New Level Golf Suspends Sales Through Wholesalers & Golf Fitters

i'm not equating quality, innovation, etc between the two, but it reminds me a bit of ben hogan golf. they came back, seemed to be making a push into retail, then pulled everything and went 100% dtc. it seems to have worked very well for them, so maybe nl can find success as well. personally i haven't hit any nl gear that i can recall. some of it looks good, a lot of it looks very generic and seems overpriced to me.
What do you consider overpriced about them? I bought a set of 1126 forged during the black Friday sale for $499. I can't think of any manufacturer that sells a set of 4-p forged heads with Elevate 105 shafts for that cost. Even the retail of $770 seemed very fair for the product and build quality is excellent. I've not hit them yet, but as GI irons go, I don't know that I've seen a better looking set, save for maybe a 5-series Srixon.

What do you consider overpriced about them? I bought a set of 1126 forged during the black Friday sale for $499. I can't think of any manufacturer that sells a set of 4-p forged heads with Elevate 105 shafts for that cost. Even the retail of $770 seemed very fair for the product and build quality is excellent. I've not hit them yet, but as GI irons go, I don't know that I've seen a better looking set, save for maybe a 5-series Srixon.

$770 for a blank with no tech seems overpriced to me

probably a combination of both. I know Club Champion and True Spec carry New Level but they never seemed to be a go to option unless you asked to hit them. I had to beg my last fitter to try them bc I was curious

but overall New Level is pretty dedicated on their social media marketing and have a loyal following. I had the 4995 HB driving iron all last year and the 623 irons most of this year. They're great clubs

probably a combination of both. I know Club Champion and True Spec carry New Level but they never seemed to be a go to option unless you asked to hit them. I had to beg my last fitter to try them bc I was curious

but overall New Level is pretty dedicated on their social media marketing and have a loyal following. I had the 4995 HB driving iron all last year and the 623 irons most of this year. They're great clubs
You had to beg a fitter to hit new Level? Where?

I've been to Club Champion a dozen or more times and have never been forced to look at specific products. If I wanted to hit something, we hit it.

You had to beg a fitter to hit new Level? Where?

I've been to Club Champion a dozen or more times and have never been forced to look at specific products. If I wanted to hit something, we hit it.
that was at True Spec. not a good experience for me... CC has always been awesome. Brad fits me when I go in

I'll be honest, prior to this post I've never heard of this brand. Their aren't ugly or anything but nothing draws me in to make me feel like they'd be something to go to.

Personally I haven't a bad interaction with EB but have seen some of the early social media stuff that is not very professional in my opinion. As for the irons, I played a combo set of the 902/623's and found them to be really good. The build quality was excellent and the specs were bang on what I ordered. My guess is that they didnt meet the sales expectations that NL envisioned.

So, are we all just going to ignore his signature then? Because it looks like it has no quality control whatsoever.

But back to topic, I think a company like NL would certainly benefit from a DTC model to better control product quantity and focus on being a boutique club manufacturer. The only downside I see is that with Ben Hogan, there was a track record of performance and quality. With NL, that is still being proven (which is not to say that they are not high in performance or quality, I have no idea, and that is my point).

So, are we all just going to ignore his signature then? Because it looks like it has no quality control whatsoever.

But back to topic, I think a company like NL would certainly benefit from a DTC model to better control product quantity and focus on being a boutique club manufacturer. The only downside I see is that with Ben Hogan, there was a track record of performance and quality. With NL, that is still being proven (which is not to say that they are not high in performance or quality, I have no idea, and that is my point).
If it means the business you started survives, pretty much any business model that tries to ensure that is an option. If the gear is good it will get bought.

If it means the business you started survives, pretty much any business model that tries to ensure that is an option. If the gear is good it will get bought.
I would be interested to hear @JB and @golfunfiltered's opinion on this point. I tend to think that the product must be good and generate market buzz and adoption. I would venture to guess that there are a lot of really good products out there that either never make it long term, or if they do, end up in another form as a result of someone with bigger market share taking inspiration from the idea. But that is just my hunch.

I would be interested to hear @JB and @golfunfiltered's opinion on this point. I tend to think that the product must be good and generate market buzz and adoption. I would venture to guess that there are a lot of really good products out there that either never make it long term, or if they do, end up in another form as a result of someone with bigger market share taking inspiration from the idea. But that is just my hunch.
There is some truth to that, agreed however golfers are a weird bunch as we all know. Some will be single brand for life, others will rotate through the big names and others will be willing to experiment with something new (especially if the price point is good). That being said, if you are small then marketing budgets will be thin at best to get the word out so they do go hand in hand.

This is true, to a point. If these are sitting next to a Ping or Callaway, a normal person off the street will likely recognize the name and gravitate towards what they know, performance or not. There's a ton of guys with an entire bag full of one brand that are likely leaving performance on the table for no reason other than blind loyalty. It's hard for a newcomer to build that following, unless you throw a billion dollars at it, like PXG.

This is true, to a point. If these are sitting next to a Ping or Callaway, a normal person off the street will likely recognize the name and gravitate towards what they know, performance or not. There's a ton of guys with an entire bag full of one brand that are likely leaving performance on the table for no reason other than blind loyalty. It's hard for a newcomer to build that following, unless you throw a billion dollars at it, like PXG.
That's fair enough, but if they're actualy trying to go toe to toe with Callaway, TaylorMade, etc.., they've already lost/ And, maybe that's why they've shifted gears. They have a cult following and maybe word of mouth can keep them sustainable and throttling back a little can help them be more focused to a target demographic? But they were never going to cut into the big boys' slice of pie, IMHO.

In my opinion, the cream doesn't always rise to the top. There's a commonly-held belief that if a product is good, people will find it. That's not true across the board, in my experience.

You have to market, and do so well. You also don't want to piss off your consumer base, which the NL owner has done many times.

Back