New P700 Series Irons from TaylorMade Golf

Any forgiveness advantage of the MC over the new MB? From your numbers it would seem not. Also where are you at with the MMT?
20230127_104012.jpg

Heck yeah there is!

There's a decent size difference between them. The MBs are seriously compact. And the MC is still a muscle cavity, so it has some benefit of perimeter weighting. The MCs are a very small cavity iron, but in terms of playability they are definitely still a little different than the blades.

View attachment 9153515

Heck yeah there is!

There's a decent size difference between them. The MBs are seriously compact. And the MC is still a muscle cavity, so it has some benefit of perimeter weighting. The MCs are a very small cavity iron, but in terms of playability they are definitely still a little different than the blades.
Thanks. Most of their pros use the MC. The guys with protos - ie best ball strikers in the world use 730s but it’s rare to see even a single guy in the full set of P7MB. Likely I’ll go with a full set of MC and order an extra 770 4i weak in case I feel like I need help. Will you be gaming one of these sets in the MMT? I agree I found it launched a bit higher. Outdoors the flight was weird. Looked quite high but didn’t balloon.

Thanks. Most of their pros use the MC. The guys with protos - ie best ball strikers in the world use 730s but it’s rare to see even a single guy in the full set of P7MB. Likely I’ll go with a full set of MC and order an extra 770 4i weak in case I feel like I need help. Will you be gaming one of these sets in the MMT? I agree I found it launched a bit higher. Outdoors the flight was weird. Looked quite high but didn’t balloon.
Oh I forgot you asked about the MMT. No, won't be going with it. Or these irons. Still like the MCs, but would have preferred to see some more improvements over the last ones. I like the MBs more, but don't have a desire to play them. The MMTs are nice, just not the best fit of what I've tried.

I just got my p790 with MMT 105 in stiff. Coming from 921 Forged these feel powerful. Not enough time with them yet as I’ve only hit them outdoors and it’s been relatively cold here in Nashville.
When being fit tho, indoors, I loved the MMT. Really felt that too stiffness helped me control the bottom of the swing over my recoils in the mizunos.

Oh I forgot you asked about the MMT. No, won't be going with it. Or these irons. Still like the MCs, but would have preferred to see some more improvements over the last ones. I like the MBs more, but don't have a desire to play them. The MMTs are nice, just not the best fit of what I've tried.

The torque number is weird to me especially because they feel quite stiff in the hands. I fought the left side with them when I played them for a bit last year. They were in t100 which I don’t like but they only wanted to draw. The fade seemed to just want to go upwards even with the 125tx. You ever hit the P7tw?

Anyone have any longer term thoughts on the new P770? Specifically how they compare to the current P790?

The torque number is weird to me especially because they feel quite stiff in the hands. I fought the left side with them when I played them for a bit last year. They were in t100 which I don’t like but they only wanted to draw. The fade seemed to just want to go upwards even with the 125tx. You ever hit the P7tw?
Yes, but mostly in a demo setting. Took a set out once. I really like them. I mean they're the shape I like and are just a good blade. Went to buy a set that was offered to me once at a good price (Sat) and they were gone before I got there Monday morning though. That was pretty much it.

Anyone have any longer term thoughts on the new P770? Specifically how they compare to the current P790?

I haven't played them, but what I see in others that do is what I see on monitor. 790 longer, flatter, more forgiving for most. Seems like the more compact size of the 770 scares some off, and they're not as long. Higher flight, little more spin. I know a few guys that have the new 770s and love them though, and a couple who have one to a few of them in their bags. One has seen real good benefit of the CG protecting the right a bit.

I haven't played them, but what I see in others that do is what I see on monitor. 790 longer, flatter, more forgiving for most. Seems like the more compact size of the 770 scares some off, and they're not as long. Higher flight, little more spin. I know a few guys that have the new 770s and love them though, and a couple who have one to a few of them in their bags. One has seen real good benefit of the CG protecting the right a bit.

Are you saying the P790's actuallly fly lower than P770? I generally hit the ball high so that is interesting if so.

Are you saying the P790's actuallly fly lower than P770? I generally hit the ball high so that is interesting if so.
They're stronger lofted and all things equal will launch lower and with more speed. Depending on how you maximize your flight they could ultimately peak the same, but the 790 would have a stronger trajectory.

The p770s have some pretty big temptation right now. I can get them about $200’off plus my trade value. Just can’t help but wonder what is coming in just a couple months.

The p770s have some pretty big temptation right now. I can get them about $200’off plus my trade value. Just can’t help but wonder what is coming in just a couple months.
Only the P790 is due for an upgrade. So unless that’s what you might be eyeing there is no replacement for the 770 for a year.
Played P790/P770 combo. 790 bent 1 degree weak and P770 1 degree strong and it was nice. That was before speedfoam air. Irons look almost identical now so it was a good mix.

Last edited:
Only the P790 is due for an upgrade. So unless that’s what you might be eyeing there is no replacement for the 770 for a year.
Was thinking 2 others that should have releases this summer.

Ahhh I see. Which ones? I love me some Apex can’t wait to see those.
Cobra always gets a look... Mizzy and Titleist should be close to something

Back