Non-OEM head covers

I had some Pom Pom head covers that my mom knit for me way back in the early 80’s and I wish I still had them but they got lost somewhere in one of our moves.

I started buying leather ones from Stitch and others about 7 or 8 years ago mostly to give my bag a more custom look and I seem to buy a couple new ones each year so I can mix it up a bit. I have about 20 leather wood covers in the collection now. I’m known for not using a head cover on my putter(s), mostly because it annoys some of my OCD playing partners. :)
IMG_0192.jpeg

Last edited:
The Fox from Dahpne's was my first, and I had it for quite a few years. Then I discovered and got more serious into THP, and also a guy at my club got the same one so that signalled a time to change.
Fox.JPG

It was back in the '80s, the brown/tan knit ones with the pom on top.

Do you remember your first? Mine was a Parrot. No particular reason other than my handle is Parrot. Since then I bought a tie-dyed FW cover, a couple of FW covers from bucket list courses and a couple of THP limited edition putter covers. I've received a few putter covers from Experiences and my Secret Santas gave me a THP putter cover, Hideaway FW cover and a Margaritaville driver cover. That's the extent of my collection. I'm cheap so I've shied away but I am kicking myself for not buying at least one Dormie cover. Maybe I'll have the opportunity to remedy that this year.

One thing I've noticed among THPers is that most have quite an extensive collection of covers. What got you started? OEM covers are boring? You bougie?
My first was Brutus Buckeye head cover. I haven't used it recently though with how nice these new head covers slip off. I have liked some of the barstool sports ones they sell at Dicks Sporting Goods.

I've had tons, Seamus, Sunfish, Dormie....course headcovers from Whistling Straights and Baltusrol

My favorite one was the "Reagan / Bush '84" headcover i used for a season. Because i live in Canada and would have been 2yrs old then. It generated a lot of questions when i played with randoms...which literally was the joke

First one I had was from my footy club from back home, Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

I had a Goofy driver headcover when I was a teenager. I think my aunt brought it back from WDW.

I don’t use OEM ones anymore. My first one was a hybrid cover from TPC Harding Park. Now I only use ones from notable courses I’ve played

It began years ago when I still had persimmon clubs in the bag and used socks to try to protect them. They were already beaten up so I was wasting my time. Then, it was just the OEM covers.

Recently I branched out and picked up some non OEM head covers. A scorpion for one fairway, an "F-bombs" cover, and a Scorp cover from @dutchie and one from Dormie. I don't like the thought of having any really high end ones like SWAG or something because I don't want it to be stolen.

I bought a giant chimpanzee that never got on a golf club. Mostly because my daughter claimed it as her own puppet.

I bought a giant chimpanzee that never got on a golf club. Mostly because my daughter claimed it as her own puppet.
That’s what happened to my original Parrot cover. My oldest grandson wanted it when he was 2. I bought another any youngest grandson claimed it. I’m on my third. They think the other covers are good substitutes for boxing gloves.

That’s what happened to my original Parrot cover. My oldest grandson wanted it when he was 2. I bought another any youngest grandson claimed it. I’m on my third. They think the other covers are good substitutes for boxing gloves.
I currently have a Pins and Aces Raphael Ninja Turtles headcover (my son's favorite Ninja Turtle) and a Spiderman Fairway headcover. Both because my son was sitting on my lap when the adds came up and the price wasn't terrible on either. The only one I get to use consistently is the Spiderman because Raphael needs to stay on his tiny putter at all times.

LOL.

My first that meant anything was a St Andrew's wool headcover made in Scotland I picked up when I played the Old Course in the mid 80's. My son found it in a bin in the basement and uses it on a fairway now. It was a driver cover back then. Lol.

Do you remember your first? Mine was a Parrot. No particular reason other than my handle is Parrot. Since then I bought a tie-dyed FW cover, a couple of FW covers from bucket list courses and a couple of THP limited edition putter covers. I've received a few putter covers from Experiences and my Secret Santas gave me a THP putter cover, Hideaway FW cover and a Margaritaville driver cover. That's the extent of my collection. I'm cheap so I've shied away but I am kicking myself for not buying at least one Dormie cover. Maybe I'll have the opportunity to remedy that this year.

One thing I've noticed among THPers is that most have quite an extensive collection of covers. What got you started? OEM covers are boring? You bougie?
Getting a THP headcover for a secret Santa gift really started it for me!

I’m more about trying to match my bag color scheme. Anything else just kicks in my OCD too much lol

I have a mix of oem and some sock ones that matches my color scheme.

My first was either a putter cover from AME that was made for me for Father's Day long ago 2 of them in fact and still have them. Or a Tabasco Birdie in Paradise (parrot perched on a tabasco bottle) that was a gift from my wife also long ago - when Tabasco shirts? had a presence however small on tour - she saw them on TV.

My 1st non-oem headcover was the gopher from Daphne. It lasted several years until I laid it down while cleaning my clubs. My dog got hold of it and that was all she wrote, as they say. :ROFLMAO:

My first one was a Seamus FW cover. I still have it at home.

My first one was a Brutus Buckeye one for my driver- since then, and following folks here on THP I've branched out to discover Swag and Hatch and have a small collection that continues to grow as I see ones that I like.

Still using it, for now cuz it's several years old and getting worn out but I may just get another one cuz nothing else really catches my eye at the moment

1703008322322.png

Last edited:
The first non-OEM headcovers I bought were Club Glove iron covers. I don’t use iron covers now, but I know that was my first purchase when I got the original big Bertha irons

About 25 years ago I received my first non-OEM cover as a gift, it was a SD Chargers cover. It was cheap and cheesy IMO.

Around 2010 a couple friends had their drivers stolen. At the tournament there were dozens of bags in the area and their drivers were cherrypicked from the bunch, both were new Titleist drivers with OEM covers. I decided that day that I would never advertise the woods in my bag with OEM covers.

Can't say I collect covers but I definitely have many. I use all of them with a very small exception. I have flipped some "collectable" covers (SWAG, SC), not to make money, it's more about the thrill of buying and flipping for me.

My current driver cover has dice on it, because hitting a good drive seems to be a crap-shoot...

Many years ago the Bestest half got me a Superman "S" driver cover for obvious reasons...lol then she got me a daly lion i still have today. The 3 wood HC is a THP LE

I bought a gorilla headcover when I was in high school which was a long time ago. Lately I am mostly in Stitch headcovers. I am more of a classic look guy. I do have a Dormie Workshop one which is really nice also.

I think I went with a Rocket Tour pom cover for a driver. Loved those things!

Back