NXT Tour vs 2010 Pro V1x Used Golf Ball Edition

kDiddY

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey Guys,

I have been playing NXT Tour's for the past year and shot some of my best scores with this ball (high 80's). I buy used mint or refinished golfballs online because I cannot afford brand new balls.

I wanted to know what the differences in feel are for NXT Tours vs the 2010 Pro V1X.

I would love to buy a sleeve of the 2010 Pro V1X but obviously it is not sold in stores anymore. Does anyone recall the performance of that ball compared to the older NXT Tour?

Price is so close between the balls on the website I'm looking at that I am considering getting the Pro V1x which I would assume would be a better ball. Just worried that its going to feel like a rock or slice a lot for me.

Would love to hear your opinions or recommendations.

Thanks!

Kevin

I played the Prov1x for a while as well as the nxt tour. If you prefer softness than the Prov1x will be softer that the rock hard nxt tour, i'm not saying prov1 soft but there is more feel in the Prov1x. From my own ball testing, I noticed that the nxt tour is straighter since it's a medium to low spin ball overall and the prov1x had a small but significant fade. Even though it is low driver spin, it can still amplify some driver spin. Overall the prov1x is a "better" ball for high-speed swingers since the compression is much higher and the flight is a nice piercing flight, but like any tour ball the extra side spin can affect your game. If you are comfortable with the NXT tour then continue to play it but don't be afraid to buy a couple of sleeves of the Prov1x to test you will be the best judge on this.

As far as the 2010 vs 2012, the performance is somewhat similar, the main difference that I saw is a little more durability with the newer version but not by much.

If you can live with an a possible amplified fade, then go ahead and buy some prov1x and try them out, the approach spin and the greenside stop and drop technology is a real game changer for me this is something the NXT tour didn't have enough of, it released too much after it hit the green, this is probably since the Prov1x has a urethane cover vs the surlyn cover of the NXT tour.

Last edited:
One ball has a urethane cover and the other surlyn.
If you are looking for a less expensive urethane cover, I would recommend checking out the Bridgestone e5. Im not sure there are other golf balls by a major brand that feature the urethane cover and cost around $25.

I played the Prov1x for a while as well as the nxt tour. If you prefer softness than the Prov1x will be softer that the rock hard nxt tour, i'm not saying prov1 soft but there is more feel in the Prov1x. From my own ball testing, I noticed that the nxt tour is straighter since it's a medium to low spin ball overall and the prov1x had a small but significant fade. Even though it is low driver spin, it can still amplify some driver spin. Overall the prov1x is a "better" ball for high-speed swingers since the compression is much lower and the flight is a nice piercing flight, but like any tour ball the extra side spin can affect your game. If you are comfortable with the NXT tour then continue to play it but don't be afraid to buy a couple of sleeves of the Prov1x to test you will be the best judge on this.

As far as the 2010 vs 2012, the performance is somewhat similar, the main difference that I saw is a little more durability with the newer version but not by much.

If you can live with an a possible amplified fade, then go ahead and buy some prov1x and try them out, the approach spin and the greenside stop and drop technology is a real game changer for me this is something the NXT tour didn't have enough of, it released too much after it hit the green, this is probably since the Prov1x has a urethane cover vs the surlyn cover of the NXT tour.

Thank you so much for this! I do seem to notice that when I hit the green the ball runs off the green alot. Is that spin related? I much prefer to chip at the flag then trying to guess how far it will run out. Sounds like the Pro V1x would work then. I do have a faster swing speed with my woods (109mph) but with my irons I have kind of slowed my swing down which has produced more accuracy for me this year. Does that make a difference on choosing this ball?

Thanks again for all our answers guys!

Thank you so much for this! I do seem to notice that when I hit the green the ball runs off the green alot. Is that spin related? I much prefer to chip at the flag then trying to guess how far it will run out. Sounds like the Pro V1x would work then. I do have a faster swing speed with my woods (109mph) but with my irons I have kind of slowed my swing down which has produced more accuracy for me this year. Does that make a difference on choosing this ball?

Thanks again for all our answers guys!

Yeah the ball running off the green is due to lower greenside spin, I say give the prov1x a chance, it's my ball of choice when I can afford it haha. You'll have no problem with your swing speed then, and it should make such a difference with a slower iron swing since most of us slow it down for the irons anyways. And yes slowing down your swing allows you to have better timing and temp but as far as ball choosing it won'y make any difference besides proper ball striking, I hope the prov1x works for you!

Overall the prov1x is a "better" ball for high-speed swingers since the compression is much lower and the flight is a nice piercing flight, but like any tour ball the extra side spin can affect your game.

May want to look into this one a little more. Not exactly correct here.

The ProV1x is "better" for higher swingers because of the higher compression, not lower.

If you're not holding greens the ball is one factor but technique is the biggest factor. Are you hitting down on the ball and making crisp contact? Are your grooves good?

The ProV1x is "better" for higher swingers because of the higher compression, not lower.

If you're not holding greens the ball is one factor but technique is the biggest factor. Are you hitting down on the ball and making crisp contact? Are your grooves good?

Tha's what I was aiming for haha,

I use a site that let's me pick the vintage of used balls. Mint ProV1x are $23 per dozen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

May want to look into this one a little more. Not exactly correct here.

yeah I just noticed it, I meant higher compression

yeah I just noticed it, I meant higher compression

That and the other info is not completely accurate either. While compression of the golf ball can play a large role in maximizing a ball for an individual, so does spin off the driver and finding a ball that will raise or lower one's spin off the tee, can have a huge impact in whether or not they are maximizing their distance. Just because someone swings hard at the ball, does not mean they create enough spin (or have too much spin) to give them proper launch conditions.

Yeah the ball running off the green is due to lower greenside spin, I say give the prov1x a chance, it's my ball of choice when I can afford it haha. You'll have no problem with your swing speed then, and it should make such a difference with a slower iron swing since most of us slow it down for the irons anyways. And yes slowing down your swing allows you to have better timing and temp but as far as ball choosing it won'y make any difference besides proper ball striking, I hope the prov1x works for you!

I just wanted to thank you so much for your help! Got the Pro V1x's today and had time to sneak in 9... Best score I have ever shot was 41 on 9 holes. Today shot 38! Every shot was sticking.... Chipping and and full shots were great! Even out of the bunker it bounced two short hops then just stopped... I did notice the ball seemed to go slightly shorter on drives than the nxt tour... Maybe it was just the way I was hitting it today. Putting feel was way different, I'll have to get used to the feel and I'll be dynamite. Didn't notice much side spin so overall extremely happy! Thanks again!

I'm really glad they worked out for you, the Prov1x really is a great ball! I hope you play even better than before! That's good that you didn't see much side spin!

ProV1x is a great ball. Been playing them for 6 years and I have yet to be let down by a year.

Back