New Irons Dilemma

Jaggie99

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I've been out testing a slew of irons to replace my 3 yr old TE Bazookas. Tested
1. Callaway Razr X
2. TM Burner 2.0
3. PING I15
4. PING G15
5. Mizuno JPX 800
6. Mizuno JPX 800 Pros

I narrowed it down to PING and Mizunos. Oddly, I'm hitting PIBG I15 and JPX800 Pros better, especially since TE Geomax Bazooka are the wide soles.

TM Burner 2.0:
Horrible feel. Super Long, but so is the shaft. Felt totally uncomfortable with them

Callaway Razr X:
Very good, and comparable to Mizuno JPX 800. Just liked the JPX 800's better.

PING:
Hit the I15's nicely albeit with a slight fade. Now the strange part. all I heard was how easy it is to hit the G15. Coming from Wide sole irons I fugred no problem, should be a piece of cake, NOT. I can't hit these for the life of me. Not sure if the lessons taken this year(10) combined with practicing usng "The compresion board" has changed my attack angle. Very odd

Mizuno:
One word..SWEET ! Hit the JPX 800 and the 800 Pro quite well. Mizuno demo day fitting showed 2up +0.25. No complaints with either. Solid striking and good control

So, now my dilemma. I play 19(long story here..started golfing in late 2009 after 8+ yr hiatus. 2010 was 27 cap, today 19, but one day I will shoot mid 80's, then suddenly mid/hi 90s...no consistency). Question....

While technically I should look at GI irons, does it make sense to go with PING I15 or Mizuno JPX 800 Pro ? Anyone have experience with Mizuno JPX line ? This would be my first time playing Mizuno if I decide to go with them,
Again, oddly I feel I'm hitting Player irons much better for some reason. :dont-know:

Anyone have similar experience while testing these PING's & Mizunos ?

Thanks

I personally have always played a players iron (hand me downs). I feel that you should play with whatever lowers your score. For some people it may be a blade, others it may be a set of hybrid irons. Whatever gets the ball to the hole in the lowest strokes possible. I will say however that iron technology has come a long way in the last decade. And for me, scoring honestly comes from the short game. I have learned that to break 90, you need to keep the ball in play and chip well. to break 80, you need to tighten up that chipping and putt well, and to shoot scratch golf, then iron play comes into work. But to eaches own of course.

I feel that the JPX and JPX pros are awesome irons. They are geared toward more distance (hence the lighter weight and swingweights and higher flight). The G15's are stupid easy to hit, and the i15's are really forgiving for players irons. I personally hit all of these clubs too high, but if I were to choose one when I was at your handicap, it would probably be the i15's. But the JPX and JPX Pro's are also very safe bets.

Honestly, the JPX 800 Pros arent that hard to hit well. They are still a pretty decent sized cavityback and are fairly forgiving. They JPX 800s are designed to be a bit more forgiving and offer higher ballflight but honestly, your swing doesnt need to be perfect to hit the Pros well. If you like the Pros, I see no reason to be gunshy about them.
The same really goes for the Pings, theyre both great clubs and if the i15s feel right to you, theres no reason to be shy about them. The G15s are great irons but some people find them be too chunky and shovelish.
This past spring I demoed a set of i15s and REALLY liked them. I typically prefer Mizunos and forged irons but if I were in the market for set of new irons and got a sweet deal on a set of Pings Id be proud to have them in my bag.
BTW, awesome avatar, Jaggie. Its always nice to see a fellow hockey fan on the forum! :good: I was very happy to see the Bs beat those rotten Canucks!

Of the ones you listed I liked the Mizuno JPX's the best. Not to say I loved them, I didn't. I am with you on the G15s. Eventually the Ping rep said, "You can't hit those, can you?" This after trying several different color codes. Never did give he I15s a hard look. My first demo day had me hitting some marginal GI clubs pretty well. 2nd day back I came to my senses when I started hitting some bad shots with the very same clubs. My advice is to hit em at least 2 more times and try to make the conditions less than ideal so you can push the limits. See if you can lose the first love and get it back before you buy them...if that makes any sense.

Of the ones you listed I liked the Mizuno JPX's the best. Not to say I loved them, I didn't. I am with you on the G15s. Eventually the Ping rep said, "You can't hit those, can you?" This after trying several different color codes. Never did give he I15s a hard look. My first demo day had me hitting some marginal GI clubs pretty well. 2nd day back I came to my senses when I started hitting some bad shots with the very same clubs. My advice is to hit em at least 2 more times and try to make the conditions less than ideal so you can push the limits. See if you can lose the first love and get it back before you buy them...if that makes any sense.

Id also get fitted. The greatest irons in the world dont mean a thing if they arent fitted to you. Great advice though!

I think the Mizuno JPX 800's are great irons. They are some of the best irons I've hit and I generally play a less forgiving iron. Sounds like they suit you already, I'd feel comfortable in your elimination process. I'll second the fitting to tune in your specs. It will make them that much better for you.

Good luck and let us know what you go with.

I bought the Burner 1.0s last week, but went yesterday for a lesson and hit the Razr X irons, and o my goodness I loved them. They were a little out of my price range and so I didn't even try them, but now I'm thinking I might keep an eye on the price, and if they dip, I will probably buy them.

Honestly, the JPX 800 Pros arent that hard to hit well. They are still a pretty decent sized cavityback and are fairly forgiving. They JPX 800s are designed to be a bit more forgiving and offer higher ballflight but honestly, your swing doesnt need to be perfect to hit the Pros well. If you like the Pros, I see no reason to be gunshy about them.
The same really goes for the Pings, theyre both great clubs and if the i15s feel right to you, theres no reason to be shy about them. The G15s are great irons but some people find them be too chunky and shovelish.
This past spring I demoed a set of i15s and REALLY liked them. I typically prefer Mizunos and forged irons but if I were in the market for set of new irons and got a sweet deal on a set of Pings Id be proud to have them in my bag.
BTW, awesome avatar, Jaggie. Its always nice to see a fellow hockey fan on the forum! :good: I was very happy to see the Bs beat those rotten Canucks!

Bucky,

Thanks for the advice. Hitting so many new sticks makes one feel like, hey get one set of each !!!!!!!
As for the avatar, another title for my hometown; one amazing last decade between Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins. Grew up watching lot of Ray Bourque and Cam Neely and B's came up short couple of times vs the loaded Oilers of late 80's. As a very young hockey fan, was amazed what "99" and "66" meant to the game with their skills, but game is different today. The little trivia about Lemieux is.....first shift, his first nhl game, he scores his first goal on first shot against who ?...Boston Bruins, having stolen puck from Ray Bourque !

Now back to my sticks search.

I had the same i15 and g15 experience as you Jaggie. i15s clean and easy, g15s were shank central maybe it was mental, maybe quirks with my swing. I ended up getting the i15s and stowed away my set of mx300s. First round out broke 90 for the first time in years. If you like the i15s, go for it! Definitely recommend fitting, and in addition. To lie/length/shaft, don't forget about swingweight. I had my clubs weighted up to d2 and love how much smoother and solid it feels with my swing.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I have the 800s, as stated in my sig, and absolutely love them. But, I can't help much as the only other club I hit that was in your selection process was the TM 2.0s and they weren't even close to as good as the 800s (for me).

I didn't even consider the 800 Pros because up until this year I was a 5-6 time a year golfer and half those would be scrambles. I refused a fitting as I didn't want the clubs changed to a swing that I knew wouldn't be my swing as I got back into golf seriously this year and worked hard on my game. I've played enough with them now that I could go get fit to them but I'm hitting them quite well and will probably worry about a fitting when my game is ready to move up to my next set of irons which will probably be when I'm consistently in the lower 80s/upper 70s (love these so much that it'll probably be another set of Mizunos).

Good luck and give us a good review after you've made your choice and played with them some.

good to know I'm not the only one left scratching his head unable to hit G15's solid whereas hitting I15's crisply. I'll narrow it down soon, but looks like one last round of hitting G15, I15, JPX 800 & 800 Pro, and decide. Will keep everyone posted how this pans out

I have the 800s, as stated in my sig, and absolutely love them. But, I can't help much as the only other club I hit that was in your selection process was the TM 2.0s and they weren't even close to as good as the 800s (for me).

I didn't even consider the 800 Pros because up until this year I was a 5-6 time a year golfer and half those would be scrambles. I refused a fitting as I didn't want the clubs changed to a swing that I knew wouldn't be my swing as I got back into golf seriously this year and worked hard on my game. I've played enough with them now that I could go get fit to them but I'm hitting them quite well and will probably worry about a fitting when my game is ready to move up to my next set of irons which will probably be when I'm consistently in the lower 80s/upper 70s (love these so much that it'll probably be another set of Mizunos).

Good luck and give us a good review after you've made your choice and played with them some.

TG
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'm headed for the decision day between PING(G15, I15) vs. Mizuno (JPX 800, 800 Pro). Will post my decision and review

Back