OldandStiff's search for iron graphite!

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
This is the year it happens!!!

Despite what some think, I am old inside. Bunch of unrepaired and needing replaced things, a ribcage like a vase that's been shattered and glued back together multiple times, and because of what I do and winning the genetic lottery, my hands are getting very arthritic.

So I will keep track of my pursuit of finding a graphite iron shaft for me here.

Backstory - I've tried a bunch in the past, and usually revisit pretty often. Hasn't been great. Some fine, bit never fell in love with any.

Issues:

1. There aren't a lot of heavier graphite shafts
2. Some of what there are, are darn expensive
3. They're hard to find to demo
4. I'm used to the feel of steel

Plan:
1. Find or get things to test
2. Test like crazy
3. Pick the best, get over myself, and go with it.
4. Enjoy the blissful benefits

Action:
1. I ordered Steelfiber 125CW and LaGolf L Series 7 iron shafts.
2. Found MMT 125TX locally to hit.
3. Edit: ordered a KBS TGI 110 too

And some initial MMT results will be in the next post.

Last edited:
I had a chance to hit some stuff a couple months ago, and had played and was hurting. Asked the rep to give me a heavy graphite hoping to ease the pain of trying the heads. Gave me an MMT 125TX, and I actually got it really well. Took special notice if that because something I hit well on a bad body day is big for me.

Found it at a place here and hit it again yesterday. And hit my own shaft DG120 X100. Results were interesting.

20221129_174522.jpg

Was just getting going with the MMT, so swung the DG a touch faster, but there was a big difference in spin axis. This was the first 3 with the MMT.

20221129_191246.jpg

And then I just couldn't stay off the left with my own shaft. Delivering more closed consistently, and seriously only hit this one fairly straight shot.

So that was a good start and I will revisit this shaft again before the others get here.

Edit: test club was P7MC because that's what the MMT is tipped for (TM)

Last edited:
Recoil 125s! You are welcome!

They are harder to come by.

Recoil 125s! You are welcome!

They are harder to come by.
They are actually not on my list. I do not get along well with the Recoil profile. I should have put that in the initial. I have tried Recoils a lot over the years. Not a great fit. I will revisit to cover all bases though.

They are actually not on my list. I do not get along well with the Recoil profile. I should have put that in the initial. I have tried Recoils a lot over the years. Not a great fit. I will revisit to cover all bases though.
Whatever you go with, your body will thank you.

Takes a lot of stress off the body.

Following closely. My problem is my little over the top hit impulse, which is slowly being eradicated, but am looking for something heavier 96 gram min and regular flex to launch the ball.

Sorry to hijack @OldandStiff

Last edited:
I won't stand for numbers like that. You better get to work! 😂

I'll just say that as a 50-something who's had some rather extensive traumatic injuries over the years and subsequent chronic pain, there a point where it's worth a loss in performance to beat yourself up less.

That point may be different for you. I get that it that it's harder to accept a performance loss when you're baseline is higher, I really do. It's still, at some point, well worth it.

will follow along because of common interest.

If you want smooth, Accra might have everyone beat. Just not sure they have a 125 in icwt 2.0. I hit the 115x and it was pretty fantastic. I’m at 92 mph with a 7i and a smooth transition. I think you might be a little more quick at the top than I am and faster.

I'll just say that as a 50-something who's had some rather extensive traumatic injuries over the years and subsequent chronic pain, there a point where it's worth a loss in performance to beat yourself up less.

That point may be different for you. I get that it that it's harder to accept a performance loss when you're baseline is higher, I really do. It's still, at some point, well worth it.
Wholeheartedly agree. I liked the dispersion of the KBS shafts I had but my hands did not like the vibration that came with them. It's a world of difference with graphite.

If you want smooth, Accra might have everyone beat. Just not sure they have a 125 in icwt 2.0. I hit the 115x and it was pretty fantastic. I’m at 92 mph with a 7i and a smooth transition. I think you might be a little more quick at the top than I am and faster.

Good call. A lot of big time players who come up to the CC I go to play the Accra's.

I really enjoyed hitting the Dart 105 but am concerned about the weight. Im likely not as educated about all this stuff as you not have your skill level but I’m gonna give them the good ole college try.

This will be a fun follow along! Good luck in your search

I was trying to look up some Accra options the other day. Already flirting with some pricey options so why not.

Ok Mr. NotSoOldButReallyStiff, I know you know your game, but have you thought about an iron fitting at a Club Champion? I'm sure they have the heavier graphite shafts and $175 would be cheaper than buying a handful of shafts. And with as well as you know your game, your fitter might just let you go ham on whatever you want.

You will be back in steel in no time flat. They will never feel or play like steel and you are too particular about what you play. Look into the vibration dampening inserts that you add to your existing shafts.

Who is this guy wanting Graphite? Must be some old cogger :LOL:

I have my eye on the new heavier Recoil Darts. I've always been fit into heavier shafts for my swing. Latest being 115g steel shafts.

But after breaking my arm last year they felt a little harsh by the end of 27 holes we usually play on Thursdays
Looking forward to your search.

I've got the 110 iSeries Accra trimmed into a "stiff" flex. If you need some to demo I'd be happy to send for you to demo a bit.

This is going to be a good follow. I moved back to steel this season after being in graphite for around 3-4 years, and noticed much more left to right consistency. Could be change in shaft profile, could be weight, could be a lot of things. But what I *do* know is that I don't want to deal with tennis elbow again and at 47, my joints aren't getting any younger. So long term I'd prefer to be back in graphite. Eager to see what the results of this search end up being.

I've got the 110 iSeries Accra trimmed into a "stiff" flex. If you need some to demo I'd be happy to send for you to demo a bit.
Very nice of you. Thanks. I'm going to ask around the next few days and see who might have some for me to try. Someone has to. If not I'll probably order one. Want to build a few things up for head to head comparison.

MMT 125TX is going to win just saying haha. I thought they felt pretty great.

I agree though. There’s a severe lack of graphite options in the 120-130g range. I’m back in steel for now. But it was more of a cost saving measure than anything else. I have a feeling I’ll be back in mmt at some point.

Ok Mr. NotSoOldButReallyStiff, I know you know your game, but have you thought about an iron fitting at a Club Champion? I'm sure they have the heavier graphite shafts and $175 would be cheaper than buying a handful of shafts. And with as well as you know your game, your fitter might just let you go ham on whatever you want.
I have, but I like to hit things over multiple days, and build my own stuff, so I like to have test things around.

Back