once my hand heals a little more.

I know I keep promising to post new video and haven't yet. I did get some a week or two ago and haven't edited it. I watched it and was pretty bummed out. I've been working on a few things and I am playing better and making solid contact more often BUT it is really forced and uncomfortable.

I was watching the Pro at the range, practice on Monday and something clicked. He was just taking the club back and stopping at quarter and half. He was looking at his club head the entire and then he would reset and hit the ball.

I did the same thing Tuesday afternoon in the office. Didn't hit anything but just watched my club head. Club head is fine but found out why I feel so stiff and bound up when swinging. With the bad back, left knee, planter fasciitis, and right arm issues I am currently battling, I am not able to rotate properly. I am only 47 but my body feels much older LOL

Made a small change by bending my left arm slightly and it takes some pressure off of some injured parts. It allows the club to come back to almost a full swing without having to rotate the shoulders anymore than I already do. Immediately hit the ball cleaner and with more club head speed. Ball went higher and further than it has been for the last few weeks.

I had the pro take a look and although not what he'd normally teach, he says if it feels comfortable and isn't causing any issues with my current list of injuries, that we can work with it. Some of the injuries like the back are just going to be something I deal with. Not getting any back surgery unless I really have to. We will work with what I can do and work around what I can't. I must remain active to keep the heart as healthy as possible after last years quadruple bypass surgery. Golf isn't the only thing I do but I really enjoy hitting golf balls along with playing tennis. Anything to keep me out of a boring gym LOL

I feel more confident about my swing and not so embarrassed about it now. I'll get some video soon and post it. I really hit it much better than the ~2.5 months ago I started.

I know I keep promising to post new video and haven't yet. I did get some a week or two ago and haven't edited it. I watched it and was pretty bummed out. I've been working on a few things and I am playing better and making solid contact more often BUT it is really forced and uncomfortable.

I was watching the Pro at the range, practice on Monday and something clicked. He was just taking the club back and stopping at quarter and half. He was looking at his club head the entire and then he would reset and hit the ball.

I did the same thing Tuesday afternoon in the office. Didn't hit anything but just watched my club head. Club head is fine but found out why I feel so stiff and bound up when swinging. With the bad back, left knee, planter fasciitis, and right arm issues I am currently battling, I am not able to rotate properly. I am only 47 but my body feels much older LOL

Made a small change by bending my left arm slightly and it takes some pressure off of some injured parts. It allows the club to come back to almost a full swing without having to rotate the shoulders anymore than I already do. Immediately hit the ball cleaner and with more club head speed. Ball went higher and further than it has been for the last few weeks.

I had the pro take a look and although not what he'd normally teach, he says if it feels comfortable and isn't causing any issues with my current list of injuries, that we can work with it. Some of the injuries like the back are just going to be something I deal with. Not getting any back surgery unless I really have to. We will work with what I can do and work around what I can't. I must remain active to keep the heart as healthy as possible after last years quadruple bypass surgery. Golf isn't the only thing I do but I really enjoy hitting golf balls along with playing tennis. Anything to keep me out of a boring gym LOL

I feel more confident about my swing and not so embarrassed about it now. I'll get some video soon and post it. I really hit it much better than the ~2.5 months ago I started.
Just one point about the "check swing". I do the same check swing which might look like I'm checking the toe position but I'm actually checking rotation AND connection, meaning the butt end of the club is staying in front of my shirt buttons. I would watch out for trying to complete the backswing to parallel by using your arms because, at least for me, my shoulders have too much of a head start on the downswing.

Played a round last weekend with fellow THP member @Jaoffo The fairway finder. A very enjoyable experience.
I had some good shots and some bad ones.
I did figure out that I do not take enough time for each shot. I feel everyone is waiting on me and I don't take my time. When I calm down and relax and take my time, I play much better.

Played again on Tuesday at a different course and got 3 pars on the front 9. In 5 rounds of golf that is the most pars so far. The other 3 rounds combined for 2 pars total. I feel I am improving. Playing today also. I'll update later.

Last edited:
Played a round last weekend with fellow THP member @Jaoffo The fairway finder. A very enjoyable experience.
I had some good shots and some bad ones.
I did figure out that I do not take enough time for each shot. I feel everyone is waiting on me and I don't take my time. When I calm down and relax and take my time, I play much better.

Played again on Tuesday at a different course and got 3 pars on the front 9. In 5 rounds of golf that is the most pars so far. The other 3 rounds combined for 2 pars total. I feel I am improving. Playing today also. I'll update later.
This is a kinda cheeky but interesting video about the different levels of golf. 891k views for which I was surprised at the amount of interest.

So yesterdays round was horrible. I could have shoved the ball up my rearend and farted it down the fairway better than I hit it.
NOT the same swing i've been hitting so well at the range.

Got up this morning and hit the range. Swing is back and striking the ball well. WTF????

I have been able to find differences between course yesterday and range today.

My tempo changes at the course and my take away becomes super fast although the practice swing is always great.
My take away is at different angles and the swing is way over the top at the course.
My swing thoughts are also much different at the course and hinder a good swing.

I was super frustrated and unhappy but now that i've had time to analyze the differences between yesterday and today, I am feeling pretty well.
Going from the range to course has been more challenging than I anticipated but I am happy with my progress today and am looking forward to getting to the course again soon to try out some stuff.

One of the good things about being new to something is that I don't have years of habit to break.
I've analyzed my swing and really found some issues that are preventing me from going from the range to the course.
I have now over the course of the last several days changed things up.
Feet are now slightly different with my left foot at an angle.
Take back thoughts have changed from keeping arm straight to keeping my hands "inside". Not sure how to describe it better? Not letting my hands drift away from my body..
I am now getting a bit more shoulder turn and the feet and slightly bent knees are helping with hip rotation. Hitting it straighter and further than ever.

Going to keep practicing every day after work, weather permitting till I can get back on the course to see if the changes can be brought to the course.

One of the good things about being new to something is that I don't have years of habit to break.
I've analyzed my swing and really found some issues that are preventing me from going from the range to the course.
I have now over the course of the last several days changed things up.
Feet are now slightly different with my left foot at an angle.
Take back thoughts have changed from keeping arm straight to keeping my hands "inside". Not sure how to describe it better? Not letting my hands drift away from my body..
I am now getting a bit more shoulder turn and the feet and slightly bent knees are helping with hip rotation. Hitting it straighter and further than ever.

Going to keep practicing every day after work, weather permitting till I can get back on the course to see if the changes can be brought to the course.
If you're new, how are you analyzing your swing and how do you know how to fix it?

So yesterdays round was horrible. I could have shoved the ball up my rearend and farted it down the fairway better than I hit it.
NOT the same swing i've been hitting so well at the range.

Got up this morning and hit the range. Swing is back and striking the ball well. WTF????

I have been able to find differences between course yesterday and range today.

My tempo changes at the course and my take away becomes super fast although the practice swing is always great.
My take away is at different angles and the swing is way over the top at the course.
My swing thoughts are also much different at the course and hinder a good swing.

I was super frustrated and unhappy but now that i've had time to analyze the differences between yesterday and today, I am feeling pretty well.
Going from the range to course has been more challenging than I anticipated but I am happy with my progress today and am looking forward to getting to the course again soon to try out some stuff.
Ahhh, the dreaded great practice swing vs. the REAL swing! Not trusting the practice swing when "it counts". Somebody can teach you the swing until the cows come home on the range, but if your brain "sees red" once the ball is in front of the club not a lot will change. IMO this is the most difficult problem to overcome. What has worked for me over the years is two things. First, I "allow" myself to hit bad shots. No matter the shot, I would address the ball and think or say out loud, "it's OK if this isn't a great shot". I would then take a few deep breadths and picture being on the range.

The next was to "over-speed" my practice swings, or swing at nearly 100% speed.....then revert back to 70-80% speed on my "normal" swing. I found that by taking a slower-than-real-speed practice swings my brain kept saying "OK, you have to do this much faster now!" which created needless anxiety.

If you're new, how are you analyzing your swing and how do you know how to fix it?
I do have a little bit of athletic ability. Still play tennis at a pretty decent level. Have decent control over my body and a little knowledge about how it works. Good footwork still.

I do have a host of injuries to deal with but still able to think about the swing and do take video. I don't know how to fix anything but am figuring out how to get the results I want.

I really think most people way overthink hitting a golf ball. It can be pretty simple if you want it to be.

PLUS, the local pro has kinda taken me under his wing and isn't letting me do anything really dumb. This is prolly most important LOL
He lets me try to figure things out on my own and keeps an eye on me making sure things stay on track and bad habits aren't being formed.

Ahhh, the dreaded great practice swing vs. the REAL swing! Not trusting the practice swing when "it counts". Somebody can teach you the swing until the cows come home on the range, but if your brain "sees red" once the ball is in front of the club not a lot will change. IMO this is the most difficult problem to overcome. What has worked for me over the years is two things. First, I "allow" myself to hit bad shots. No matter the shot, I would address the ball and think or say out loud, "it's OK if this isn't a great shot". I would then take a few deep breadths and picture being on the range.

The next was to "over-speed" my practice swings, or swing at nearly 100% speed.....then revert back to 70-80% speed on my "normal" swing. I found that by taking a slower-than-real-speed practice swings my brain kept saying "OK, you have to do this much faster now!" which created needless anxiety.

Yes, I have experienced both of those things. Trying really hard to improve both areas.

The other mental issue I have is the same as when I began tennis. Hit some good shots and things are going well until you hit a really bad shot. Then another. It becomes trying not to screw up instead of trying to do what you are supposed to. The more I try not to screw up the shot, the worse the shot is. Then try even harder on the next one to not mess and it is more screwed and it keeps snowballing.

Trying to remember I am just coming up on 3 months of hitting balls and not getting too down on myself. Like Yogi said, this game is 90 percent mental and the other half is physical.

Sounds like you are really making progress....love reading along

Yes, I have experienced both of those things. Trying really hard to improve both areas.

The other mental issue I have is the same as when I began tennis. Hit some good shots and things are going well until you hit a really bad shot. Then another. It becomes trying not to screw up instead of trying to do what you are supposed to. The more I try not to screw up the shot, the worse the shot is. Then try even harder on the next one to not mess and it is more screwed and it keeps snowballing.

Trying to remember I am just coming up on 3 months of hitting balls and not getting too down on myself. Like Yogi said, this game is 90 percent mental and the other half is physical.
"Like Yogi said, this game is 90 percent mental and the other half is physical."

And practice swings vs. real swings is like "Deja vu all over again". And also keep in mind that in golf, whether playing or practicing....."when you're going through hell, keep going".

I played on Sunday. New personal best of 102. Getting closer to my goal of breaking 100. I finally hit the ball much much better at the course. Similar to hitting at the range. Made bad shots but didn't let it bother me and was able to recover mentally instead of just getting worse and worse. Happy with the mental progress.

Swing isn't consistent and the distances really aren't consistent but considering i've been hitting for 3 months now, I am happy so far.
It's hard to build a yardage book when the swing is still evolving. I tend to choose less club than I need as the courses I've played really punish missing long. 3 yards over the green can be water or very thick brush that you can't get into on a good number of holes. I'd rather be short than take a penalty.

I did manage to play the round with 1 ball, so really happy about that. It's a bit scuffed from a cart path or two but I still it have in my bag. WOOHOO
Big improvement from the 136 I shot awhile back and the dozen balls I lost that day.

I played on Sunday. New personal best of 102. Getting closer to my goal of breaking 100. I finally hit the ball much much better at the course. Similar to hitting at the range. Made bad shots but didn't let it bother me and was able to recover mentally instead of just getting worse and worse. Happy with the mental progress.

Swing isn't consistent and the distances really aren't consistent but considering i've been hitting for 3 months now, I am happy so far.
It's hard to build a yardage book when the swing is still evolving. I tend to choose less club than I need as the courses I've played really punish missing long. 3 yards over the green can be water or very thick brush that you can't get into on a good number of holes. I'd rather be short than take a penalty.

I did manage to play the round with 1 ball, so really happy about that. It's a bit scuffed from a cart path or two but I still it have in my bag. WOOHOO
Big improvement from the 136 I shot awhile back and the dozen balls I lost that day.
Sounds like you're employing some good course management(y) Have you ever mapped-out the distances of the par 4's? I ask because I know a guy who broke 100 by doing the following, and it had nothing to do with swinging "better". For example....

#1 360 yard par 4. Let's assume you hit a 7 iron 150 using a tee and 140 from the fairway. Thus your 3rd shot would be 70 yards...very manageable and you're far more likely to be in the fairway and have a better chance to avoid greenside bunkers/rough, etc. Not always, but statistically more likely. If you have a hybrid that you can hit 175 and a 140 7 iron from the fairway that's even better for a 45 yard approach. Some of this depends upon the yardage of the tees you're playing. If you're playing up tees with an average of 330 yard par 4's then you can dial down a bit. The actual good thing is you'll get really comfortable with your hybrids and irons. If you have a fairly wide open fairway then of course use the driver or 3W off the tee. The most important thing is to KNOW your misses and make sure you line-up appropriately on every shot.

I also offer this because this is how I went from 120+ to low 90's in one summer.

Sounds like you're employing some good course management(y) Have you ever mapped-out the distances of the par 4's? I ask because I know a guy who broke 100 by doing the following, and it had nothing to do with swinging "better". For example....

#1 360 yard par 4. Let's assume you hit a 7 iron 150 using a tee and 140 from the fairway. Thus your 3rd shot would be 70 yards...very manageable and you're far more likely to be in the fairway and have a better chance to avoid greenside bunkers/rough, etc. Not always, but statistically more likely. If you have a hybrid that you can hit 175 and a 140 7 iron from the fairway that's even better for a 45 yard approach. Some of this depends upon the yardage of the tees you're playing. If you're playing up tees with an average of 330 yard par 4's then you can dial down a bit. The actual good thing is you'll get really comfortable with your hybrids and irons. If you have a fairly wide open fairway then of course use the driver or 3W off the tee. The most important thing is to KNOW your misses and make sure you line-up appropriately on every shot.

I also offer this because this is how I went from 120+ to low 90's in one summer.

Interesting you say this. The guy I played with on Sunday asked me on a short 345 yard par 4 why I was giving up the advantage of a driver when I pulled out my 2 hybrid to tee off with. I answered that if I hit the hybrid well it will go 220ish leaving me a nice approach straight ahead.

The driver goes much further but also has a wicked slice. I could be 50 yards closer but also 70 yards off to the right(not any closer really) which leaves me with a tougher approach over a bunker. I ended up smoking the hybrid right about 220ish. Hit the approach very well about 20 yards short. I am thinking par at this point but I played the duff and run and it duffed but didn't run LOL. I took a bogey and was very happy with that. Could have been better but if I played driver, it could've been worse also.

Disclaimer...that was the best I hit a hybrid all day.

Interesting you say this. The guy I played with on Sunday asked me on a short 345 yard par 4 why I was giving up the advantage of a driver when I pulled out my 2 hybrid to tee off with. I answered that if I hit the hybrid well it will go 220ish leaving me a nice approach straight ahead.

The driver goes much further but also has a wicked slice. I could be 50 yards closer but also 70 yards off to the right(not any closer really) which leaves me with a tougher approach over a bunker. I ended up smoking the hybrid right about 220ish. Hit the approach very well about 20 yards short. I am thinking par at this point but I played the duff and run and it duffed but didn't run LOL. I took a bogey and was very happy with that. Could have been better but if I played driver, it could've been worse also.

Disclaimer...that was the best I hit a hybrid all day.
Sometimes those hybrids have a mind of their own and go berserk! A lot of guys want others to hit driver because they don't employ course management, or they can stay in the fairway which is great for them, or they want you to suffer along with them! Lol. The problem is you're the one in the rough with a 5% chance shot of getting near the green, let alone on. What's interesting is I play with guys who hit long drives or 440-ish par 4's, leaving 140-ish to the green, and then they have a tough time hitting the green, or if they do they're often left with very long and tricky putts that can easily become 3 putts. On those same holes I play my game of driver, then even though I have 190 or so to the green, I'll hit a punch PW then a 56* or 60* and get much closer to the pin than them. So it's not uncommon for their advantage to evaporate on many holes. Par 5's and par 3's aren't as much of a concern, so it's really only about 10 holes.

I learned course management from OMP on the GolfMates youtube channel. 80 year old that plays amazing and can occasionally still get a high 70. I think he is around an 11 handicap. He can't hit his driver over 200 yards but pars a lot of holes. They do some videos where he plays and explains every shot he takes and why he takes it.

It's a lot like you are saying. Play smart, avoid danger, give myself the best chance with each shot to get where I need to be to score my best. I am getting the strategy. The execution on the other....gonna take a bit for that part.

The mental game is getting better also. You are right about allowing myself to hit crappy shots. I suck and am gonna hit really bad shots. I don't have to like it but have to accept it and move on.

I learned course management from OMP on the GolfMates youtube channel. 80 year old that plays amazing and can occasionally still get a high 70. I think he is around an 11 handicap. He can't hit his driver over 200 yards but pars a lot of holes. They do some videos where he plays and explains every shot he takes and why he takes it.

It's a lot like you are saying. Play smart, avoid danger, give myself the best chance with each shot to get where I need to be to score my best. I am getting the strategy. The execution on the other....gonna take a bit for that part.

The mental game is getting better also. You are right about allowing myself to hit crappy shots. I suck and am gonna hit really bad shots. I don't have to like it but have to accept it and move on.
I was forced into course management yesterday after slipping and hitting a thin drive about 180 yards on a 380 yard par 4, leaving 200 yards to an elevated green with seriously horrible bunkers with 6-8 foot depths guarding the front, thus requiring at least a 185 yard all-carry shot for which I predicted I had about a 20% chance of success. So I hit a PW about 120, leaving an 80 yard approach. But before hitting that shot I drove the cart up to around 80 yards and found the best angle to the green....then I went back to hit the shot. So not only did I leave myself in 80 yard shot, but I also knew where to hit the shot for the highest probability of success. On top of that the pin placement was middle and I knew the best shot was below the pin to leave a more uphill putt. Going longer would have required a much faster down hill putt which had a higher probability of a 3 putt.

It's actually kinda fun playing with some folks for skins because I know they'll "go for it" on many shots they shouldn't and end-up with tough 3rd shots. It's like the tortoise and the hare on the golf course.

You guys might like this....sometimes we get caught-up in too many "standards" which can hamper some folks who have natural tendencies.

GLM...I agree with the video but......

There are a few things that if you work on as a newbie that makes the learning curve not as steep.

RantS coming soon......

Back