Need to work on my chipping as my wife is better at it than I am

SVonhof

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I guess this is a bit of a humble-brag on my wife. I love that she has been so consistent with her chipping and I am envious of her. Yesterday we were both about 6 feet off a green and I putted it and only got it 2/3 of the way there and then 2-putted from there. She cooly walked up with her PW in hand and chipped it to under a foot.

That wasn't the only good chip recently either. I apparently need to take lessons from her as her distance control has been amazing.

I am a better putter than she is, but when you are chipping it close, sometimes putting doesn't matter.

I do know I am breaking my wrists too much when I chip and I have started keeping them set the whole time, but it takes time to get used to it.

Bro, Just accept it and move on. Let her have the win!! :)

That’s what you get for teaching your wife to golf.

I taught my wife to play golf for our honeymoon in the Bahamas, we went to the range for like a month before going....

The second hole she ever played (back 9, the 11th at the Norman course in Exuma) she hits a iron to like 40 feet and makes the putt ...lol. We were playing with a couple of randoms

She starts jumping up and down and says "OMG does this happen a lot?"

haha

An opportunity to learn from one's spouse. That's a gift, take advantage. Make het feel great!

Bro, Just accept it and move on. Let her have the win!! :)
Oh, I accept it, but in this case, I accept it as a challenge as I have been struggling lately. I do have a few different chipping techniques she doesn't have, so I am willing to work on her style chipping (lessons from her) if she wants to learn from me as well. :LOL:

I understand. Just got back from playing 5X in Virginia, 4 of which were with my wife and her chipping is also better than mine now. I taught her everything she know but my chipping weakness is in my head and need to get my confidence back.. I am very proud of her as her chipping is not only strong close in but also 40 yards out. If she could only putt 😉.

You are a lucky man.
Me and a buddy were once paired with an elderly Husband and wife and the lady had the best short game of the group. Might have actually had the best short game I've ever seen. Not kidding.
She was up and down all day. 5 feet off the green or 20 feet off the green. She'd hit this soft little wedge to 4-8 feet and then drained everything. Absolute money. All day.

My buddy and I tried to talk her into leaving her husband and marrying one of us. She declined... Her husband was laughing and said "she does this all the time..."

Women execute, men overthink. Had a buddy who was a fly fishing instructor and said he’d rather teach 10 women than 1 man.

They’re better than us, that’s why we marry them. 😉

Putt with loft.

Determine the appropriate club and use your superior putting stroke to "putt with loft." Same move as with putter, just with a different club.

Dan Grieve - 3 Releases - great book for short game IMHO... Simple and clear..

A

Props to your wife. (y) Having a good short game is a real stroke saver. I don't understand why people don't practice it more. ANYONE can have a good short game, with no youth or athleticism required.

Either copy your Wife's chipping style, or go to You Tube and look at Paul Runyon's chip/putt stroke, where he uses his putting stroke to chip with. Good putters become better chippers using his method.

Maybe she can give you a lesson?

I struggle around the green more than usual this time of year with little to no grass under the ball and wet conditions. Your greens are not easy to deal with either.

How tf you manage to get your wife into golf is what I want to know?

I know, or believe, participation amongst women in the US is higher than the UK but 6 years giving a gentle nudge and still zero interest!

Either copy your Wife's chipping style, or go to You Tube and look at Paul Runyon's chip/putt stroke, where he uses his putting stroke to chip with. Good putters become better chippers using his method.
Did that and have been using it. Played today and saved par 3x by using it and getting within tap-in distance. I really like his methods when nothing is in the way.

How tf you manage to get your wife into golf is what I want to know?

I know, or believe, participation amongst women in the US is higher than the UK but 6 years giving a gentle nudge and still zero interest!
Not all women want to play. But here in Pinehurst, we have a LOT of them!

Soft hands, subtle wrists.

I had a terrible round chipping last week. I never seem to look at the lie and conditions. Our course's fairways were sandy with very little grass near the greens. The putt chip with a 6 or 7 iron would have worked much better than a 52 degree wedge.

Did that and have been using it. Played today and saved par 3x by using it and getting within tap-in distance. I really like his methods when nothing is in the way.
I've found, that with a little practice, that if something is in the way on shorter shots, Runyon's chip/putt method can work with shorter pitch shots too.

Back