Old Clubs - What Do You Do???

I have 2 clubs that used to belong to my dad, so I will never get rid of those

My previous set of clubs are sitting in the house, and I will keep them around in case we get any friends who stay with us that play and want a round

I built an extra men's & woman's set for when we have visitors who want to play while they are in town. The rest of the clubs I donate to our local Boys & Girls club.

I've sold, traded in, and given sets of irons away to my brothers who were just getting into the game. I don't have a lot of extra clubs lying around.

I keep a lot of old clubs especially sets of irons. Those that I don’t normally go to buddies and I currently have at least a dozen buddies or sons of buddies that are playing with at least one of my old clubs.

I have my one backup set, any other random clubs I have I either give to family/friends or donate.

I frequently give them to friends who are in the market, or “sell” them to them for the price of a beer if they insist on buying. But really, I love being the guy who has a lot of options that most people wouldn’t try to increase exposure and I treat my bags as open to hit by anyone. (Covid has reduced that to make my actual gamers more or less off limits on the course but that will go away)

I do have a small collection of old clubs that are gathering in an old staff bag at the moment. Just havent gotten around to moving them out.

Agreed! my dad has a bunch of my stuff I either didnt like or he tried my stuff and then went and got one for his own. For the most part I try to find older club(s) and then give them away to the basketball players I coach in High School. During the summer open session time we always have one day that we golf instead of practice. It absolutely brings me a ton of joy when I see that a majority of the players are still playing after high school and with the same sets that were given to me to pass on, or sets i gave them that I had owned.

I rarely if ever sell clubs unless I buy to try and immediately move on. Even in those cases I usually end up having a friend who wants whatever I picked up.

For stuff laying around? It almost always finds a home with someone locally. I love being the guy who can support my buddies in things they want to experiment with.

Oh, and my Dad. I am pretty sure his entire 14 is my doing at this point, which feels effing incredible as a Son.

I donated one of my older sets a couple of years ago. Now I only keep a few spares of certain clubs. I have traded before as well. I don't think I ever have sold anything. :)

I will keep a few that rotate through the bag for various reasons. Four of these clubs are older fairway woods/hybrids/utility irons that I hit well and work in and out of my bag depending on where I am playing and the conditions. I typically will carry three out of the four.

Putters I also keep around as well. The rest of the clubs, I either sell or give to my brother or friends who play a handful of times every year. I usually won't get rid of them until I know for sure it won't work its way back into the bag.

I sell, trade, give some away. Heck I've donated some to charity. Whatever keeps the hoard thinned out enough that the cave doesn't get too cluttered. Rarely have enough for two full sets. Usually lacking wedges or a driver. Not really sentimental so I don't keep a ton of stuff over time. Except for fairways. I seem to collect those for some reason. Lol

I’ll keep, sell, or give away depending on clubs and who they are going to.

i've given to goodwill. recently gave a family member and a fried a set of irons. Have some drivers piling up.

tend to keep the putters. never know when I want to put one back in the bag

I don’t keep anything I’m no longer using. I try to sell online first and then trade in if necessary.

First trade in if I can get a decent price. Second offer them to the group I golf with for the price of a round and lunch. Third donate to First Tee, they either use them with the kids or sell them for the cash to use with the prrogram.

I have sold some. I gave some to my dad and my brother. I've donated some of them to local youth programs.

Ha! I was just hitting balls with my Wilson Staff 7-iron from 30+ years ago. That, I think, tells you all you need to know about what I do with old clubs! Seriously, though, I do that with everything. And by the way, mishits on those old blades STILL hurt like hell!

I have my last three iron sets and a bunch of wedge heads, all are stamped in some way so they have no reals value unless I find someone with my initials. I was also given all of the irons through reps and staff arrangements. I have given away several drivers/woods that I have collected as well. I never sell or trade in anything that was given to me, just doesn’t feel right to make money on something like that.

I tend to stuff them in the attic and then forget about them.

Eventually they get found and traded in for pennies.

Most clubs have gone to my son as I upgrade. Wish I was more educated on how to use Ebay, BST etc. My kids talk about venmo, I don't have a clue. It seems the trade in at a GG is very low and not worth it.

I have a full gamer set, a full backup set and the backup to the backup set of irons. I'll use the backups 2-3 times a year to keep them happy. Shot my lowest round ever with the third backup set. That's why they are still around. Also. still have the very first set I ever bought. Nicklaus Golden Bears which are in the man cave. Golf clubs and guitars are my weakness.

Back