Murray

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys, I need some help and all of you combined know more than any pro shop I can go into.

Right, so, I want to buy a Cleveland 588 RTG wedge, 58 degree. All of my irons are XP shafts, and so is my GW.

Cleveland don't do XP at all and the stock shaft that comes with it is apparently S100's.

I won't really be hitting full shots with this club, mainly 40 yards in, pitching, bunker shots etc.

Someone suggested that for these types of shots I should maybe go for a heavier/stiffer shaft anyway.

The guy in the store I spoke to said it might be best just to go with the stock shaft (he knows it would be a custom order for length etc anyway so it wouldn't be to clear it off the floor)

Any advice would be great!

I've used stock wegdge shafts for most of my golfing career without much issue. I have recentlly switched to KBS R shafts and they work fine, but are not much heavier than the S200's -- interestingly enough I have one wedge that has a S300 shaft in it and it feels super heavy to me and I just cannot get a good feel for it. I use my 54* and 58* for mostly chipping from 50 yards in and all around the green. I much prefer a standard weight -- I even thought the XP wedge shaft I used for a bit in a Mizzy wedge was a little heavy. See if you can find some used wedges at a shop and mess around with them to find what feels good.

I might go with the stock shaft, I think I would have prefered it to be a little stiffer that's all

Most of the time a wedge flex shaft plays stiffer to flex listed because it is so short there is not a whole lot that can transpire. I have always played my wedges with slightly stiffer shafts than my regular irons.

Cleveland don't do XP at all and the stock shaft that comes with it is apparently S100's.

I won't really be hitting full shots with this club, mainly 40 yards in, pitching, bunker shots etc.

The flex in a wedge shaft from Dynamic Gold is more than adequate. The lightweight XP shaft you have in your irons only assists in generating higher club speeds which is of no consequence on 1/2 & 3/4 shots. I wouldn't worry about too much about flex or trajectory in a club that will mostly be used for "feel" shots, there's just not enough difference other than physical weight (which is less than 10-15 grams) that you'll pick-up on...

Ive heard that Most tour guys drop down a flex anyway in their wedges anyway. I dropped down and went light shaft. Seems like I feel the head better. Def happier since the change. And no regrets from the sand either

Back