New Fitted Clubs or Used Fitted Clubs

cnosil

Reaction score
Here is a questions I couldn't find discussed. Topics have been around discussing the merits of getting fit for clubs and the general feeling is that getting fit is important. The seems to be multiple approaches for getting fit and I would break them down as follows:

1. Buy new clubs (manufacturer): You can get fit for a particular model from a manufacturer. This would include loft, lie, length, and available shafts.

2. Buy new clubs (custom fit): You can buy off the rack and then take them to a fitter and get all the adjustments and upgrades second hand.

3. Buy used clubs: Buy a previous years model and them take them to a fitter and get all the adjustments second hand.

Like most of us I am always looking for something new and better. Current clubs were bought used and not fit for me.. I tried them, liked them, and they have been in the bag for about 9 years. Wife is now telling everyone to get me money for b-day and Christmas to buy new clubs. So I have been thinking about the best/cheapest approach to doing this.

If I look at the options above, number 1 really gets you fit into a manufacturer and what their specific options are. For example If I did the Mizuno fitting, I get fitted to Mizuno clubs and recommendations based on their custom options. May be the best option for that manufacturer, but is it the best option for me. I mention mizuno because I did their fitting back in the summer and the recommendation was off the rack clubs. Knowing that clubheads have different characteristics, this fitting may not translate to different manufacturers. Also hitting another manufacturers club may provide different results due to lie angles being several degrees different. If I take number 2, I could buy any new club off the rack and then take it to a custom fitter who can then analyze my swing (probably in more detail) than a golf specific show like GG, EW, Golfsmith, etc. Obviously this has a cost since I can't just buy heads and then I have to the cost of doing the shaft replacements and lie adjustments. Seems to be pretty pricey. As a result, I thought about buying clubs that were a couple of years old and then getting them fit. May not be brand new, but seems to be a pretty cost effective way to accomplish a "new" set of custom fit clubs since the cost of used clubs is significantly less than new.

Thinking that options 3 is probably the best if you have a true club fitter near you. Has anyone else gone through a similar thought process and what did you decide?

With technology moving as fast as ever, I like the idea of new "fitted" clubs the best, although I have bought a lot of used clubs over the years and then had them tweaked by my fitter to work the best for me.

It is also key to have all of your clubs checked every winter as loft/lie can change a little. I bought all new clubs in May this year, and the irons were bent slightly for me and I just had the entire bag checked last week, and two irons needed a little adjustment to get them back where they need to be. I do this every year at the end of the season. All my work is done at a custom golf shop where I have zero pressure to buy, unlike the box stores that are only in business to sell.

I went into our local golftec several months back and they had fitting modules (not sure if that is the proper terminology) from several manufacturers and I noticed that there were clubs from this year as well as some models from last year. I was actually just there for an intro and tour of the facility and what I gathered from the lead fitter (Daryl-not sure if proper spelling) was that during their fitting session you are fit to the best shaft and club head for your swing irregardless of manufacturer.
I am actually pondering their bag fitting this spring as I have spent most of the year trying to groove a repeatable swing and will go their as it did not seem that there was a brand preference but instead a preference on what would make your game better. If you can catch it right you could even fit fit for last years clubs and save a little money that way being as the new models are out. Not sure if you have a golftec close but that is who I would look for.

i was watching a video the other day and someone made the comment of compare this years model to lets say 2006 iron model. and the numbers were pretty much the same. i thought this was interesting id say go to a place like gg or golfsmith that'll let you hit whatever they have available in their fitting bags. see what you like and dont like, see if there are any used sets that are for sale and hit them too.

im not sure where you live but i know the golf expo is coming around in a few months and they have great deals on iron sets, you can always haggle a little bit , then go get fit for those clubs...

I understand trying to upgrade on the cheap.

But buying used iron that may or may not be able to be bent to your specs could lead you to having to sell a set and buy another- loosing money in that deal. Buying new shafts, bending, installation cost grips could put you at the same cost as new. Plus the head may not be right for you.

Buying new you can order the right shaft, grip, lie and loft for your swing plus get the latest tech and very likely be the same cost as upgrading a used set of irons.

If you keep the new set of irons as long as you have your last set the investment over the yrs will be less than 125 a yr.

I would buy new if it was me and is exactly what I will be doing this yr.

I was in a similar situation a few weeks back. I was ballooning my old irons (stiff flex shafts).

A guy at the golf shop a few towns over let me hit some stiffer shafts. My clubs were 2 degree upright lie, so the demo club head was 2 upright also.

It just so happens it was a mizuno jpx 825 or 800 head. The shafts were DG x100.

These hit like a dream. He told me that I could start looking for used Ping irons with a blue, green, or black dot lie. Then have him bend the lie to suit me (blue or green).

I really thought I wanted Pings, because Mizuno, Callaway, Cleveland hardly ever advertise the lie angle on Ebay.

While searching on Ebay, I stumbled onto a set of Mizuno jpx800 Pro irons with DG X100 shafts.

I called Mizuno to check the serial numbers, and the girl there told me they were; 2 degree upright, 1"+ length, and factory DG X100 shafts. 4 iron thru gap wedge.

Well, the set was listed as 4 thru P wedge. I bought them for $250 incl shipping.

2 weeks later the seller listed the gap wedge and I bought it , too.

Changed to larger grips, and I am ready to go.

I got some accidentally fitted clubs for a low price.

They hit great!

Watch around if you aren't in a hurry, and you can find them to your specs, or close and have them bent.

I was told by some places that you need to send in Callaway or Cleveland to have the lies adjusted.

Good luck,

Jackal

I would say new fitted clubs typically.... unless what you are fit for is at a price point you cannot handle then you would still be better with something used that is fitted correctly compared to what you currently have

Went to a local golf shop that specializes in fittings to talk about their approach. They said new or used are equivalent since we will fit the best shafts for the club and could be doing a complete rebuild with correct shafts; not necessarily a shaft that the manufacturer offers. Little concerns about being able to bend clubs to spec. I'll have to report back on the fitting session; think I will be scheduling it for sometime after the first of the year.

i was watching a video the other day and someone made the comment of compare this years model to lets say 2006 iron model. and the numbers were pretty much the same. i thought this was interesting
I'm sure someone said it but I don't believe they are correct. A year or two, okay. 7 years? My personal experience moving from that era irons to new is the technology has made big advances and the numbers were definitely not the same.

To the OP, I've only been fit after the fact for LLL. If you are going to pay to be fit why not do it in advance and let it guide your decision making? Seems like that would be a good way to go.

Went to a local golf shop that specializes in fittings to talk about their approach. They said new or used are equivalent since we will fit the best shafts for the club and could be doing a complete rebuild with correct shafts; not necessarily a shaft that the manufacturer offers. Little concerns about being able to bend clubs to spec. I'll have to report back on the fitting session; think I will be scheduling it for sometime after the first of the year.

Keep us informed on what you do and how it works out for you.

I'm sure someone said it but I don't believe they are correct. A year or two, okay. 7 years? My personal experience moving from that era irons to new is the technology has made big advances and the numbers were definitely not the same.

Honestly, I kind of believe the 7 years. Mine are older and I haven't found a significant improvement in iron technology to make me want to switch. Shafts are another story. This is the big reason I am looking for new clubs and thought about used clubs...not necessarily 6 years old, but I was thinking 3. Something like the Mizuno JPZ 800 or Ping S56 irons can be had pretty cheaply.

I went with option 3 (used), mostly because I was new to golf and not yet sure how I'd warmup to the game. Discovering my passion, I took them to be fitted, included loft, lie, length, and grips. I expect eventually I will opt for #2.

Back