China Cat>Rider

Dazed & Cornfused
Reaction score
I was at the range today and an older gentleman who was teaching his grandkid how to swing walked over to me and asked if I wanted some advice. I said sure...he said I have a really nice swing (first time anyone ever said that) but that I am swinging with my arms. No hip turn. My lower body is almost fighting my upper. I know I have issues with no hip turn but when I try to make a turn I feel it becomes even worse.

Is there a simple drill I can do to make me finally start swinging with my lower body instead of just the arms?

In my opinion the more quiet and stable you can keep the lower body the better. This becomes more of an on plane takeaway issue and shoulder turn issue versus a hip turn issue. I have used a chair to help find an on plane takeaway in other threads that would be worth looking into. In terms of proper shoulder turn. You should be able to slide your front shoulder under your chin at the top of the back swing. Another way to get this feel is to cross your hands over your shoulders. Now make a turn to the top and try to place your sternum over your back knee. If you can do this you should be engaging the big muscles in your swing.

Thanks Andy I will work on this. I fully understand the concept and can completely visualize it in my head but for some reason my body seems to resist!

Back