New putter or keep what works

Dave G

Reaction score
Handicap
28.2 USGA
OK, those new fangled putters sure do look SEXY but is it logical to spend the money when your old stick works?
I hit a 3 putt about once in 18 holes (easy greens). Lately I'm about 30 putts per round (1.73). Is there a way to know when to upgrade?

Last edited:
If you are comfortable with your current putter and it is working well for you, I wouldn't rock the boat. Speaking from experience, several times over.

More than anything in the bag, I think the putter is the ultimate "keep what works" club.

I say ride it til it bucks you. When something works well, whether it's superstition or not, I'm concerned that if I move away from it I may not be able to recapture the mojo.

Probably keep what works. However, a new putter can be fun, confidence inspiring, and encourage more practice with it. This can lead to better putting.

I say ride it til it bucks you. When something works well, whether it's superstition or not, I'm concerned that if I move away from it I may not be able to recapture the mojo.

Probably keep what works. However, a new putter can be fun, confidence inspiring, and encourage more practice with it. This can lead to better putting.

Normally, I'd agree with the above. However, I think if you're putting that well with the Titleist Bullseye, which is basically a "training aid" nowadays, then you could only stand to improve with a more advanced putter.

Normally, I'd agree with the above. However, I think if you're putting that well with the Titleist Bullseye, which is basically a "training aid" nowadays, then you could only stand to improve with a more advanced putter.
Very true but I'd also assume one isn't playing wood woods and a niblick.

(If it's in his sig, they're not visible on Tapatalk)

Last edited:
As someone who had this exact experience, stick with what works. It can be hard finding something that works and it can be an ugly rabbit hole to wander down.

If it works, I wouldnt mess with it.

Very true but I'd also assume one isn't playing wood woods and a niblick.

(If it's in his sig, they're not visible on Tapatalk)

It's in the sig :)

I would likely get a SAM putter fitting and see what happens.. Maybe the bullseye is perfect for you, maybe something else out there is a touch better suited for your particular stroke.

New putter but don't trade in what works.

It's in the sig :)

I would likely get a SAM putter fitting and see what happens.. Maybe the bullseye is perfect for you, maybe something else out there is a touch better suited for your particular stroke.

Thanks everyone for your advice. For now I'm going to keep what I have but when I get back home I will get a SAM fitting next time I'm down by Milwaukee. And yup, the Bullseye won't be going anywhere until I have something that exceeds it's performance for me.

OK, those new fangled putters sure do look SEXY but is it logical to spend the money when your old stick works?
I hit a 3 putt about once in 18 holes (easy greens). Lately I'm about 30 putts per round (1.73). Is there a way to know when to upgrade?

I think if you want to take your putting game to the next level, go get a fitting. It will break down your putting stroke, how much of an arc you putt one and what the right putter head you should be using. Sometimes for some that might be too much technical data, but at the very least you get piece of mind if the current putter head shape you are using is the right one for you. Also if you decide to upgrade, you know have an idea of what type of putter shape to be looking at to optimize your putting stroke.

I keep using what works!

I'm all for keeping what works.

I'm all for keeping what works.

Thanks all! For now I'll keep my putter but I think the next time I make it to Milwaukee I'll schedule up a SAM fitting.

If it works and you are comfortable with it, then stick with it - you could try a fitting to see if there is something better, but don't change just for the sake of it

Go hunt out the Grandaddy thread where Maddog talked about his putter and how he had used the same one for (I think) 30+ years and would still be using it if he hadn't been fitted for a full new bag

The putter is the hardest club for me to get comfortable with, so when I’m feeling good, I stick it out.

I do always have a reliable backup, but aside from that, I don’t mess with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New putter but don't trade in what works.

Oh, I'd never get rid of a putter that works. I have putters from my first years playing. I've got one that's 31.5" long. It's a shot peen finish. Nothing fancy about it, but it just worked for me. I haven't played it for 15+ years, but every time I see it, it brings back fond memories so I can't let it go.

I’d kill someone for 30 putts a round. Keep what works!!!!!!

#FiberLaunch

I got an up close look at the magic this vintage putter can provide when Dave G added a detour through MO to his trip back north, (GREAT GUY, happy to finally meet him!) He rolled in a crap load of tough 4-10 footers with that old Titleist, missed a couple on the back nine, but darned impressive for a guy just months into golf. I wouldn't recommend completely ditching that putter but I think there might even be additional benefit waith a putter featuring tech to assist with more consistent lag putt distance control per lateral face impact position. Although the trouble with lags might've been more about all the complicated multi breaking putts you faced compared to the flatter putts you were used to while wintering in FL? I wouldn't just buy something though, maybe mess around at golf stores seeing which putters give you the most consistent distance control on long putts without compromising your deadly accuracy in close.

30 putts per round is OK, nothing wrong with that, putter that is. Just need to get to basics and you'll be OK.

After getting home I decided to go play with some new putters. Sure enough, equipment has improved in 35 years.
I brought the old putter along with so that I could compare them side by side.

I have an injury that causes tremors so when I putt I really have to stabilize as much as possible. But even doing that sometimes my putter varies 1/2-1" off line. Hitting center is always a challenge.

So over the course of several days I tested everything they had and found the best for me was the Odyssey #7 Tank Super Stroke 38". Side by side 15' out I got 6 balls into an 8" ring (2 in the cup). Old putter a 20" ring. I repeated it four times with consistent 8" patterns.

I still want to test it on a real green so I ordered one with a 30 day test drive but I'm sure it'll stay in the bag.

In my opinion, unless you're a Tour pro and have a contract that forbids it, you should never kick any club to the curb that you are comfortable with and that produces for you.

Thought I'd post a follow-up.
I m a stats kind of guy so I've been tracking my results to see if it was a positive upgrade or a waste of money. My best ever with the old blade on 9 holes was 15 strokes. This was with 52-9 hole rounds on very flat hard and fast greens down in Florida. My average was 18.

Since getting the new mallet I've completed another 25-9 hole rounds and my low is 13 putts with an average of 15. The greens are much softer, slower and sloped. I've also holed 2 20 footers which I had never done with the old blade. Also, given my tremors, the 38" shaft along with my new putting setup makes me feel rock solid and has helped my conference.

All said, it was a very worthwhile purchase.

Back