Northeast Earthquake

I was in Taiwan in 99 for a 7.3 magnitude. That was scary. I was on a 14th floor apartment and feeling the whole building sway to the point that I felt like I was going to be thrown out the window was about as unsettling as it gets..
No thank you!!! Glad you didn't get thrown out that window!

It was definitely a rumble.
Earthquakes are a weird feeling. Thinking about it.. I have been through a lot of them.. I remember feeling the Oakland quake in 89... I remember exactly where I was..

MAybe- but it's pretty significant for around here, generally speaking. There are lots of 2's that most people don't even feel.
Oh for sure I agree. It is very significant for around here.

All good by me. Entire house started shaking and things on the wall were rattling— kind of like a scene in a movie where someone lives by train tracks and the train comes by. But no damage.

Was kinda funny… when it started, I immediately looked outside to see if some big truck has pulled up or if an airplane was flying low over the house. Didn’t expect an earthquake!

Just spoke to a colleague in NYC. He didn’t feel anything but I guess everyone else did

Felt it here in RI. Almost felt like a really strong sustained wind gust, shook the office for a couple of seconds, then immediately went away. I didn't even consider it being an earthquake until I started seeing messages pop up a few minutes later.

Office wall shook for a few seconds. Building was evacuated but let back in soon after.

Called my sister in Sea Girt, NJ and she said she was too busy playing pickleball to notice anything 🤷‍♂️

In the NW suburbs of Philly - didn't feel it at home, but people in the city and suburbs east of me did.

Felt it here in RI. Almost felt like a really strong sustained wind gust, shook the office for a couple of seconds, then immediately went away. I didn't even consider it being an earthquake until I started seeing messages pop up a few minutes later.
I'm on the 6th floor of a 14 story building in Albany and I felt it sitting at my desk. Was brief but I could feel it.

I was in Taiwan in 99 for a 7.3 magnitude. That was scary. I was on a 14th floor apartment and feeling the whole building sway to the point that I felt like I was going to be thrown out the window was about as unsettling as it gets..
Yup that underwear would have needed tossing out.

Was kinda funny… when it started, I immediately looked outside to see if some big truck has pulled up or if an airplane was flying low over the house. Didn’t expect an earthquake!
Did the same thing.

I was on the phone with my son who is outside of Philly when it happened and he said "Did you feel that?"

didn't feel anything here. But we've had 2 earthquakes in the past year that i felt. But none as big as 4.8 i dont think

City is taking it pretty serious- Various Bridges and Tunnel are temporarily closed for inspection and JFK and Newark have temporarily grounded flights. likely to check on safety of Towers and Terminal structures.

City is taking it pretty serious- Various Bridges and Tunnel are temporarily closed for inspection and JFK and Newark have temporarily grounded flights. likely to check on safety of Towers and Terminal structures.
That's good to hear at least.

Felt it on Long Island, here visiting in laws. Thought it was really bad wind as they get bad storms being close to a harbor.

Felt it here in Albany.
yup I'm working from home today and felt it in my basement. I thought a tree fell on my roof or something becuase it was a decent shake.

Great, I’m just about to drive through the city to get home from Long Island. Which bridges are closed?

yup I'm working from home today and felt it in my basement. I thought a tree fell on my roof or something becuase it was a decent shake.
Could feel it downtown. It felt like something hit the building.

Did not feel this one but I remember feeling the Virginia one back in 2011. Not a fan

Great, I’m just about to drive through the city to get home from Long Island. Which bridges are closed?
I would check various traffic reports and the NYC emergency type apps for messages.

Is Laguardia just rolling the dice?

Apparently the fact that the earthquke could be felt at such distances is due to the rock makeup of this area of the USA and it being older and denser.

Back