New Gear...what do you do?

Campbell Toe

AKA Campbell Toe
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
A new calendar year brings new releases from all of our favorite OEM’s. Unless you have an unlimited supply of cash or have connections in the golf industry, most of us have to pick and choose what really want this year. Are you someone who will wait out a cycle to get what you want when it becomes discounted?

What are your plans for all of the awesome gear headed our way? Would love to hear your thoughts!

I tend to settle into irons for a couple of years. Generally the year over year improvements are small from my perspective for irons. Drivers I tend to get caught up in the excitement and want to change every year. I am not sure I am going to jump this year. My bag is somewhat set but I may look at some things around the edges like 7w vs hybrid and some new wedges.

I've historically waited. Need to balance club budget with greens fees somehow! Definitely tricky sometimes with some releases!!

I tend to jump at least twice on irons and more than once on drivers. I have yet to go a full year with the same stuff I started with. I am the perfect consumer as I tend to buy as I cannot wait.

if its something I really want then ill get it right away. Waiting for something to get discounted usually means whatever is left in inventory is all you can choose from (lofts, shafts, etc.) and no custom builds.

Woods wise, with companies like TaylorMade and Callaway offering 150% trade in bonus, I usually end up trading in my current driver and 3w as credit towards the newest models.

I tend to jump at least twice on irons and more than once on drivers. I have yet to go a full year with the same stuff I started with. I am the perfect consumer as I tend to buy as I cannot wait.
I haven't had 1 club stay in my bag longer than 3 months for the past 4 years lol

if its something I really want then ill get it right away. Waiting for something to get discounted usually means whatever is left in inventory is all you can choose from (lofts, shafts, etc.) and no custom builds.

Woods wise, with companies like TaylorMade and Callaway offering 150% trade in bonus, I usually end up trading in my current driver and 3w as credit towards the newest models.
Last couple of years I have really taken advantage of all the different trade in bonuses to move a ton of older stuff to be able to purchase the new. Couldn’t wait for this season so I did a major eBay sell off to net some profits for gear.

I wait. And wait. And wait some more. Then I wait even longer. And wait a bit more after that.

I'm tired of waiting.:LOL: I can't afford not to wait though. So I wait more.:)

For me it is what is the honest need. I love new releases & the technology they bring each year. In the end I do end up with new equipment in the bag, but typically wait to
See what has been released & what I can demo.

I tend to at least seriously consider (and usually buy) a new driver every year. Everything else is more on an as-needed basis or if there's a release that seems like a drastic improvement over what I'm playing.

i just picked up a mav sz and super hybrid...not sure if i'm gonna spring for something brand new yet.

Fitting scheduled for next month to see if new is better or current bag set up stays for another year

I am more of a "target of opportunity" guy. Good deals on prior generation models is okay with me.

I’ll be getting a new driver this year and it’s highly unlikely it will be a 2021 model. I’m also in the market for a GPS watch. I’m waiting for the new models to see what happens with prices and features

Full year? when was the last time you went a full month without a new club/bag? I say this as someone with a similar afflicition...

But to your initial query I think once in the last 5 years have not bought something new in January when releases all start to come out and that was only because I flew internationally for a fitting.

No way I won't be getting one of the new drivers, but I think otherwise my bag is in good shape other than probably replacing my 54* wedge.

i just picked up a mav sz and super hybrid...not sure if i'm gonna spring for something brand new yet.

We need to play sometime since we live so close to each other.

Full year? when was the last time you went a full month without a new club/bag? I say this as someone with a similar afflicition...

But to your initial query I think once in the last 5 years have not bought something new in January when releases all start to come out and that was only because I flew internationally for a fitting.

No way I won't be getting one of the new drivers, but I think otherwise my bag is in good shape other than probably replacing my 54* wedge.
You definitely know me better than most!

Jumped already, ZX7's in the bag as of yesterday.

I’ll pay the full price, but I only upgrade if I see better results from equipment, so I’m not constantly buying stuff.

definitely...my schedule is open till the 1st

I play Ridge Creek all the time. If you would like to play let me know.

I just refreshed my bag top to bottom last February, so I'm good for this year. I tend to hang onto clubs for several years (at least), unless I get an absolutely smokin' deal I can't resist.

I live close to TGW, so pre-covid I'd go there and hit everything a few times to see what I liked best. They usually have a large selection, being one of the larger retailers.

Back