TJRyska

#LivingtheDream
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.5
1692322201269.png

Thoughts?

I almost never take them. If I do, it is behind the ball and not at address.

I like taking one most times to get a feel for the ground.

I used to take them, but I have stopped doing it for whatever reason. Maybe just trying to play faster.

I’m not taking putting advice from a rando on Twitter, Dr. Izzy Justice.

’negative impact on brain’ sounds like total California Science. And Rory as the example putter? 🤔

How about the study that looks at % of putts made???

Last edited:
Interesting. I take one every time. It allows me to feel if my hands are set right. If they aren’t, I adjust and step up to the ball. If they are, I feel even better about my roll

I rarely do, and if so only behind the ball. I could buy that logic.

Who is Iggy, and whose brains did he scan to get this conclusion? Actually, now I'm curious where this came from and if they had the right to use Rory's likeness next to those quotes. The whole thing looks weird.

Last edited:
If I practice stroke I start second guessing everything, lately a bit more time on line and commit. Been working good with current putter setup

If they scan my brain during putting strokes, or anything else for that matter....all that's gonna come back to them on the readout is 2 chicks at the same time, man

I am going to try this tomorrow.

I like it. I like it a lot.... mainly because I hate taking practice strokes on the green.

I tend to think I putt better with more focus on the hole. Last round i tried the concentrate in the hole (take a good look at it, then putt), and thought it went well. Usually I think pace control is better if I don't look at the ball, only the hole during the putting stroke as well.

I tried the whole "take a practice stroke while looking at the hole" thing, I think there is merit to that over a stare at the ball stroke as well.

I don't know one way or the other about the science, but for me personally it messes with my head. I would say 99.9% of the time my practice strokes in no way resemble my actual stroke necessary to make that particular putt. If I make any practice strokes, it's more of a rhythm and alignment thing off to the side, more so than practicing the putt in front of me. I have much more success when I just step up to the ball and do the math in my head for how hard I need to hit it.

No practice strokes ..
I stand with ball between eyes and hole , look and swing club twice , l have no idea what ima doing it’s just a rhythm thing .
Then it’s l know my line and speed and set and strike , simple and repeated.

Well, I tried this tonight on a few holes and I didn’t notice a positive difference. In fact, I felt less confident in my line and missed left of the hole more often than I normally do.

That’s enough of that experiment for me.

I never take a practice stroke. But then again my putting sucks no matter what.....

I’m firmly in the no practice strokes camp. I like to be as reactive and instinctive as I possibly can when I putt; so all I do is get my read from behind the ball, pick an intermediate target, set the putter, then step in take one look at the hole and go. The more mechanical based thoughts I can remove the better. I‘m sure practice stokes can be helpful for a lot of people though. Confidence has to be as high as possible to putt well so if taking practice strokes makes you feel like you’re going to make putts then that’s probably the way to go.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure until recently as I don't recall doing it. Had someone video me on the range and in play last week and I don't take any practice swings from putter to driver. I play at roughly the same pace as I practice unless the course is backed up.

I'm not sure why a practice swing is bad but I think playing the way we practice is important. I've come to realize that when I practice I do so largely tension free.

I stopped taking practice strokes this year when I started aimpoint as I wanted to ensure my “routine” wasn’t holding things up. Just one of the multiple changes made this year that has translated to better putting for me.

This reminds of Joseph Parent. Not the lack of a practice stoke, but the importance of the visualization of the desired outcome, then “allowing” the body to produce it.

Back