Nothing says '70's kid like...

Schwinn Sting-ray bike. And if you were really s**t-hot you had Motomags or Tuff Wheels and an Ashtabula stem and cranks!

I can still remember my first skateboard that didn't have the metal wheels - a Trickray Moto-board with Cadillac wheels (urethane) and Chicago trucks. I thought I was livin' large! :cool:

Oh...and Earth, Wind & Fire songs at school dances. "Reasons" still reminds me of slow dancing at proms, haha.

3ncll8f2ibs01.jpg

1463082693-atari-2600-1970s-toys.jpg
For the record I didn't actually get one of these until about 1982.

Going to the drive-in with my dad and best friend and watching all 5 Planet of the Apes movies in one night.

Planet of the Apes
Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Escape from Planet of the Apes
Conquest for Planet of the Apes
Battle for the Planet of Apes

” Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape”

This was the 70s for me ....

IMG_0839.jpg

d8c64a2727d9608335ac6aee97003166.jpg

73409BB5-3284-4D2E-B88D-22AB9A92D9DD.jpeg
Not only a toy, but a weapon. After whacking myself a few times with these, I learned to get good real quick.

For the most part the 70s were my teen years, so aside from my earlier post above, which covered all the 70s, this was a big part of the second half of the decade .....

YAMAHA-IT400D.jpg

For the most part the 70s were my teen years, so aside from my earlier post above, which covered all the 70s, this was a big part of the second half of the decade .....

YAMAHA-IT400D.jpg
This was my (first) '70s bike (not my photo, borrowed from the internetz):

XR75.jpeg

YAMAHA-IT400D.jpg

First thing that comes to mind looking at that bike is Kelly Leak and the Bad News Bears. '70's Greatness.

This says it all for me...

1616563481811.png

Shogun Warriors. I had 3 of these when they came out. Plus the Hair Bear Bunch and Banana Splits Saturday mornings.

1616793945391.png

1617073235680.jpeg

1617073461522.jpeg1617073461522.jpeg

Middle to late 60’s, early 70’s, we’d collect soda bottles and redeem them to collect the 2 cent deposits then head to the penny candy, and ten cent toy rack. Can you imagine selling slingshots like these to 10 year olds today?
We also flew kites which we’d get for a dime and a ball of string for another dime. How about the balsa wood gliders too?

View attachment 8999221GView attachment 8999219View attachment 8999223

Yes then, and yes now. I still buy balsa wood planes when they have them at the hardware store. They're still fun to fly in the backyard.

Mine are in the attic, I just saw them a couple of weeks ago.

View attachment 8999390
Not only a toy, but a weapon. After whacking myself a few times with these, I learned to get good real quick.

I raised a knot on my forehead the first time playing with these. A neighbor kid had some, and brought them over to show me. I begged my momma to give me an advance on my allowance so I could buy my own set.

For us it was riding in the bed of a pickup truck!

I remember this vividly. I rode all over the country in the bed of a truck.

For us it was riding in the bed of a pickup truck!

I agree....I rode in more pickup beds than car seats as a kid.

Jumping out backwards out of the bed of a moving pickup was my first experience with "Moment Of Inertia".

Digging through a new box of cereal for the surprise!

Back