No Cobra clubs at Dicks Sporting goods.

98% of the clothes Alyssa wears comes from DSG, so while in there the other night for her, I wondered into the golf section, and thought I walked through a portal and into 2016. The only thing that appeared to be current year release were the golf balls.

This is the case here too. DSG is truly lacking. We have a golf galaxy close, but I’ve got serious philosophical issues with them, so I’m limited to the local Ping dealer, or a shop in another city that’s ok, but very small.

98% of the clothes Alyssa wears comes from DSG, so while in there the other night for her, I wondered into the golf section, and thought I walked through a portal and into 2016. The only thing that appeared to be current year release were the golf balls.

Yup. If you want a brand new set of Speedblades, I got a place for you.

I must say I NEVER go to DSG

At least they carry PING now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must say I NEVER go to DSG

I will go because they're the only convenient place for me to use a launch monitor. I'm seeing the new TM and Cally stuff showing up here locally. Titleist irons in a couple spots. That's about it.

Yup. If you want a brand new set of Speedblades, I got a place for you.
In our local store, they are the bonus version of the 'SpeedBlades HL!'

At least they carry PING now

Ours starting carrying Ping when they acquired Golf Galaxy....and then GG closed (which is where I got anything if I went big-ish box).

In our local store, they are the bonus version of the 'SpeedBlades HL!'

Ours starting carrying Ping when they acquired Golf Galaxy....and then GG closed (which is where I got anything if I went big-ish box).

Yup. Same.

The DSG Golf department is a strange one these days. The local store closest to my house seems like it's still trying to hang on with somewhat of a presence. They still carry Titleist irons, entire Ping, Cally and TM lines. Cobra and Wilson are gone other than some F7 and Triton drivers on the clearance rack. Still a decent select of Balls and apparel is strong. And there always seems to be at least one salesperson/club tech/builder around.

But the other DSG's around me pretty much have the new Rogue stuff, balls, limited apparel and that seems about it. The remaining equipment racks are old models with one or two left and the club tech area looks like it hasn't been dusted off in months.

Also the Galaxy near me is no better these days. They apparel area which was once filled to the brim has a gap so big in the middle you could literally fit another putting green in there. And the equipment area is a shell of its former self now that Cobra, Adams, Wilson, Cleveland, etc. are no longer being sold there. They seemed to have more racks with older generation clubs like Ping G and TM M1/M2 than the current model clubs. I used to go into this store nearly everyday 3-4 years ago and now its a shell of its former self. The last time I was in there it looked so bare I was looking around for a Going Out of Business Sale sign. I didn't find the sign which surprised me, lol

DICK’S uses a tiered approach to decide what stores get what equipment... This is based on Golf Sales by store.

Example: My DICK’S only carries Callaway, TM, Ping full line & Cleveland Wedges.

The DICK’S south of mine in Cool Springs has the full range of OEMs (Titleist, Srixon, etc). Up until this year, my store was full line Cobra too...

Hope this explanation helps, also everything is carried at Golf Galaxy.

The guy at (mall of ga) dicks told me yesterday that they don’t carry cobra cause they can only supply enough inventory for one store per area....and that’s the PGA superstore, despite it being approx 30 minutes away. It doesn’t explain the absence of mizuno, Titleist, srixon, and most of the players style irons of all the major companies (Callaway x forged, p750/770, ping blades, etc)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The guy at (mall of ga) dicks told me yesterday that they don’t carry cobra cause they can only supply enough inventory for one store per area....and that’s the PGA superstore, despite it being approx 30 minutes away. It doesn’t explain the absence of mizuno, Titleist, srixon, and most of the players style irons of all the major companies (Callaway x forged, p750/770, ping blades, etc)

That is the tier system at work, it even goes to balls... Last year we stopped getting Srixon Balls all together at my location, but just last week the Q-Star Tours came back to my store, but the Z-Stars haven’t as of yet... It’s a weird system...

Are you saying that Cobra can only supply one store per area or that Dicks only supplies cobra at one store per area ?

Are you saying that Cobra can only supply one store per area or that Dicks only supplies cobra at one store per area ?

Cobra can only (or choose to) supply one golf store per area with their equipment. And I think this model applies to most OEMs.

But again, this is just what the head golf guy said.
Who knows how accurate that info is...

The DSG Golf department is a strange one these days. The local store closest to my house seems like it's still trying to hang on with somewhat of a presence. They still carry Titleist irons, entire Ping, Cally and TM lines. Cobra and Wilson are gone other than some F7 and Triton drivers on the clearance rack. Still a decent select of Balls and apparel is strong. And there always seems to be at least one salesperson/club tech/builder around.

But the other DSG's around me pretty much have the new Rogue stuff, balls, limited apparel and that seems about it. The remaining equipment racks are old models with one or two left and the club tech area looks like it hasn't been dusted off in months.

Also the Galaxy near me is no better these days. They apparel area which was once filled to the brim has a gap so big in the middle you could literally fit another putting green in there. And the equipment area is a shell of its former self now that Cobra, Adams, Wilson, Cleveland, etc. are no longer being sold there. They seemed to have more racks with older generation clubs like Ping G and TM M1/M2 than the current model clubs. I used to go into this store nearly everyday 3-4 years ago and now its a shell of its former self. The last time I was in there it looked so bare I was looking around for a Going Out of Business Sale sign. I didn't find the sign which surprised me, lol

Are referring to the Fairlawn/Montrose store? You are right, it used to be much better.
Half the staff used to be over at Golfsmith.

Yeah, when they first opened that store I did that several times. One day I was hitting a driver and the results I got didn't quite seem real -- I didn't feel like I was swinging nearly as fast as the results indicated. I had gotten to know the guy who ran the department and he agreed that something seemed amiss. The store was brand new and he hadn't been fully trained on the monitor tool yet, but we looked through the settings and found something that appeared to provide an adjustment that would let you "wink-wink" dial the results up or down as much as you wanted. It was set to make the results appear quite a bit higher than reality. At least that's what it looked like to both of us. Obviously I'm no expert on these things and I have no idea if there is a legitimate use for a setting like that. But it smelled fishy.

On the other hand, tomcat, it IS nice to have a bay that close to home. And I had no idea they were carrying the Rogues already. I love that their bay is a lot larger and more open than the demo bays at PGA Superstore. No matter how much I try to convince myself I'm not going to hit the ceiling or walls in those little bays, my mind just doesn't believe it. I feel claustrophobic. I always swing so terribly in those.

It is a setting that is basically meant to be used in sim mode golfing a course. That way a good player and a terrible player can play on the same sim and course. Basically a beginner version like in Madden.

Are referring to the Fairlawn/Montrose store? You are right, it used to be much better.
Half the staff used to be over at Golfsmith.

Yeah the Galaxy and DSG in Montrose have gone downhill.
Correct, when the Golfsmith opened there most left Galaxy to work there. But then when Golfsmith closed most went back to Galaxy.
Mike Snodgrass, the guy who used to manage the Galaxy/Golfsmith in Fairlawn is now the master fitter at the new Club Champion in Beachwood.

My local DSG has an F7 3H on clearance for $99. Only Cobra club in the store. At one point they had a huge Cobra display.

Yeah the Galaxy and DSG in Montrose have gone downhill.
Correct, when the Golfsmith opened there most left Galaxy to work there. But then when Golfsmith closed most went back to Galaxy.
Mike Snodgrass, the guy who used to manage the Galaxy/Golfsmith in Fairlawn is now the master fitter at the new Club Champion in Beachwood.

I know who this is. And I was planning on going to CC this spring.... or maybe Windmill again.

Back