My WITB and why I'm insane

JohnnyCallaway

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I’m writing this entry more to work out something in my head FYI. However, you will get a glimpse into just how crazy I am.

The best and worst thing about a job in the Golf industry is access to toys….

On the one hand, it’s great!! You have the opportunity to test all the new stuff (long before any else sees it) and have access to pretty much anything you want. On the other hand, it can be f🤷🏻‍♂️🙋🏻‍♂️king impossible to actually play well.

With every new club comes different ideas, weights, CG’s, fitting techniques, different me’s etc. It’s hard to do anything well if the variables change on a daily basis. I used to vow up and down that “this is the set-up, I’m fully cooked” followed by “oh sure I’d love to try those new irons, or driver or whatever.” Good work to get if you wanna have a ton of gear and suck while doing it.

When I was at WRX not only was I granted the chance to try it all but to make it even better, I had the best fitters in the world dialing me in. At the tail end of my time at WRX, I had a set that I was in “LOVE” with. My bag was a mix of 4 or 5 different manufacturers, all sticks made and fitted by my friends and I was happy. It was a gearhead’s dream. But my game was AWFUL. I had too many options, too little time to practice and on top of it all I’m a recovering alcoholic (7+ years Sober) and my brain is like a cracked-out hamster on a wheel running in the dark with Gwar playing in the background.

• funny-pictures-this-wheel-is-spinning-too-fast.jpg
  • 54d3ffe569499_-_gwar-n8hu4k.jpg
The point is I’m nuts. It was in no way an ecosystem for improvement. My golf life went backward. My handicap went from 1 to 6. It wasn’t the gear, it was pure overstimulation for a person who wakes up overstimulated.

THEN I JOIN CALLAWAY

To be honest I didn’t hit a ton of Callaway gear when I was at WRX. I LOVED the GBB Epic Sub Zero driver but never got my hands on one. Rogue and Epic Flash were great but I didn’t love the sound and Mavrik was a victim to Covid. I just didn’t have a chance to dig in on that one. If I’m getting REALLY honest the main reason was with the constant launches year to year I never truly got to play consistently with any of my clubs. Part of that gig was trying everything so you could actually speak to it honestly. That was kind of the whole point of the job.

It got to the point of lunacy and every chance I did have to dig in on Callaway product, I was already at a point where one more club would have not only hurt my game but put my fiance over the top. I had clubs and boxes everywhere 🤷🏻‍♂️. It was becoming a home harmony issue 😩

WHAT I DO...

When I look into new clubs I DIG in. I make notes on my phone, play out gapping scenarios research head weights all the way to becoming emotionally attached before I even order them. I have countless notes on my phone of bag scenarios that never happened, although a good number of them did. When I was a kid my Mom used to find spec sheets all over the place with dream sets built up from my mind. Lofts/Lies/Shafts/Gapping/Pros/Cons/To-do lists etc. I recently went into an old eBay account from 2015 and my watch list was 200 deep.

After all that madness and an obvious problem with over stimulation, my biggest fear of joining Callaway was not being able to partake in the craziness. Even my buddies were like, “you have always been a free agent type guy, how you gonna play just one brand? “

How indeed I ask…..how indeed…

HOWEVER!!!!!

Like anything else, fear and insanity is merely opportunity to grow…or something like that.

So I step into my new equipment life with Callaway. Yes as an employee but more importantly as a user (head to toe, 14 clubs, and a ball). It’s a lot to lay on a gear head…

...that's a pretty big matzo ball hanging out there.
The funny thing is, it’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me. Whether I got lucky with a good release year or the “one company” thing is just better, nonetheless, my game hasn’t been this good in 5+ years. I haven’t even had a fitting yet!! I’m eyeballing the whole thing and every club in my bag just works.

My gear junky shows up even now, I’m surrounded by the GlenGary clubs on a daily basis and I have the chance to build up whatever I want, whenever I want. It’s tempting but I don’t engage, well, that’s not 100% true, my Driver/3-wood/5-wood are SUPER Tour Sauce but they work so there. So I slipped a bit 🤷🏻‍♂️

The reason I’m divulging this babble is the Callaway lineup has impressed the living 💩 out of me. I’m sure this narrative could play out at any of the big companies but there is something special about these sticks I have in the bag. This company. Remember I’ve tried it all, literally. The more I get to know Callaway designs their clubs, the more I know that as a golfer I got into a REALLY good situation.

There hasn’t been that awkward lead-in time with my clubs, the Driver came out of the gate swinging and hasn’t let me down, the irons may be the best set I’ve had since my X-12/962B combo and the ball….MY GOD the ball is unbelievable. I thought it was awesome before I got hired for the record. I have IG posts and an article from WRX to prove it.

Here is my WITB:

DRIVER: Epic Speed 💎💎💎 (8.5, 8GF, 12GB)
Shaft: MCA Tensei 1K 60TX “Patriot” (45.25 inches, Tipped 1, D4)

3-wood: Epic Speed 💎💎💎 ADJ (15@14.5, 12GF, 8GB)
Shaft: MCA Tensei 1K 70TX (42.75 inches, Tipped 1.5, D4)

5-wood: Epic Speed 💎💎💎T (18@18.5)
Shaft: MCA Kai’li White Proto 80TX (41.75 inches, Tipped 2, D4)

IRONS: Apex ’21 (4-PW)
Shafts: True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 (Soft stepped 1X)
Lofts: 21.5, 25, 28, 32.5, 36.5, 40.5, 45
Std Lie, Std Length, All Irons D3

WEDGES: Jaws MD5 Raw (50/10S, 54/08C) PM Grind (60/10 w/ Big Pon Grind)
Shafts: True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 (Onyx)

PUTTER: Toulon Las Vegas w/ DBL Bend

BALL: Chrome Soft *X

GRIPS: Golf Pride BCT 58R Logo Down 1+1

GLOVE: Tour Authentic

I know we aren’t splitting the atom or curing cancer here, but most gear heads will understand the struggle. When I got sober it was the structure and me buying into the process that saved my life. In a weird way, the same thing happened here. I’ve taken a big swig of the Callaway Kool-Aid..it’s fu$$ing delicious.

I never really understood the full bag contracts, they always seemed a little too structured for me. I understand now. When you join a company like Callaway you become a part of a harmonious jazz band and the finely tuned ones tend to make sweet music. That was a dumb analogy but you see where I was going😂 Every product they make is based on the Callaway philosophy and there is something to be said for committing to the whole thing as opposed to just one or two things.

Like the people I work with, the Callaway equipment just feels like home to me. I don’t think my 14 friends should have any worry about getting kicked to the curb, at least until the next launch. Gotta have the new/new always right?

Screen-Shot-2021-07-07-at-4.02.47-PM-807x1024.png

So what did we learn here? Well, for me it’s taking the time to understand things. Getting to know your clubs and the company that makes them is a weird way of getting to know yourself. What makes you tick? How do you grow to trust something that will help you play well? It’s all extremely important to good golf which at the end of the day is all I care about for you and me.

Oh and BTW these irons I am so committed to? The Apex ’21?
I just ordered a set of TCB’s “just to test” I have a sickness. Thanks a lot Jon Rahm.

That is all. LFG

JDub

Nice WITB, congrats on the 7+ yrs

Great post. I’ve been enamored with Callaway ever since being exposed to them back in 2015 and getting a look at how they ran things both from a R&D perspective but also just how passionate everyone there was about the game of golf. Just like us average Joes. Good stuff across the board.

Friends and Family discount? Just asking...for a friend. 😊

Awesome! Congrats on appreciating -- and trying to fully understand -- the things that are unique to you and your life/golf journey. Great post.

Congrats on the 7+ years! It’s awesome to hear how quickly you’ve become comfortable with the new sticks and how they’ve elevated your game!

Your 3 & 5 woods just put my FOMO into overdrive lol. I can’t stop longing for that which I cannot have haha. Love the look of them, hate that I can’t have them. But, that bag looks sick. Surprised with the Apex irons. Not surprised that they’re great and ended up in the bag. But, more or less thought you’d be Apex Pro based on what I’ve read. Or the TCB. But, no doubt the standard Apex is likely point and shoot.

Seriously though. That bag is amazing.

Edit because I just noticed that 5 wood shaft 😳😳😳 the top end of the bag is most definitely spicy. Love it.

Jeez I thought I was overthinking it by going with a combo set this year. I am also a happy Callaway A15er after learning what a great company they are at the 2019 Grandaddy. Its nice to get to know you a little better from your post's.

I’m writing this entry more to work out something in my head FYI. However, you will get a glimpse into just how crazy I am.

On the one hand, it’s great!! You have the opportunity to test all the new stuff (long before any else sees it) and have access to pretty much anything you want. On the other hand, it can be f🤷🏻‍♂️🙋🏻‍♂️king impossible to actually play well.

With every new club comes different ideas, weights, CG’s, fitting techniques, different me’s etc. It’s hard to do anything well if the variables change on a daily basis. I used to vow up and down that “this is the set-up, I’m fully cooked” followed by “oh sure I’d love to try those new irons, or driver or whatever.” Good work to get if you wanna have a ton of gear and suck while doing it.

When I was at WRX not only was I granted the chance to try it all but to make it even better, I had the best fitters in the world dialing me in. At the tail end of my time at WRX, I had a set that I was in “LOVE” with. My bag was a mix of 4 or 5 different manufacturers, all sticks made and fitted by my friends and I was happy. It was a gearhead’s dream. But my game was AWFUL. I had too many options, too little time to practice and on top of it all I’m a recovering alcoholic (7+ years Sober) and my brain is like a cracked-out hamster on a wheel running in the dark with Gwar playing in the background.

The point is I’m nuts. It was in no way an ecosystem for improvement. My golf life went backward. My handicap went from 1 to 6. It wasn’t the gear, it was pure overstimulation for a person who wakes up overstimulated.

THEN I JOIN CALLAWAY

To be honest I didn’t hit a ton of Callaway gear when I was at WRX. I LOVED the GBB Epic Sub Zero driver but never got my hands on one. Rogue and Epic Flash were great but I didn’t love the sound and Mavrik was a victim to Covid. I just didn’t have a chance to dig in on that one. If I’m getting REALLY honest the main reason was with the constant launches year to year I never truly got to play consistently with any of my clubs. Part of that gig was trying everything so you could actually speak to it honestly. That was kind of the whole point of the job.

It got to the point of lunacy and every chance I did have to dig in on Callaway product, I was already at a point where one more club would have not only hurt my game but put my fiance over the top. I had clubs and boxes everywhere 🤷🏻‍♂️. It was becoming a home harmony issue 😩

WHAT I DO...

When I look into new clubs I DIG in. I make notes on my phone, play out gapping scenarios research head weights all the way to becoming emotionally attached before I even order them. I have countless notes on my phone of bag scenarios that never happened, although a good number of them did. When I was a kid my Mom used to find spec sheets all over the place with dream sets built up from my mind. Lofts/Lies/Shafts/Gapping/Pros/Cons/To-do lists etc. I recently went into an old eBay account from 2015 and my watch list was 200 deep.

After all that madness and an obvious problem with over stimulation, my biggest fear of joining Callaway was not being able to partake in the craziness. Even my buddies were like, “you have always been a free agent type guy, how you gonna play just one brand? “

HOWEVER!!!!!

Like anything else, fear and insanity is merely opportunity to grow…or something like that.

So I step into my new equipment life with Callaway. Yes as an employee but more importantly as a user (head to toe, 14 clubs, and a ball). It’s a lot to lay on a gear head…

...that's a pretty big matzo ball hanging out there.'s a pretty big matzo ball hanging out there.
The funny thing is, it’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me. Whether I got lucky with a good release year or the “one company” thing is just better, nonetheless, my game hasn’t been this good in 5+ years. I haven’t even had a fitting yet!! I’m eyeballing the whole thing and every club in my bag just works.

My gear junky shows up even now, I’m surrounded by the GlenGary clubs on a daily basis and I have the chance to build up whatever I want, whenever I want. It’s tempting but I don’t engage, well, that’s not 100% true, my Driver/3-wood/5-wood are SUPER Tour Sauce but they work so there. So I slipped a bit 🤷🏻‍♂️

The reason I’m divulging this babble is the Callaway lineup has impressed the living 💩 out of me. I’m sure this narrative could play out at any of the big companies but there is something special about these sticks I have in the bag. This company. Remember I’ve tried it all, literally. The more I get to know Callaway designs their clubs, the more I know that as a golfer I got into a REALLY good situation.

There hasn’t been that awkward lead-in time with my clubs, the Driver came out of the gate swinging and hasn’t let me down, the irons may be the best set I’ve had since my X-12/962B combo and the ball….MY GOD the ball is unbelievable. I thought it was awesome before I got hired for the record. I have IG posts and an article from WRX to prove it.

Here is my WITB:

I know we aren’t splitting the atom or curing cancer here, but most gear heads will understand the struggle. When I got sober it was the structure and me buying into the process that saved my life. In a weird way, the same thing happened here. I’ve taken a big swig of the Callaway Kool-Aid..it’s fu$$ing delicious.

I never really understood the full bag contracts, they always seemed a little too structured for me. I understand now. When you join a company like Callaway you become a part of a harmonious jazz band and the finely tuned ones tend to make sweet music. That was a dumb analogy but you see where I was going😂 Every product they make is based on the Callaway philosophy and there is something to be said for committing to the whole thing as opposed to just one or two things.

Like the people I work with, the Callaway equipment just feels like home to me. I don’t think my 14 friends should have any worry about getting kicked to the curb, at least until the next launch. Gotta have the new/new always right?

So what did we learn here? Well, for me it’s taking the time to understand things. Getting to know your clubs and the company that makes them is a weird way of getting to know yourself. What makes you tick? How do you grow to trust something that will help you play well? It’s all extremely important to good golf which at the end of the day is all I care about for you and me.

I just ordered a set of TCB’s “just to test” I have a sickness. Thanks a lot Jon Rahm.

That is all. LFG

JDub
Awesome thought process...
My Bag is full of Callaway goodness too...

E0D189B1-1CA2-4017-ADE1-4004ABDF9212.jpeg
35EF70CC-7F71-4531-B3D1-D9D8A3881180.jpeg
Except for my wedges... But I have a set of PM Grind wedges, that I’m toying with...

I can’t imagine having access to equipment like you do. I’d be as crazy as a sprayed roach.

Congratulations on the 7+ years of your journey. Fellow traveler here.

First off, congrats on the 7+ years! That's a great looking bag and it's fun to read your insights and thought process involved in it. I'm sure I'd be just as over the top if I had such easy access to all the goodies you do, my bag might be in a constant state of flux! Except for the PM Grind - I'm not sure I could ever take that club out of my bag for any other wedge. It's more than earned its spot and it sleeps well at night knowing there's no way it's going anywhere. :LOL:

My bag is Callaway top to bottom as well, I was a Ping guy for 10+ years until I demo'ed the Mavriks last year and ended up going all in. If I didn't love the Mavs so much, I'd have a set of Apex 21s in the bag right now. Part of it is Callaway's R&D and the technology that goes into the clubs, part of it is the best customer service in the industry, and in all honesty, part of it is the engagement here on THP and putting on the Grandaddy and other events. I've never been a part of the Grandaddy, but I've followed along and watched the awesomeness every year and it's hard not to love a "dream event" like that and the company behind it!

Awesome post, and congratulations on 7+.

Callaway is really putting out some great clubs, that’s for sure! Something for everyone.

Great post and insight there. Love seeing that. Heck of a nice looking bag there. I am really intrigued by the new Callaway lineup. Need to get a chance to hit them one of these days.

THEN I JOIN CALLAWAY

WHAT I DO...

HOWEVER!!!!!

...that's a pretty big matzo ball hanging out there.'s a pretty big matzo ball hanging out there.

Here is my WITB:

That is all. LFG

JDub
@JohnnyCallaway i think you might be my spirit animal! 🤯😂🤷‍♂️ And congrats on the sobriety!

Enjoyed the read.
Callaway is a brand that I inherently trust to make great equipment, and the new CSx is ALIVE!

Great read. Congrats on the 7 years. That is more important than everything.

If you don’t mind why the Apex vs the Apex Pro? I have a set of Apex 19s and am struggling with a left miss vs another set of irons I have but the shafts are dramatically different. I know the Apex have more offset and I feel like sometimes I get them aimed left. Although that might just be in my mind. I love the feel and distance with the Apex I have but they are out of the bag right now because I feel like I can’t trust them. I am trying to decide if it is worth trying different shafts in them or starting fresh next season.

Alright, was hoping someone else would as but what's the Big Pon Grind and do I need it?

Great post! cool setup but the real sweetness of this post is the fact of being 7+ years sober! Congrats on that because that's a huge milestone!

Awesome glipse into the @JohnnyCallaway path. The golf and gear obsession has helped save my life too. It's stangely therapeutic. haha It's a great looking bag. Those metals are hot. Thanks for sharing with us!

You know any WITB with a picture of Gwar in it is going to be awesome. Thanks for the background leading up to the great setup. Congratulations on 7+!

This post from @JohnnyCallaway is a window into the soul…. Find a job you love and never work a day in your life….. or it’s a sickness 😜

Love, love my Callaway Apex irons!

Back