NOOBIE QUESTION ABOUT INSTALLING PULLED SHAFTS

Putterbutter

The Legend
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi everyone! I have a question I cant seem to figure out the right thing to do.

Here is the story, I was fit in July and it turned out I was hitting the Mitsubishi MMT shafts awesome but they were not available yet. I went with the next best option.
I play PXG 5- gap wedge.
I bought a set of pulled shafts for a song but they came from 4-PW.
Should I
A: Soft step them changing flex a bit correct?
B: Install 5 iron in 4 iron shaft down though the set? the irons are strong lofted as it is
C: just use 5 iron -pw shaft and not use 4 iron shaft at all. then just keep my gap wedge the wat it is

thanks for your input PB

Just use the 5-pw and ignore the gap wedge. If you cut them to new length, they’d play stiffer than intended. If you installed with no trimming, then yes they would play softer. That being said, they’d also be a half inch longer than you wanted so that might change your whole setup to the ball and have some unintended consequences.

it’s also easier to do it this way, because you can always try it the other way if you’re not satisfied. If you do the other way first and trim, you are stuck with the results!

First question I would ask is "are you comfortable with the shaft in your wedge currently"? If yes, then I personally would go with installing the 5 - PW and not use the 4 iron shaft.

100% O.K with Gap wedge shaft, I'm just being OCD about set matching. I'll get over it. Thanks guys 5-PW it is!

I agree with the just going 5 - PW comments. You could probably find another wedge shaft for sale somewhere down the line for the GW if you wanted to.

I was in a similar situation, I bought some used TT XP 105 shafts that were pulled from from some Mizunos to replace some TT DG s300s that were too heavy for me, since the Mizuno shafts were 1/4 inch shorter than the stock shafts in my irons, I soft step them once, which left them about 1/4 inch longer than stock, they're still plenty stiff and I'm loving the feel and weight reduction.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back