No more caddie alignment help - LPGA

Good rule, now they need to stop caddies from helping all pro players read greens, because it's basically the same thing.

Wouldn't it be more like the caddie helping the player pick a line of the tee, such a picking a target in the distance?

This has always been a burr under my saddle, but seeing this announcement this morning made my day a little brighter.

Golf Channel's Randall Mell..."If you're an LPGA fan and never liked seeing caddies line up players before a shot or putt, you can rejoice."

• "This week's season-ending CME Group Tour Championship marks the last time you will have to endure it.

• "When the LPGA resumes play in its season opener at the Diamond Resort Tournament of Championship next January, the new Rules of Golf forbidding caddies from aligning players will be in effect."
Praise the golf gods.

What if it's not their intention to help align them? :clown:

Honestly don't watch much LPGA golf on tv, so can't recall every seeing them get aligned in the past. Nevertheless, I think it's a good decision to make, let the players get aligned themselves.

Yeah they seem to get help every shot. It is glaring and stands out.

I would tend to think that pace might be worse without it. I mean perhaps more uncertaintly leading to more time spent aligning up , then possibly also readjusting, realigning, etc..

As for whether or not it should be allowed. Im in the camp of no. The player needs to do it alone because aligning for a putt or any golf shot is part of ones skils and playing the game.

We were talking about this last weekend during our usual Sunday round. All four of us were in agreement that we liked the change. For me it's seem to not be in the spirit of the game to have help eyeing a line. It's player versus course, not player plus an extra set of eyes versus course.

Having to rely on only myself and what game I brought to the course today is a huge draw to the game. I've done the team sport thing for many years but having the outcome be solely on my own game is a huge source of drive for me.

I would tend to think that pace might be worse without it. I mean perhaps more uncertaintly leading to more time spent aligning up , then possibly also readjusting, realigning, etc..

As for whether or not it should be allowed. Im in the camp of no. The player needs to do it alone because aligning for a putt or any golf shot is part of ones skils and playing the game.

Even though the rules allows a club to bu used pre shot to accomplish the same thing? I would love to see everyone who used a caddie start using a club

We were talking about this last weekend during our usual Sunday round. All four of us were in agreement that we liked the change. For me it's seem to not be in the spirit of the game to have help eyeing a line. It's player versus course, not player plus an extra set of eyes versus course.

Having to rely on only myself and what game I brought to the course today is a huge draw to the game. I've done the team sport thing for many years but having the outcome be solely on my own game is a huge source of drive for me.

on that note, in some ways Id almost like to see tour pros have to find thier own errant hit balls. You know when they are in the woods or 30 yrds off the course into 2 snd 3foot high heavy fescue. Much the same way we loose balls and have to take penalties. I mean i know its just not the way it works because of too many people around , tv cameras, etc, so the balls are always spotted as they fly in. But its just the thought that they would have to hit a provisional (like us) and then have a max time to find thier ball and be sitting 3 lying 4 after they cant find it (like us). But instead because of the watchful eyes they get no penalty at all because its found for them before they even leave the tee box without any effort at all on thier part. Something about that always seemed unfair as how many times we loose balls that would easily be found in thier environment and not to mention we lose plenty which may not even be all that poorly hit. I think the new drop rule for lost and OOB should be dropped to a one stroke penalty instead just for that reason. They can hit it outright horrible and yet always found. Just sayin

Good rule, now they need to stop caddies from helping all pro players read greens, because it's basically the same thing.

It's not the same thing. A read is only useful if the pro hits the intended line and marries it with the speed the caddie was envisioning. In alignment, the pro says "Am I aimed at the second tree on the left?" The caddie doesn't answer "well that depends." It's a yes/no answer.

It's not the same thing. A read is only useful if the pro hits the intended line and marries it with the speed the caddie was envisioning. In alignment, the pro says "Am I aimed at the second tree on the left?" The caddie doesn't answer "well that depends." It's a yes/no answer.

I could certainly see both sides of a "could be" debate with this. I mean in one sense the caddy givning advice like which club to hit and or where to play it, etc has been part of the game for like ever. And we could say that offering advice on the greens is the same thing. But i can also see how one could imply that the player should read the green on his own without assistance there. I culd certainle see how one might say that this should be part of the players skills. Im not saying which way is right or wrong but just that I can see the potential or reasons for one making the argument. They just might have a point there imo.

I'm in favor of this change. It's not an eloquent take but I've always just found it stupid.

I'm in favor of this change. It's not an eloquent take but I've always just found it stupid.
Same, I never liked it and my feeling I fear to be less eloquent.

Not intending to demean the players but it always appeared to me as if something a parent may do with a child. Because I saw that practice at local courses between parent and child long before I saw it on the LPGA.

Back