No fans at The Memorial

hypothesized on this earlier today based on the growing COVID 19 cases in Ohio. Makes sense and as far as I am concerned enjoying fanless golf on TV.

hypothesized on this earlier today based on the growing COVID 19 cases in Ohio. Makes sense and as far as I am concerned enjoying fanless golf on TV.
I agree. It’s been very enjoyable watching without fans.

No shock if you live in Ohio. The Columbus area is one of 7 covid hotspots in Ohio at the moment. I am more shocked it took this long to make the decision.

just and FYI to the outsiders.... Cleveland Columbus and Cincinnati are growing in COVID numbers some hospitals are running low on room/ventilators also all three cities have adopted laws for mandatory masks inside and outside. Additional cities are looking at similar mandates as well. It is escalating and 1,000 new cases were reported yesterday. Being that is the case surrounding the state and many locals traveling to Memorial, it makes perfect sense.

Muirfield Country Club is located in Dublin, OH located 26 minutes away from Columbus. Probably smart not putting fans in jeopardy from a quick spread.

Well crap! But understandable.

I was talking with family about this very thing this weekend. I told them I would be very shocked if they were to still allow fans in. Hate to know that I was right.

The no fans make complete sense. And as golf fans, we should be thrilled that they are able to have golf tournaments, albeit without fans. Other sports are going to face huge hurdles in their attempts to start up or restart their seasons.

Extremely happy I didn't take time off of work like I usually do for the Memorial. Definitely unfortunate, but understandable given the current climate here in central Ohio and the surrounding areas.

Im just glad that they came to their senses. Theres more important things right now than having fans at a golf tournament.

From the looks of things I’d be surprised to see fans this month.

The announcement was inevitable & surprised it took this long to be made. Kid that just graduated from my sons high school is supposed to have a sponsors exemption next week. Still hope that holds true!!!

No surprise and no brainer decision. Glad they made this call. As many have said, we're lucky to have golf back. Let's not make a mistake by letting fans back too soon. Also, these tournaments have been much better without fans and huge grandstands IMO.

The announcement was inevitable & surprised it took this long to be made. Kid that just graduated from my sons high school is supposed to have a sponsors exemption next week. Still hope that holds true!!!
I am going to guess you are referring to Maxwell. He should be ok unless the cancel the event

I am going to guess you are referring to Maxwell. He should be ok unless the cancel the event
Yep...would be pretty cool...although had there been fans I would have definitely made the trip.

Huge fist bump to the PGA for stepping up and making the only sensible decision IMO. As others have stated, we have live golf that we can watch on TV. Let's not roll the dice by opening it back up to the fans too early and risk having to shut everything down again. Baby steps.

no surprise here. I kinda dig the fan-free golf to a degree....I don't have to hear the jackass screaming BABA BOOEEEEEYYY after every tee shot. I mean fans certainly add something, don't get me wrong...but no shock at all on this and I'll be surprised if they have any fans in 2020.

I'm good with this decision and glad to see it. I'll watch from the same location and I've enjoyed the fan-less experience.

My buddy's wife bought passes for Saturday and Sunday for them. They've been going the last two years. The wife doesn't golf, but the first time she laid eyes on Muirfield Village she was just stunned. Said it was the most beautiful place she had ever seen.

When it was announced that limited fans may be allowed, they were hopeful they might be selected. Then they got a refund! Now everybody has.

Huge fist bump to the PGA for stepping up and making the only sensible decision IMO. As others have stated, we have live golf that we can watch on TV. Let's not roll the dice by opening it back up to the fans too early and risk having to shut everything down again. Baby steps.

I have tickets to the WGC-FedEx at the end of the month. Memphis is experiencing an increase in cases and the city is returning to some restrictions that had been lifted. I have zero expectations that fans will be part of the tournament.

Not surprising given the current situation, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Tour went all of 2020 without fans. Sucks for the people who wanted to go, but on the plus side it makes for better tv viewing.

Back