New to golf tech - Can data be used to self 'fit' clubs?

we5inelgr

Reaction score
Hi all,

New here, but not new to golf...although it's been a VERY long time.

Background: I used to play on my high school team back in the late 80's, was pretty decent (not scratch), then rarely played between then and now. Perhaps 10 rounds total (with about 4 recently). Have more time now and wanting to get back into golf and most definitely would like new clubs.

I'd like my next set of clubs to be fitted, at least to some degree (semi fitted?). Going with Titleist, TSR2/T300 as I'm about a 20 handicap right now (limited dataset I know) and in need of game improvement clubs. I'm very confident that if I stuck with my (really) old clubs and no lessons, etc., I could work my way down to a ~15 hc fairly quickly with playing more (at least 3 or 4 times a month).

I'm most likely going to get my new gear over several months with the Driver/f.w. metal/hybrid being the first purchases, then putter, then irons (since my irons are the most decent part of my old set).

So far, I was thinking the only way to get fitted was by a professional, or at the very least, someone working in a golf shop with tech (simulator/launch monitor) available to them.

However, I'm wondering if I might be able to get enough decent data to sort of DIY "fitting" for things like Driver: loft, shaft type/length/flex and grip?

At this point, for data collection, I'm looking at either the Rapsodo MLM or Garmin Approach R10.

I'm thinking, not only could I initially 'fit' myself for new clubs, but then could use the tech (both indoors at home, and at the range) to continue to help improve my game.

Thoughts?

Can either device get me enough decent data to be able to help me figure out how to "fit" my own club purchases?

I'm not looking for perfection, just something better than taking a (somewhat) educated guess.

Thanks in advance!

Gary

The data could help. Much more if you do it where can see the actual ball flight to confirm data, (hopefully with decent balls). I've used my own cheaper monitors to assist when comparing clubs, setup changes, etc.. I would NOT trust a cheaper monitor and self designed test to fine tune my club builds anywhere near as much as I would an experienced fitter with superior technology though.

And yes, either of those monitors can be a valuable tool as you work to improve your game. Much more if you incorporate professional instruction in there too.

Last edited:
Thanks to you both for the replies and suggestions. Much appreciated!

I think you can self fit to a degree, but I don’t know that at this point it’s super necessary. In your shoes I would probably go to some big box golf stores that have used clubs and try a few different things and buy what feels and performs best. Then I would play 3-4 times a month like you mentioned and kind of get your swing and game back and then go get fitted. Even then I would go more the route of a free fitting at a big box type place.

I think if the golfer thoroughly understands the data, and the fitting process, they can go the diy route.

Me, I'm more comfortable letting the experts do the testing. All, I really care about are ball flights. I have also made it a point to study what causes my errant ball flights. If I know what causes my poor ball flights, the fix is easier, and more permanent.

My own fitting process consists of three different fitters. I do this to confirm I am using the same, consistent swing mechanics. I've been fortunate everytime, that all three (different) fitters came back with the same club specs.

Once I have those specs, I order my clubs.

First, welcome!

Next, I suggest getting the irons and putter first, as you will be using these the most.

Finally, while you may be able to DIY to a certain extent, the advantage of a pro fitting is that you get to try and measure different head and shaft combos.

Regardless, good luck and enjoy the journey!

With enough knowledge and the tools at your disposal, the answer is yes, kind of.

You’ll likely never have the number of options available that a well-stocked fitter does. You’ll likely not have the bits of insider knowledge and experience to look at your swing and say “I bet this might work”. Personal bias and tunnel vision can limit your ability to self-diagnose as well.

I do like the idea of using a launch monitor to gather data for game improvement. I just think there are more efficient, and probably more effective, ways to fit.

Don't self fit. Have a professional do it. They know what they're doing and you won't question every little thing when you're done

The only thing I've been professionally fit for that's any different than my self fitting has been my putter.
When I got fit for a driver, I ended up in a shaft I had played off and on for about 8-10 years. Oban Devotion. I had a pretty good idea what I needed in a head, loft and spin wise.
Iron shafts were a " lets get checked before spending $$$" kinda thing. Turns out I was correct in my educated guess of what would work for me.
If you know much about equipment characteristics and your game, I think you can self fit pretty well if you have access to trackman or flight scope.
The problem I see with professional fittings is that some of the fitters are much better than others, even at places like CC. PGASS, Golf Galaxy etc, it's a crap shoot.
The real bonus of Professional fitting is all the combo's you actually can hit with "eyes on"

Last edited:
My response leans towards @Hawk 's on this. I took the route you're talking about a bit after not playing for a long time. I wouldn't say I regret it. In retro though, it was costly, and slower with that bias and vision he's talking about causing a few missteps. Love the idea of getting a personal launch monitor and using it to make your practice more effective and efficient. So why not do that with the clubs too? Go try a bunch of stuff at stores at least if you can and have those guys and that data semi-fit you. Doesn't cost anything and will open you up to more options and outside voices and eyes on it at least.

I have a different perspective than some of the answers so far. Yes, you can absolutely self-fit, but the data have to mean something to you (contextually) in terms of target numbers zones for YOUR game. This might take a bit of tinkering to build up this mental database.

What kind of access to free launch monitor time do you have? I am fortunate that my local golf shop has indoor hitting bays and offers free time to try any club you want. Their staff assists with fitting, and it is all free of charge. Over the past few years I have built up enough confidence that I know more about running the software and self-fitting than all but the most experienced staff. My local store rocks, and I am lucky there.

I do not think you need to have access to outdoor launch monitor data, because for one, most ranges you won't be hitting your normal ball. Range balls don't cut it if you are really looking at numbers - you should ALWAYS be using the ball you play on course when fitting. Always, always start with the ball first, and then be aware of what changes to ball might imply for a setup.

Next... indoor bays let you hit your own ball and offer very reliable data - look for GC Quad or Trackman. IMO indorr ball data totally trumps outdoor range balls. And outdoor gange data with your own ball is Unicorn status... just not that common. Once comfy indoors, learn what the numbers mean to you. Some people hit down on the ball more, some are sweepers. Some draw, some fade, etc. You need to learn what your current setup that you play on course is doing indoors, and then start looking at options that could move you to a more ideal "zone". The ball can definitely help cure a lot of things by offering more or less overall spin, especially with irons and wedges. Base testing off your own ball.

Clubheads matter more than shafts. This is where you will see the biggest differences - you will know having played before what looks and feels OK to you, and some basic research online will give you an idea of maybe what to expect vs. your current irons. More or less help, forgiveness, launch, etc. Things to pay attention to are ball speed, descent angle, peak height and spin. You generally don't need tons of spin as long as peak height and descent angle are good. A lie board with impact tape on the bottom of the head can help with lie angles. Club length ask someone if you are particularly tall or short, or consult Ping Chart.

Shafts - pay attention to what you can consistently find center with, and feels natural to swing. If something feels to weird (i.e. too stiff, soft, hard to find center consistently) it probably is. Don't overthink it, but don't ignore it. Clubheads again, make more difference than shafts.

Hybrids and Woods - tons of options... way, way better than years ago. This is also where spending some time hitting and talking with fitters will help you learn what the numbers mean for you.

Good luck - its a fun process. If you don't have access to a free monitor to tinker around... it may be worth talking to a local teacher / pro / fitter than can help accelerate the process.

I mostly self fit at this point, and am not half bad at it. It does take some time to learn your needs, and sift through all the options however.

I found that self fitting was a useful experience that helped me talk intelligently with my fitter. I already knew how how to cut clubs and adjust swing weight.
But, it is hard to evaluate yourself. I thought I could use standard ladies clubs but my fitter suggested going an inch shorter.
I'm now hitting a lot more greens with the shorter clubs!

It also helped to be told that I needed a much shorter and lighter driver.
I learned enough from the fitting experience to adjust the driver I didn't bring to the fitting.
Before the fitting I'd have doubts that a Swing Weight of B4 was OK for my swing. That low???
My fitter specified C2 for my new driver.

The fitter found shafts that matched my swing. I don't have any idea how I could have done that on my own.
The fitting removed a lot of doubt or questions from my game so I could work on other things.

Personally I’d start with the Ping chart, see where the ball goes and play my ass off.

I like this. if you are grossly mis-fit then this static fitting and watching ball flight should say so. As you get back in the game, your golf shape may improve along with technique and the way you deliver the club to ball will change. Also, I've come to believe hitting fairways and putting are my two biggest drivers of my score. Begs why I'd spend great energy thinking about irons

Also - Welcome to THP!

:welcome:

Wow, thank you all for the great advice and sharing your personal experiences. I really appreciate it and will use this information going forward.

Can't wait to really get back into golf, especially with tech/everything that's changed in the last 30+ years. I love data (coming from the IT field) and find all this a bit fascinating as it applies to golf. Should be a fun journey!

Thanks again! (y)

welcome back

the tech is great, it allows me to hit the ball now as far as I did 30 years ago as a 30 handicap. If any downside exists, scores still made or lost with the short stick and the wedge.

you won't question every little thing when you're done
Sir, this is THP. Of course we will question every little thing when they are done with us.

Back