Opposite Side of the Spectrum?

I think I would struggle at first but give me little practice and probably play about average

How would you fare?
See I titled this in a way to make people skim less :ROFLMAO:

If you play musclebacks, this would mean hybrid irons.
If you play hybrid irons, this would mean muscle backs.
If you are in a players distance iron, this would mean muscle backs or hybrid irons.
If you are in a game improvement iron, this would mean players cavity

How would you fare?
If game improvement would mean going to player cavity, then the reverse would also be true. I am playing player cavity, so I would go to game improvement. I played Cobra F9 irons in the ‘19 Morgan Cup. It was fine. I think I could easily play something like Mizuno Hot Metals and would score just about the Same.

How would you fare?
See I titled this in a way to make people skim less :ROFLMAO:

If you play musclebacks, this would mean hybrid irons.
If you play hybrid irons, this would mean muscle backs.
If you are in a players distance iron, this would mean muscle backs or hybrid irons.

How would you fare?
Players cavity? Hahahahahahahaha I’d not fare well at all

Would be tough initially... and then I'd probably settle into a similar level of not good golf :banghead:

I think I could go from what I play and game MB's, but having hit a few hybrids sets I'd be hard pressed to game them. I know hybrid sets make the game easier, but I don't need much help with launch. MB's look wise I'be always enjoyed. I think it would cause me to continue to find my best iron swing too, and challenge me a lot, maybe too much haha.

I currently play Ben Hogan Edge irons from 2018 (I know it’s time to upgrade!). I recently had the chance to play an Edel SMS 7 iron and I hit the ball slightly further and kept it in line with my target. It did take some practice since it has movable weights and I needed to find the right spot for my swing. With that outcome, I think I could definitely switch to a players iron and have just as much fun. I think I would also learn more since I wouldn’t have the same game improvement forgiveness.

Worse with muscle backs and likely better with hybrid irons.

How would you fare?
^ I guess the above is where I'd fall with my current Mavrik (standard) irons. I think of player's cavity irons as being over my head, but with the advancements in tech recently (and the future advancements you alluded to in the WGP a couple weeks ago), I don't think I'd fare as badly as I might have a few years ago. They may not be an optimal fit for my game, but maybe they wouldn't be a horrible mismatch either.

It would be a massive visual switch going to some hybrid irons but I’d figure it out eventually I think.

I’d opt for MBs over Hybrids. I think I would do decent but I would definitely have some sore wrists

I’ve played CB’s before and did okay. Long irons would be interesting though. I think that I’d probably loose 2 strokes. They sure do feel an sound nice though.

In players distance now and would def go muscle backs. I think I'd fare quite well. I used to play MP68s and loved the feedback and ability to more easily produce shot trajectories.

I don't think that I would fare well. I'm in Callaway Apex 19s which, I believe, are a players distance iron. So my choice is muscle backs or hybrid irons. The look of hybrid irons at address make me want to vomit and I don't have the game for muscle backs which is what I would choose given the options.....

Last edited:
I play game improvement irons. I also have a 56/10S Vokey SM9 and a Glide 58/6 TS that may not be all that different from hitting a players cavity back.
When necessary I can precisely hit my irons to pick the ball off wet sand and similar lies. I spent this season working on ball striking.

More than likely I'd play the same as I'm retired and can practice every day the weather allows!

Last edited:
Based on the fitting I recently had, not as bad as I would've thought. I'm pretty sure my current irons would be classified GI, and I hit a couple player's cavities pretty well. In fact I'm considering switching to some (923 HMP) soon.

I’m not sure that players cavity irons would work for me. My ball striking with irons leads me to believe that I would struggle with any irons other than the game improvement irons I currently play.

Currently in MB's that I really enjoy. The thought of hybrid irons is scary. I have visions of short irons going a mile high with no precision. I could make it work but it's not something I'd enjoy.

Still probably missing most greens and having to make up for it with scrambling :LOL:

I play a blended set of player distance and GI so going MB would not go well, hybrids I've played in the past and was just so inconsistent for some reason and couldn't figure out.

Still probably missing most greens and having to make up for it with scrambling :LOL:
I already do that with GIs, how much worse could it be with CBs? :LOL:

I already do that with GIs, how much worse could it be with CBs? :LOL:
Exactly! Probably still average within a couple strokes of my current average score

I'm in Players Distance, so if it was hybrid irons, then a complete disaster, and I would probably give up. I can not hit a hybrid at all. MBs though I could hit but would lose distance from off-center hits with mid and long irons, but I could probably make it work.

A

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Muscle backs to hybrid irons several numerous times with no difference in scores really due to lack of consistency in my game. I’m away from golf 28 days at time due to my job. My misses are actually better, more on line, with my muscle backs though and they ALWAYS wind back up in the bag. I’m just more consistent with them but hybrid irons are a hoot to hit.

Right now I’m “game improvement/players” in the standard Apex. I will truly know the answer after about 10 rounds with the CBs. I didn’t have massive changes compared to the King Tours other than much needed lower spin.

Back